LegacyGT.com

Need help coilovers or struts springs???

Jimmy78

Again, unless you are RACING, Tracking or Auto-xing your car on a fairly regular basis and are fairly advanced level, coilovers are NOT what you want. If you want them for car-show purposes, then yes, coilovers are cool to get.

Sorry but anyone who says you NEED coilovers for street driving is just lying to you to either a)justify their own purchase or b)sells them or has some other interest in the sale of coilovers.

I've been racing for years on road course, instructing for longer than that and most folks who come to the track with all the fancy stuff like R compounds and coilovers, wind up washing out because they mask areas where they need to improve and become smooth.

-mike

again, unless you are racing, tracking or auto-xing your car on a fairly regular basis and are fairly advanced level, coilovers are not what you want. If you want them for car-show purposes, then yes, coilovers are cool to get.

Sorry but anyone who says you need coilovers for street driving is just lying to you to either a)justify their own purchase or b)sells them or has some other interest in the sale of coilovers.

I've been racing for years on road course, instructing for longer than that and most folks who come to the track with all the fancy stuff like r compounds and coilovers, wind up washing out because they mask areas where they need to improve and become smooth.

-mike

+1

Again, unless you are RACING, Tracking or Auto-xing your car on a fairly regular basis and are fairly advanced level, coilovers are NOT what you want. If you want them for car-show purposes, then yes, coilovers are cool to get.

Sorry but anyone who says you NEED coilovers for street driving is just lying to you to either a)justify their own purchase or b)sells them or has some other interest in the sale of coilovers.

I've been racing for years on road course, instructing for longer than that and most folks who come to the track with all the fancy stuff like R compounds and coilovers, wind up washing out because they mask areas where they need to improve and become smooth.

-mike

Thats fine. All I know is that everyone on this forum who had any form of Koni/Swift/Pink/Cobb/Bilstein/whatever shock combo, then switched over to a set of properly designed coilovers (RCE T1s/KWv2s) has raved at how much better their cars perform is all aspects of driving.

Id much rather spend the money and get a quality suspension than something that is travel limited and NOT matched.

Ah yes, the old "everyone on the forums says XYZ"

See note "a" above in the quote.

:) Emporer's new clothes... :)

If it makes one happy I have no problem taking peoples $ to install anything they want, but I'm a firm believer in being honest about performance parts and WHO can benefit from them.

-mike

Id much rather spend the money and get a quality suspension than something that is travel limited and NOT matched.

And something that is meant for RACING, which means it sits on a trailer in a shop 99% of the time. Something that is meant to be rebuilt every 1-2 seasons of racing. There is a reason they are labelled "for off road use only".

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you about this though, internet muscles or internet racers don't impress folks at the track.

-mike

I'm sure the RCE coilovers are worth it and had them in mind earlier this year (a back surgery derailed that thought). I've had Koni's paired with IONs for about three weeks now (even got to do an Autocross last week). Extremely happy with the result. Look for a write up this weekend comparing my old setup (swifts and stock dampers) with the Kon'is/IONs . It's not a bad way to go for the budget minded.

Archived