LegacyGT.com

tripping engine cover for Perrin TMIC

FPerron

Can someone post the details of how to trim the engine cover to get a tight fit around a Perrin TMIC? I know a strip at the rear of the cover needs to go. How about the lip that sticks down at the front of the opening? Also, What did you use to do the cutting? Can I use an attachment for my electric drill, or do I need to buy a dremmel or something?

Thanks.

BTW, I'm not "tripping." It's just that bthis forum won't let me edit the topic title.

Hey i have trimmed mine, its pretty easy all you need a dremel or if you have an eletric drill you will need to outfit it with a cutting wheel. Careful cause the plastic melts off as you cut so you will want to do it outside or a properly ventiliated area.

You need to cut the top and a little of the sides i will post up pictures if you want.

BTW i saw your car AT ESP in MA when i was getting tuned by TA mike. That thing is stripped down to the bone almost. Didn't realize you had a 40bb either.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Hey i have trimmed mine, its pretty easy all you need a dremel or if you have an eletric drill you will need to outfit it with a cutting wheel. Careful cause the plastic melts off as you cut so you will want to do it outside or a properly ventiliated area.

You need to cut the top and a little of the sides i will post up pictures if you want.

BTW i saw your car AT ESP in MA when i was getting tuned by TA mike. That thing is stripped down to the bone almost. Didn't realize you had a 40bb either.

I just got it back from ESP and am now putting miles on it so Mike can tune for water/meth injection and Torco.

Very cool and you have lachute mufflers too, just curious i was inspecting them and i wanted to know are the tips oxidized beyond repair by polishing? I know you might not care about it but just curious.

I will post up engine cover pics tonight.

As far as tools though i would definitely recommend a dremel. As for a dremel i recommend Proxxon(http://www.proxxon.com/us/html/popupindex.html). I have it and love it. Way better quality than "Dremel". Hell i used the proxxon to cut off bolts from my old exhaust.

Can you pm me what you have done to your car thus far and how much you put down on the ESP dyno? Or just post it on here if you don't mind.

R.I.P Coxx

Very cool and you have lachute mufflers too, just curious i was inspecting them and i wanted to know are the tips oxidized beyond repair by polishing? I know you might not care about it but just curious.

I will post up engine cover pics tonight.

As far as tools though i would definitely recommend a dremel. As for a dremel i recommend Proxxon(http://www.proxxon.com/us/html/popupindex.html). I have it and love it. Way better quality than "Dremel". Hell i used the proxxon to cut off bolts from my old exhaust.

Can you pm me what you have done to your car thus far and how much you put down on the ESP dyno? Or just post it on here if you don't mind.

• 40BB turbo
  • Perrin TMIC
  • AEM intake
  • Upgraded injectors and fuel pump
  • PDE catted DP
  • Flow UP
  • Perrin mid and y-pipes
  • Lachute Mufflers
  • Unorthodox underdrive lightened pulleys

Got 308 WHP with Torco on the ESP dyno

Somehow, I managed to cook the motor, so ESP just rebuilt it with Wiseco pistons. I also added TGV delete, ATC clutch with light weight flywheel, and meth/water injection. I'm concerned about the engine cover as part of a campaign to cool things down and avoid another meltdown. Last year, I ran without an engine cover.

I'm hoping that with forged pistons, meth/water injection, wrapped pipes, and better air flow to the TMIC, I can avoid future heat issues.

BTW, I'm also on a campaign to reduce weight as much as possible. I'm replacing the seats with light weight alternatives, removing the bumper beams, switching to an 11 lb battery, and replacing the mufflers and y-pipe with a single straight pipe.

I just did mine and cut maybe 1/4 off of the front lip to lower the cover. Then I trimed the back to expose the last two rows. To seal the gap at the back and the the last 2 inches on the sides I used epoxy to seal on some 1/2" foam tube sealant. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow. GTTuner, yours looks great! I was going to trim mine like that but i didnt want to lower it away too much from the hood scoop seal. Im not sure if it is a concern or not because I have my seal off waiting on my ZS splitter to come in. If its not I will redo it like that, looks real clean.

As promised here are two side by side.

I got one for sale if anyone needs one!

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you need more pics.

cut2.thumb.jpg.bcbcf2048a657ce81db3cba404baefa8.jpg

cut.thumb.jpg.fd9240e8654810b2edba01255b2e30af.jpg

cut-top.thumb.jpg.17245052e6aa3d378e78e06391958395.jpg

pair2.thumb.jpg.1fdcd585b4d82e495e213927c62322ab.jpg

pair.thumb.jpg.9d2a7928fb8a8c062603059c26a6d62b.jpg

uncut.thumb.jpg.1ab5d620b15f636717e6ece7856537c0.jpg

R.I.P Coxx

• 1 month later...

Great pictures. I just trimmed my cover for the AVO TMIC. It is no wider than stock, but it is longer in the back. I didn't have a dremmel so I used a small hack saw. I couldn't get it in to make a straight line cut so I made little parallel cuts to form little plastic tabs. Then I used pliers and bent the tabs so they broke in a straight line. Then I had to sand it a bit to make it smooth.

The cover will not fit exactly. The hole in the cover in the back left side will not line up. Three push pins are in so it holds.

Where do you find heat resistant foam? I'd like to seal the cover at the back.

Great pictures. I just trimmed my cover for the AVO TMIC. It is no wider than stock, but it is longer in the back. I didn't have a dremmel so I used a small hack saw. I couldn't get it in to make a straight line cut so I made little parallel cuts to form little plastic tabs. Then I used pliers and bent the tabs so they broke in a straight line. Then I had to sand it a bit to make it smooth.

The cover will not fit exactly. The hole in the cover in the back left side will not line up. Three push pins are in so it holds.

Where do you find heat resistant foam? I'd like to seal the cover at the back.

OK< OK "TMIC Hood scoop fix".

Search:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

If you use a hack saw, you don't have to deal with the melting metal, but it's a bit harder to make a straight cut.

I used a mini hacksaw that only holds the blade by one end, but this would be the best hacksaw to use:

http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/pictures/hacksaw2.jpg

Archived