LegacyGT.com

Snow problems with my 2005 legacy

I have a 2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i. I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with snow building up between the firewall and engine. My car will do it so bad that the motor stops running right. The dealer is claiming that I have driven the car through snow banks to get this to happen. However I'm just driving around town. The car sounds like there is an exhaust leak and the car shakes really bad. So I would appreciate it if anyone else would let me know if they are having the same problem.

Thanks

Adam

I've driven through a reasonable amount of snow this winter, but I have not had this problem in my 2.5i. How much snow have you been driving through to have this happen?

I am just driving the car around town in Ann Arbor Michigan. So I would say at the most 3 to 4 inchs of snow. I do have Hakka RSI's on the car but I hope they are not casuing this problem. It seems to be the worst when the snow is slushy.

Thanks

Adam

When you say car shakes real bad, to me that means you've got snow packed on the inside of the wheels. Happened to me on the way back from PA and I had to stop once to clear it out. The other problem, haven't had....not sure what to tell you
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Yea I had the snow in the rims problem the other day... just took off kinda fast through second and when I whent to shift to third... my car started shaking pretty good, so much I though I had hurt some suspension or drivetrain or something... turns out I had alot of snow packed in my wheels and when i took off fast it losened some and casued the wheel to become very unballanced... got the snow out and it was all good. Subaru rims always seem to pull in snow and dirt into the rims...

Sorry I don't think I explained this correctly. The car shakes when not moving. And feels like it is missing on a cyclinder. You do not have to be moving to get this to happen. But it seems to happen after you have driven through snow. It is espically bad after the car has sat for a while. This is not related to snow on the rims or in the wheel wells I am sure of that.

Thanks

Adam

The dealers explaintaion of why I am having these problems is snow between the motor and fire wall. I have looked under the hood and saw a large amount of snow between the transmission and floor boards. Why this in not melting quickly I have no idea.

Thanks

Adam

When you open your hood, you can see snow in your engine bay and between the fire wall? That does not sound right. What about what rclark said about the bottom cover, does your car have that? A plastic piece covering the engine under your car? Maybe all the snow pulled it off, and now snow is drifting up into your engine.

Archived