LegacyGT.com

AVO TMIC and GFB BOV HELP!!!!

Verwilderd

Ok, so I've got a question and can't seem to figure out what's going on....

Yesterday I installed an AVO TMIC. Had some gasket trouble but was able to solve that with some rtv....but my question is this: As I was switching from the stock IC to the AVO one, I took my GFB bov (which was on the stock ic) and installed that onto the AVO and now for some reason the piston in the bov will not budge. Any ideas as to why or how I can fix this? It was working just fine on the stock IC and I have had the bov on the car since dec....so it's not that old.

Here's what I have done so far (so as to weed these ideas out):

First was to adjust the spring on the bov....I loosened it soooo much that the spring was mostly out (only a few threads on the screw left). Then when that didn't work, I took the bov off, check to make sure the piston could move and pushed on it with my finger....everything seemed fine.

When I first had the bov installed, I used the gasket it came with, but noticed such a huge opening on the tmic and such a small one on the gasket that I just took it off (also because with the rtv, it ripped the gasket). So when I reinstalled it, I didn't use a gasket and just used rtv. I checked for leaks and there were none, and then bov would open slightly at shifts above 5500 rpms....so I loosened the spring some almost till the screw was out and still nothing. On revs (while the car was stationary) above 4K the piston wouldn't budge. So at this point I'm out of ideas. I can't think of anything that could have happened to the bov as I moved it straight from the stock ic to the avo.

**and to those who might say put the stock one on, I don't have it anymore, so I can't. So I need to try and sort everything with this one.

The only thing I can think of is that I might need a softer spring, but that's usually for the fmic's...not the top mounts.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

And sorry for the long post...just trying to be as thorough as possibe. Thanks in advance!

That's crazy I've got the same setup and not a problem. I'd think about taken the top off, and using some oil from the dip stick or some if you have an open quart around. Lube it up, and give it a shot. Don't cake it, just a light, light coat on the inside. Also take some starter fluid and spray around the intake hose, if the engine revs, you got a leak. I bought the AVO intake hose just so I wouldn't run into the issue of havin to pull the inner sleeve out of the stock hose.

well I know I'm not leaking cuz I can't feel anything and my logs from tuning all look good. So i doubt that. I might have to take the bov apart and clean although I can't figure out why it would all of the sudden need it when I was working just fine a few hours before...

I'd start there. Might just need a good cleaning. I'd imagine the stock IC was putting a lot of pressure on it, and now since the bigger IC some less pressure? Stage 2? Are you running 50/50, recirc, or vent to atmo? Maybe a change in setup?

just installed perrin tmic and had same issue. take off TMIC and tuck the vacuum line (the little rubber hose that slides on the little brass nipple of the BV)where it crosses underneath the tmic about mid way. I bet you will see it is getting pinched off like mine did. Good luck

just installed perrin tmic and had same issue. take off TMIC and tuck the vacuum line (the little rubber hose that slides on the little brass nipple of the BV)where it crosses underneath the tmic about mid way. I bet you will see it is getting pinched off like mine did. Good luck

I was checking that and I think you're right. I feel the vacuum line being pinched. It's hard to tell for sure but I will take off the ic and move the line. I'm pretty sure that's the problem. I will buy some rtv tomorrow and try that to see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Ok, well I got the problem fixed. The vacuum line was pinched. So everything has been sorted out. Thanks for everyone's help.

Mods, you can delete this thread if you want.

Why in the heck would you delete the thread? This thread would be very useful for people having the same problem in the future...

Ok, well I got the problem fixed. The vacuum line was pinched. So everything has been sorted out. Thanks for everyone's help.

It's a tight fit with the Perrin TMIC as well.

Had to position the TMIC to ensure that the line didn't get pinched.

Glad to hear it worked out.

Archived