LegacyGT.com

Need help coilovers or struts springs???

Jimmy78

i am looking to get some suspension goodies for my 05 lgt, i was looking at tein flex coilovers which i liked alot but i was told and read up that there to bouncy, bad highway drive....i was also guna get koni struts adjustable and cobb springs.. but read up that cobb springs are not good due to the way it wears the strut out so please help!!

i heard about pinks.. i dont no much about them.. r they better then the cobb spsrings and how much to they lower the car..and bilsteins cost i what kinda range and r they adjustable dampening??

I ride Tokico HTS and Swifts. With Spec B top hats and remote adjusters I sill paid under $1000 delivered. Great set up for the money, struts are fully adjustable and are bolt in replacement (no cutting like Konis).

My $0.2

i should have just done that.....i didn't know they could be had for so cheap, where did you get the tokico's from?

I purchased the set of Tokico struts from www.shox.com. The company is located in El Cajon California. No I don't work there or know anyone who does. I used to live in the area and knew of the store. The part number on their website is HTS006. I paid $579.00 delivered to NY. I got my Spec B top hats from Jeremy at Fred Beans Parts (I try to use vendors from the site when I can), paid $100.00 delivered. I got the Swift springs from www.hopupracing.com, price was $292.00 delivered to NY. Thats $971.00 delivered for a complete suspension package that I am very happy with for a daily driver. :)

i think im goin cobb springs with stock struts for now i been told by many cobb was made for stock since my car only has 40k on it and im doin whitline sway bars and endlinks

Cobb is a decent choice if you are keeping your stock struts. The stockers are valved way too soft for many of the aftermarket performance springs. I would never have run the Swifts on the stockers.

With the set up you are mentioning you might not need endlinks, but they are a good idea with the stiffer sways.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the project! :)

If you don't mind cutting up your stock struts, Koni inserts are a great option and are a higher quality damper than Tokicos. They can be paired with STI pinks or Eibachs

Lets not rehash the Koni vs. Tokico debate. :spin:

My old man raced for Team DATSUN in a 1972 510 riding Konis. So its needless to say that I have caught much sh*t over the years for running Tokicos (this is my third car with Tokicos).

:soap_box:Konis are GREAT struts. Tokicos are GREAT struts. Tokicos are generally easier to install (direct replacement vs. cutting). Tokico also developed the twin-tube low-pressure gas shock absorber that is used by many manufacturers today. Tokicos warranty guarantees against manufacturing defects and WEAR OUT for as long as the purchaser owns the car they are installed on (passenger cars, no racing, etc.).

But Konis are GREAT struts. Its a matter of personal preference I have driven many cars with both. :)

Lets not rehash the Koni vs. Tokico debate. ....

Didn't mean to start up a debate. Both are much better performing struts than stock. I will mention that all KONI dampers are tested on a shock dyno when they are manufactured. Most fully-adjustable coilover manufacturers do not even do this. :) Some people probably could care less but I thought it was worth mentioning. Ultimately it is personal preference like you said.

do you do any motorsports like your dad? does he still have the 510?

do you do any motorsports like your dad? does he still have the 510?

I turned wrenches for dad as a kid. It was usually us and a few of his buddies in 510's vs. "the enemy" in BMW 2002's. Used to do road courses and slaloms.

I "retired" from racing quads (motocross) about 5 years ago. Ran a series or two in the vet classes since, but nothing serious. Permanent injuries keep me from doing what I love on a bike. :mad: Never had the money to build a true race car (and maintain it) but I have had a few sweet street racers. Just getting into quad racing almost bankrupted me before I finally got enough sponsorship.

No, the 510's are long gone now. I recall the last one being sold around 1991. My dad replaced it with a Sentra SE-R that year and the world of fuel injection was introduced to me. He now has a 2001 WRX (I got him an AP, stage 1 for his birthday) and a 2007 S-2000 (at least we agree on the Subarus). :lol:

lol "the enemy" 2002

Yeah, funny how much he loved to shove it in their faces that his Japanese car that cost $2500 could blow away their German cars. Every now and then a Porsche 914 "poor mans Porsche" would show up and leave with its tail between its legs. :lol:

bilsteins are overrated. If you are going the spring ad strut route, get Konis and pinks.

Agreed. I drove, a Spec B, stage 2 cobb AP at Pocono North this past weekend, back to back with my Stage nothing LGT which has Konis and Pinks and the handling was DRAMATICALLY better on my car than the Spec B. I was easily turning 2-3 seconds per lap faster, with probably 80hp less (Not sure what the Stage 2 v. Stage nothing is).

-mike

I would recommend coilovers, they ride a little harsh compared to stock but its really worth it to customize ride height and the stiffness. I had Megan Racing and all I can say is stay far away from them, they are cheep and worthless. Ride harsh, clunk all the time, and cannot handle even a small bump. I have driven my moms Hyundai and bumps that make an audible and harsh thump were nothing more then a slight twitch. When one exploded on me at 60mph from a small pothole in the highway they went in a dumpster and at set of Stance GT+ were put in.

Stance makes a great coilover package for the Legacy, they ride better then Megan Racing ones and the car handles way better. I have gotten nothing but compliments on them as well on ride quality, handling, looks, and product quality. The shop I got them installed at has mostly Honda guys running Tien Flex and they were extremely impressed buy the build quality and features, they were surprised that they were less then their setups. I got them through Touge Factory (http://shop.tougefactory.com) talk to Earl on AIM (TF EarlQHan on AIM) and he really took the time to explain the product and went as far as to helping me pick spring rates based on my needs. He also added in helper springs on the front struts as well.

Stock springs on them are 6k front and 6k rear, I went with 7k front and 8k rear, and the ride is a bit harsh compared to stock but fine. Most people in metro areas may find it a bit too much but the stock rates will be more suited to daily driving in those areas.

Springs are a good but they do take away from the over all travel of the strut and can shorten the life of the strut if they are too soft of rates. Coilovers have the same travel no matter how low or high the car is so lowering the car will not affect strut lifespan.

Good luck and sorry about the long post :lol:

Just remember that with coilovers you get what you pay for. I have an entry level brand and wish I had saved up some more $ to get better ones. I opted for the ability to ride height and damping adjust instead of having the fixed drop amounts of a comparably priced spring/shock combo.

Archived