LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT Ltd - Engine

Again as stated by others, if they won't cover it; just go to any one of the many vendors on here and order an brand spankin new short block for $1800 and heads for another $1500 and find a shop to assemble and install it for $1000.

I'd tell that service manager to put down the crack pipe and pay attention. Then tell him that you can get a basically fully assembled(minus the tin) motor from Subaru for less than $4000. Then explain to him that even if his hourly rate is $100+ that he trying to stick you for 50 hours of labor to swap a motor. That's just plain silly:rolleyes:.

Let's kick this pig!

Ok. I am in the same boat with exactly the same issue. Can anyone who has had an engine replaced (including turbo) tell me what it cost? I just put a new turbo in last Fall and this has become a very expensive car for me to maintain.

Thanks.

Please understand that there are LGT owners ON THIS FORUM that are selling WHOLE, working Legacy GT's for under $10k.

There is a 2005 LGT for sale for $9k right now with ~90-100k miles on it, in pretty good shape.

Put it in perspective.

tvh13 - I am sorry to hear you in the same boat as me now. I'll find out tomorrow if my second round vs SOA was worth it and if they will help me out at all.

The parts needed for my car include: short block, 2 cylinder heads, 4 cams and a cam shift kit. They knocked off $1500 for the repair and are charging $4700 for parts and $2200 for labor.If Subaru notifies me tomorrow they won't help (again) then I am selling it as-is. No way am I putting $7K in a car worth $10K (if that).

Lots of posts...

For those that are having significant oil loss with no visible leaks, the most common cause is cracked ring lands. The oil disappears when it burns up in the combustion chamber.

For those that don't think you should "need" to check your own fluids...maintenance is the owners responsibility, including maintaining the fluid levels. The warranty will not cover damage caused by lack of maintenance.

As far as cost...

Short Block $2000.00

Cylinder Heads $600.00 each x 2

Cams $200.00 each x 4

Turbocharger $900.00

Gasket Set $300.00

Oil Pump $200.00

Oil Pickup Tube $20.00

Valve Shims $26 each (anywhere from 0 to 16 needed)

Misc $300.00

Fluids $50.00

Already around $6,300 not including any parts I missed, Alldata states the repair takes 23.0 hours to diagnose & reassemble the engine, including adjusting the valves. At $100 per hour that is $2,300…

Total $8,600…looks like they are pretty close…

Lots of posts...

For those that are having significant oil loss with no visible leaks, the most common cause is cracked ring lands. The oil disappears when it burns up in the combustion chamber.

Sure, if it ain't leaking it must be burning. I don't race, generally keep rpm under 5k, change oil regularly, broke the engine in when I bought it new. Does this mean there is an inherent problem with the Subaru engine considering my case is not an isolated issue? My wife's 01 Toyota RAV4 with 100k miles coughs up a dense cloud of bluish smoke every morning (valve seals shot I was told) and yet there is a mere 25% drop in oil level (marks on the dipstick - wise) between oil changes every 5k miles or so. I previously owned a Nissan 240sx, I sold it @120k, it had no visible oil consumption at all. I noticed this issue with my Legacy when it had 25k on it, if not earlier, the level drops to min every 3.5k miles, sometimes sooner. No smoke. Interestingly enough sometimes the consumption is low, my theory is that it is because of different oil or more conservative driving style. I heard that adding up to 1 quart between oil changes is not that unusual, but it still makes me wonder if the engine design is at fault.

zachE84 i just had my entire engine replace payed for by SOA after 2 blown turbos. the secret is once a turbo is blown particles went inside the engine caused the engine to go bad. maybe this could've been the cause for yours since we all had to put up with the banjo bolt bullshit.

tell SOA that you will be suing them for this nonsense go to the higher ups get your voice herd you might be in luck and get it done for free.

as far as engine you can get a coplete engine for 3000$ including the turbo heres the site bud www.car-parts.com.

your dealer is full of it those price quotes are insane.

zachE84 i just had my entire engine replace payed for by SOA after 2 blown turbos. the secret is once a turbo is blown particles went inside the engine caused the engine to go bad. maybe this could've been the cause for yours since we all had to put up with the banjo bolt bullshit.

The banjo's won't clog if you are maintaining the engine oil level and changing it as recomended.

tell SOA that you will be suing them for this nonsense go to the higher ups get your voice herd you might be in luck and get it done for free.

If you mention sueing you better be prepared, SOA will no longer talk to you, you will have to retain an attorney to talk to them.

as far as engine you can get a coplete engine for 3000$ including the turbo heres the site bud www.car-parts.com.

Complete, maybe. But what mileage, what condition. The price of new OEM parts is what it is.

your dealer is full of it those price quotes are insane.

Sure, if it ain't leaking it must be burning. I don't race, generally keep rpm under 5k, change oil regularly, broke the engine in when I bought it new. Does this mean there is an inherent problem with the Subaru engine considering my case is not an isolated issue?

I don't think there is a design issue, detonation usually causes ring land failure. Even a stock car can suffer detonation in certain circumstances, if it occurs to often, crack. If the car is modded, higher boost levels, changed back pressure, tuned, etc all those things can contribute as well.

Good news...

I finally got SOA, after 3 rounds, to split the cost. This might not sound so great but its better than it sounds. The original price of $7K is now around $6K - since SOA decided to cover it partially, all the costs now become warranty costs which is a ton cheaper than regular dealership prices. They ordered the parts today and hope to have it back to me in 6 days.

They asked permission to replace any parts the mechanic views as questionable. I gave him a budget of $400 to do so. Timing belt (since the engine is already out), gaskets, hoses, etc. I should basically get a brand new engine, minus the alternator related parts, for $3500. Not bad, not bad at all. I really lucked out.

Thanks all for your help.

Not that I don't believe you - but how are warranty costs different from dealer costs? They have different cost levels for the same part/product? Similar to an airline ticket pricing matrix... shload of BS if you ask me.

As long as you're happy with the deal then good for you...that's all that really matters.

Not that I don't believe you - but how are warranty costs different from dealer costs? They have different cost levels for the same part/product? Similar to an airline ticket pricing matrix... shload of BS if you ask me.

As long as you're happy with the deal then good for you...that's all that really matters.

I agree but maybe they give themselfes a discount on parts just like how mechanic shops gets discounts from parts stores?

It depends on the state the shop is in and the individual shop. For example; a shops customer pay labor rate is set by the shop, the warranty labor rate is set by SOA who uses a regional average to set warranty rates. The shop can set their labor rate as high as they want, but the warranty labor rate may be less.

Also on customer pay jobs a labor guide such as Mitchell or Alldata is used to calculate the hours a job takes, for Warranty Repairs yous must use SOA's Warranty Wizard to calculate hours paid. Many times the warranty hour amounts are lower than the Mitchell and Alldata hour amounts.

On parts it also depends, warranty parts are usually sold at a lower cost that is set by SOA unless the state the shop is in has laws against this.

For example, in Florida, manufacturers must pay warranty parts at retail rates by law.

I agree but maybe they give themselfes a discount on parts just like how mechanic shops gets discounts from parts stores?

It's like what a parts store calls "jobber" or "shop" rate. Most places will give a shop a part at say 10% over cost where they would charge the customer off the street 100% over cost. When the work is done under warranty, SOA will only pay a certain amount for their own parts and labor. Whereas the parts department can basically mark up parts as much as they want when selling to individuals.

Let's kick this pig!

Funny update...

While the car was parked in the dealer lot waiting for the parts to arrive, a truck backed into it. Luckily the driver didn't just pull off. They did a staggering $3k damage! I haven't even seen it yet but apparently they damaged the bumper, the trunk needs entirely replaced, some emblems were destroyed, and of course it needs repainted. $7K engine + $3K accident repair...this is going to be the largest invoice ever!

Funny update...

While the car was parked in the dealer lot waiting for the parts to arrive, a truck backed into it. Luckily the driver didn't just pull off. They did a staggering $3k damage! I haven't even seen it yet but apparently they damaged the bumper, the trunk needs entirely replaced, some emblems were destroyed, and of course it needs repainted. $7K engine + $3K accident repair...this is going to be the largest invoice ever!

Whole Sh!t pal...

Take this car to one of those old Jamaican guru's who used to give cars and people blessings using some artifacts...

It is really jinxed or obsessed!!!

:-(

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Before I wouls have kept it, but now just get a different one after it's fixed.

Funny update...

Let's kick this pig!

• 1 month later...

Archived