LegacyGT.com

08/09 WRX or 08/09 LGT

Kupkake

Exactly what about that was fanboi talk? :confused:

The 08 WRX is slower.

The 08 WRX is soft as hell.

Go find performance data comparing the LGT and 08 WRX and post it here. You are talking out your ass. The 08 WRX was soft compared to other WRX. It didn't suddenly sprout several hundred pounds or something.

Perrin logged 210 whp and 245 peak torque on a stock 2008 WRX. Depending on the dyno that's easily as much or more than most LGT #'s, and the WRX weighs less. Surgeline reported similar #'s for a 2008 and reported 230 whp and 238 wtq for a stock 2009 with SPT catback. (Stage 1 was 268/290).

Here's a comparison of the 2008 versus 2009 WRX also from Surgeline: you can see that while the smaller turbo and exhaust throttle peak output, that's only at over 5,000 rpms. The 2009 has more peak hp and torque, but at low and mid-range speeds the 2008 has more.

http://www.sponaugle.com/nasioc/09WRXvs08WRX.gif

As an aside its worth noting this turbo might just be the best upgrade option available for all you 2008 wrx and legacy owners.

Best regards

Tim Bailey

SurgeLine Tuning - A Cobb Tuning Premier Facility

The 2009 has slightly bigger roll bars, substantially stiffer springs, bigger turbo and bigger exhaust compared to the 2008. In short, changes than many of you have made to your LGT for less than $2,000.

The OP's choice is going to be made by what he finds on the used market. All the cars in question are more alike than different. The biggest difference between the WRX and LGT is the size of the user community and the percentage of users that modify their cars.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Numbers?

LGT 5 speed:

14.3@96.2

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0410_rt_acura_subaru-pg1.pdf

LGT spec B

13.7@99.2

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0603_awd_data_panel.pdf

2008 WRX

14.4@ 94.7

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/1007_Subaru_WRX.pdf

I dunno. That seems slower to me (esp trap speed). How about you?

As for softer, I said possibly softer (the stock LGT is also soft as hell). It turns out that a spec B (by the numbers which are only worth so much for handling) is better, while a LGT is slower

200-ft slalom

GT: 64.9 mph

spec B: 67.2

WRX: 66.6

LGT - more refined, more standard options, lots of space

WRX - younger crowd, more available aftermarket (if that is your thing), smaller, less features, perhaps a little spunkier.

Depends on what you like. I chose the LGT over the WRX because I wanted a more 'refined' car with more space, lower road noise, more comfortable ride, and more features.

In Michigan and Ohio there are used 2008 LGT's for about $20,000 (listed at $22k sticker, I assume you can get down to $20k). They are both certified with 100k warranty and about 10,000 miles. That is a good deal for what you get. Perhaps you can find something similar near you. If so, its the best bang for your buck for $20k IMO.

^awesome input that makes it pan out for me better, I think its funny that almost both cars are identically fast, in a way.

But thanks for the input!!

//The OP's choice is going to be made by what he finds on the used market. All the cars in question are more alike than different. The biggest difference between the WRX and LGT is the size of the user community and the percentage of users that modify their cars.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

my vague description of the cars

LGT: mid size car that gets you point a-b in comfort but still fast (power when you need it), even modified will look kind of normal to normal people (older people will notice might notice, unless young LGT owner or Subie enthusiast)

Rex: sport compact car that gets attention, also has power (younger crowd)

one guy said when he's driving his LGT no waves or anything, when driving his Rex in downtown people honk at him, waves, gives him thumbs up

:lol: this doesnt help much:lol:

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Go drive them. They feel completely different. The LGT is a dog in the corners. It feels big, heavy, you really need to muscle it around. You feel like you're working a family sedan around through the corners (because you are.)When you do, it leans and dips. It's really not all that fun to hustle through twisties at all. The Impreza is smaller, light and nimble. It's night and day through the corners of difference.

Go drive them. They feel completely different. The LGT is a dog in the corners. It feels big, heavy, you really need to muscle it around. You feel like you're working a family sedan around through the corners (because you are.)When you do, it leans and dips. It's really not all that fun to hustle through twisties at all. The Impreza is smaller, light and nimble. It's night and day through the corners of difference.

Okay,

So say I do F/R Sways and springs, maybe coilovers (I know about Strut wear) Is that going to help then? Bc I was planning that.

Okay,

So say I do F/R Sways and springs, maybe coilovers (I know about Strut wear) Is that going to help then? Bc I was planning that.

Yes, if you get good something with dampers.

I've tracked by car quite a bit since I got it and I've been very happy with it.

It will never be a great auto-xer though, but it is an excellent track car with proper suspension stuff.

hmm that is true, I'm just not 100% sure if I want a MT. Thats still something swaying me AWAY from the WRXs. I mean yes, I know MT is fun, and faster and easier on the car/better overall, BUT I sometimes really like not having to shift haha, AND it does have sportshift... or lack there of lol

I have an OBW 3.0R with 5EAT and have driven an 05 LGT 5EAT of a co-worker extensively.

The manual is much more fun to drive. The Subaru "Sport" capability is pretty minimal. I live in the city with a WRX and don't find it tiresome. I still use the 5EAT for towing. If you want to get an auto, get the 3.0R: similar acceleration, can burn regular, lasts forever.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I have an OBW 3.0R with 5EAT and have driven an 05 LGT 5EAT of a co-worker extensively.

The manual is much more fun to drive. The Subaru "Sport" capability is pretty minimal. I live in the city with a WRX and don't find it tiresome. I still use the 5EAT for towing. If you want to get an auto, get the 3.0R: similar acceleration, can burn regular, lasts forever.

The 3.0R is also better matched to the auto.

The nature of the turbo doesn't really lend itself to an automatic.

I would go 5mt in either one you get, I wouldn't choose a different transmission. If you're kind of set on the sporty fun idea, you could possibly be unhappy with the 5eat later...know a lot of people that started modding and wished they could trade transmissions! LoL

the only plus side of the 5eat is the full turbo spool when shifting, according to my lamco gauge (dont know how accurate) it spikes over 1bar on the initial boost, and again over 1 bar when it shifts, wot

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

The 3.0R is also better matched to the auto.

The nature of the turbo doesn't really lend itself to an automatic.

I agree in theory, but I've driven a LGT 5EAT and 3.0R 5EAT back-to-back, and didn't find it disagreeable.

FWIW he did just loose the trans at 85,000 and traded it in.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I wouldn't really buy based on Motor Trend performance data. You can always make a slow car faster. The WRX is going to be noisier, more spartan, and more demanding to drive. But maybe you want that.

The Legacy GT will still give you 9/10ths of the WRX performance but rides better, is quieter, and is far more civil for DD purposes. And if the performance bug really bites, just start modding.

BTW, I wouldn't spend the extra cash on a spec B. You can easily just upgrade the suspension yourself and buy new wheels for less.

I wouldn't really buy based on Motor Trend performance data. You can always make a slow car faster. The WRX is going to be noisier, more spartan, and more demanding to drive. But maybe you want that.

The Legacy GT will still give you 9/10ths of the WRX performance but rides better, is quieter, and is far more civil for DD purposes. And if the performance bug really bites, just start modding.

BTW, I wouldn't spend the extra cash on a spec B. You can easily just upgrade the suspension yourself and buy new wheels for less.

Agreed, I think I would rather have something more comfy to drive and still is fast and fun.

I wouldn't really buy based on Motor Trend performance data. You can always make a slow car faster. The WRX is going to be noisier, more spartan, and more demanding to drive. But maybe you want that.//
Have you ever driven an 08/09 WRX? Most of the comments here seem to be based on the previous generation.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Well...I have an 09 WRX...and I still think the LGT is the better car. I just didn't want to get stuck with the last model years like with my previous car, and wanted to save a few grand.

Even so, I love the WRX. But the difference in build quality is pretty apparent with all the rattles I get :(

Well...I have an 09 WRX...and I still think the LGT is the better car. I just didn't want to get stuck with the last model years like with my previous car, and wanted to save a few grand.

Even so, I love the WRX. But the difference in build quality is pretty apparent with all the rattles I get :(

Made in Japan versus Made in Indiana perhaps????

It makes A LOOOOT of difference IMO...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived