LegacyGT.com

automatic seat belt

I just bought this 92 legacy L and all is fine except the auto seat belts do not work. I have to use the emergency button to release the shoulder belts and manually push the should belt in when I drive the car. Does any one know where the controller is located ? A schematic diagram will help a lot. I have the Haynes manual but it is useless for me.

Thanks for the help.

It might be a fuse. If both of the units don't work it unlikely that they both have their own problems. The same problem is probably affecting both shoulder belts.

I've driven a few cars with automatic seat belts, and the Legacy by far has the most ergonomic, best designed autobelts by far (I'm sure you'll agree once you actually get a chance to see how they work. ;)).

The only time they can be a pain is if you've got some takeout food and you're trying to get the food past the retracting autobelts when you open the door.... The belts kinda try to dump the food all over the place, but I'm getting better at opening the door before I grab the food.

Thank you guys. I looked at both fuse panel covers and I can not find any fuse labeled for the seat belt. Guess I have to remove every fuse to see if they are blown. I am assuming there are only two fuse panels in the Legacy. Am I right ?

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I spent 4 hours on the problem and finally fixed it. The problem is a broken wire from the door to the body. I think what I have learned may help others who has problem with their seat belts.

1. The previous owner has unplugged the controller ( behind the left rear side panel ) because of the problem and force the seat belt latch on the side to the rear by force. This cause the cable that move the latch to come out of its slot. I have to remove the whole mechanism to repair this. Remove both front and rear plastic threshold, pull up the side panel between front and back seat and the motor will be exposed. you can test the motor by applying power directly to it. Remove the top moldings both front and back and the mounting screw for the whole thing will be exposed.

2. There are several switches that the controller monitors. Forward limit switch, and two rear limit switches. There is also a single throw double pole switch at the door latch in the door. Three wires from that switch that go to the body and one of them is broken ( open circuit ) on my car.

3. If you remove the plastic housing of the controller and slide out the printed circuit board, you will see four black relays. You can put the plugs back in and make sure the board won't touch anything. On top of the relays, there is a tiny hole which you can put a pin in and activate the relays. One relay will move the seat belt latch forward and the other back. So you can sort of test if the motor is the problem.

4. If you want the circuit diagram, get the Chilton manual #8259 from your library, the newer one has a lot less information.

Hope this helps.

Archived