LegacyGT.com

COBB OTS STG 2 - Only 11 psi Boost

BillyJoe

Hey All,

I recently went Stg 2 after installing an Invidia CATLESS Uppipe and Downpipe, the downpipe is mated up to a stock CBE (I wanted it to stay quiet). Upon initial installation of these pipes, we had a leak where the downpipe flange mated with the donut gasket (I had a flange-to-donut adapter installed), and it was getting late so my mechanic and I decided to tackle it on another day. However, with the leaks in the system, I flashed Stg 2 93 anyways, I was able to get around 16-17 psi of boost. My car was loud, but it was making power.

Now today, my mechanic and I were able to get rid of the leak between the downpipe and the stock CBE exhaust, ALSO fixed a leak on the driver’s side manifold. The car is as quiet as can be, however, I’m only boosting 11 psi. It will not go higher than that. The ONLY difference this time is I think we had damaged the O2 sensor in the downpipe and so it is no longer operative. Could this be the reason why I’m boosting so low? I’ve reset the ECU, flashed stg 1 for the drive home, then flashed stg 2 again, and still that same boost top out (11 psi). Or could the lower boost condition be because I’m running my stock CBE and there is too much backpressure in exhaust system? The car runs fine, but I can’t get it to go over 11 PSI on stg 2.

Specs:

2005 Legacy GT 5EAT

40k miles

Original Turbo

Invidia Catless UP

Invidia Catless Down pipe

TGV deletes

Stock CBE

Thanks for your time and consideration.

You may need to check for a vaccume leak. There is a "T" fitting under the TMIC that is notorious for coming undone with higher boost, but you can normally hear it hissing. I dont know if the o2 sensor would cause an issue, but I dont think so. I would guess a Vac leak somewhere.

I found the vacuum line that popped off right under the intercooler. It was a line off the T-cluster (which i ziptied) but not the OTHER side of the line that went into the manifold. HOWEVER, now i have an OVERBOOST condition. I can't keep my boost down. I'm boosting 21+ on COBB OTS stg 2, and on certain times popped up the P0244 - wastegaste performance range (or something like that). I know Cobb set the max boost for their map to around 16.5 psi. I've tried resetting the ECU, Reflashing Stg 2, and still overboosting. Any ideas where i go from here?

I found the vacuum line that popped off right under the intercooler. It was a line off the T-cluster (which i ziptied) but not the OTHER side of the line that went into the manifold. HOWEVER, now i have an OVERBOOST condition. I can't keep my boost down. I'm boosting 21+ on COBB OTS stg 2, and on certain times popped up the P0244 - wastegaste performance range (or something like that). I know Cobb set the max boost for their map to around 16.5 psi. I've tried resetting the ECU, Reflashing Stg 2, and still overboosting. Any ideas where i go from here?

REMEMBER THIS ONLY APPLIES IF YOU HAVE AN INVIDIA DP WITH A DIVORCE, not the bellmouth

Do you by any chance having a ticking sound near the turbo?

You might have the divorce touching your wastegate and its not allowing it to open. This caused me to jump to 24psi at times and then cut off since that was way out of range.

If that is the case you can just take off the dp and grind down the waste gate like this link.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1833445&postcount=18

Hopefully its just a tune issue so you don't have to do all the work of taking it off and putting it back on again.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

I do not hear any ticking coming from or near the turbo, and i believe that my DIVORCED DP has been ground from factory. The divorce is much shorter than the original pictures of the Invidia DP websites, and you can tell it's been altered. Although i'm still keeping this as something to look into, I'm just wondering if this is mainly a hardware (downpipe) problem or a software (tuning) problem? Thanks for all the replies, this forum is bad ass

REMEMBER THIS ONLY APPLIES IF YOU HAVE AN INVIDIA DP WITH A DIVORCE, not the bellmouth

Do you by any chance having a ticking sound near the turbo?

You might have the divorce touching your wastegate and its not allowing it to open. This caused me to jump to 24psi at times and then cut off since that was way out of range.

If that is the case you can just take off the dp and grind down the waste gate like this link.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1833445&postcount=18

Hopefully its just a tune issue so you don't have to do all the work of taking it off and putting it back on again.

This is not a tuning issue for sure, definately a mechanical issue linked to the Invidia DP. I am currently working with someone with the same issue.

This is not a tuning issue for sure, definately a mechanical issue linked to the Invidia DP. I am currently working with someone with the same issue.

Then sir there you have it, just use the pictures from my posting and you will see where you have to grind if the dp is the case.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Korpsepatrol and Infamous-

You're RIGHT! that was it! When i took off the DP this afternoon with my mechanic, it was identical to the pictures in your post. We ground the metal down, and NO MORE RATTLES nor overboost. I'm steady with a COBB OTS stg 2 at a max boost of 16.5. THanks for your help! NOw i feel i can safely drive my car and enjoy it to the fullest (well, until the next modding bug bites)

Thanks for all your responses, there are really great people in this forum!

Stanley

Yes this was a brand new catless pipe. The divorce plate looked ground down, however, I guess it just wasn't enough.

Use this http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=18

to estimate where the arm may hit the plate and just grind it down approx. 1/4" before installing your new DP. I doubt you'll be messing up the flow from the turbo, and this way you won't have to take the DP back off again if you hear rattling and experience overboosting.

FYI, I'm on the COBB OTS Stg 2 93 oct map with my catless DP, and the smell is getting annoying. I'm not going into the "catted or catless smell or no smell" debate, but if i had to do i over again, i'll purchase a catted DP. Hopefully a protune in the future will cut back on the richness of my fuel mixture (hence, decreasing the obnoxious fumes).

Good luck with the install!

Yes this was a brand new catless pipe. The divorce plate looked ground down, however, I guess it just wasn't enough.

Use this http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=18

to estimate where the arm may hit the plate and just grind it down approx. 1/4" before installing your new DP. I doubt you'll be messing up the flow from the turbo, and this way you won't have to take the DP back off again if you hear rattling and experience overboosting.

FYI, I'm on the COBB OTS Stg 2 93 oct map with my catless DP, and the smell is getting annoying. I'm not going into the "catted or catless smell or no smell" debate, but if i had to do i over again, i'll purchase a catted DP. Hopefully a protune in the future will cut back on the richness of my fuel mixture (hence, decreasing the obnoxious fumes).

Good luck with the install!

i just got protuned and the smell is still there but its def better

Archived