LegacyGT.com

d2: 05-07 Vented Fenders!

patriki

http://images46.fotki.com/v1452/photos/1/116174/5482925/logo_09v2-vi.gif

Hello fellow Legacy owners! :cool:

I've been pondering upon this idea for a while now. I've seen some Leggy's with this, but not many. Usually from people's comments I noticed that people like it and want it.

I am talking about producing some Legacy vented fenders. They would not be anything like you'd see on a Cavalier which is an attempt at ripping off BMW.

Something original yet classy.

Why? Well, maybe someone can try and make them functional somehow - not sure. But mainly for just one thing and one thing only: looks.

Feel free to comment, add, criticize, and throw in any ideas you may have.

Some of the already existing vented fenders that I've seen:

http://images47.fotki.com/v1479/photos/1/116174/4149909/ImageFromDB_php-vi.jpg

http://images46.fotki.com/v1491/photos/1/116174/4149909/02_s402_sub_leg-vi.jpg

http://images47.fotki.com/v1498/photos/1/116174/4149909/Nyomi_008-vi.jpg

http://images44.fotki.com/v1356/photos/1/116174/4149909/06_s402_sub_leg-vi.jpg

FAQ:

What would these be made out of?

A: We would be making them out of FRP material.

What about shipping?

A: We would ship them, no problem. Carefully packaged of course!

How much?

A: No word yet, but seeing as they'd be made in North America they would not cost a fortune due to shipping costs.

How about 08/09?

A: We can make those too, but first we have to make the 05-07's happen.

Will this fit my sedan/wagon?

A: Yes, the fenders are identical.

Will they come painted?

A: No, you have to take them to a local paintshop to have them properly paint matched.

Alex@D2

Drive Dynamics

http://www.DriveDynamics.ca

alex@DriveDynamics.ca

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I need new fenders would they be able to support a wider wheel?

Good question!

They will be made of FRP, so shaving off the lip on it will be nothing but SIMPLE. Maybe I can make a set that is a tad wider for you and a set for myself as I needs it with my 9 inch wide rims :spin:

Alex@D2

All depends how many people we can get for the first initial group buy. Once we do start this project, it would only take about a month or two to get these made and shipped.

If we can get at least 10 committed people we can bring the price down very nicely.

Say ~$500-600 for the two

Alex@D2

Whoa, I would definitely be in... unfortunately I am 08 so I will have to wait FOREVER :mad::spin:

Alex if you're going to make such good looking sh*t for so cheap, you should make new bumpers that look like http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x289/japanparts/Legacy/08SpecB.jpg

If you could make that for <$1k I would bite!!!

I could actually :p

The only issue that I have with making those is that by the time you account for the mounting kit and rebar it will still come to ~$1000, though still cheaper than shipping the OEM parts from Japan. But if its just the bumper cover you'd be after I can easily make those for about $650 each or so given that I can get at least 10-15 orders for the first order.

My SECOND issue is that they'd be FRP which can become an issue. They aren't very resistent to bumps. Someone backs into you lightly that will likely end up in the need for a new bumper cover, maybe repairs. The OEM bumpers are made out of a much better material for this sort of thing.

Alex@D2

well, if you would offer the fenders in the same style as the first pic, you can count me in for sure!!

and what actually is "FRP"? what kind of material is that? how does it take to paint?

FRP is a very commonly used material in the aftermarket automotive industry. I believe most of the vendors on LGT.com use this as well that offer aero parts for the Legacy. FRP, fiber reiforced plastic, is a fiberglass based material that is made up of plastic and fiberglass strands. Its strength is given through fiberglass strands, though unlike actual fiberglass material it has some degree of flex in it (though not as much as other materials such as polyurethane for example). FRP is quite easy to repair and work with. In fact, most of today's boats are made out of FRP. I believe Saturns also used to be made out of FRP at some point - correct me someone if I'm wrong?

Alex@D2

When you make body parts like fenders, fitment is very important with a part that size. Poolry made and poor fitting body parts can really kill the look of the car. just look at your average riced out civic. these better be spot on with the lines of the car.

If the bumper cover fits my model without having to rebar and all that, then I'd be fine with skipping it. But if you have the mounting kit and rebar (I'm assuming then there is some backing to the bumper) would that make the bumper more resilient to bumps? So if someone backed into my front bumper, there would be that foam reinforcement right behind it right, so it would be ok?

But yea I would definitely get it. Probably get a bumper guard or something to prevent anyone from directly touching the bumper.

When you make body parts like fenders, fitment is very important with a part that size. Poolry made and poor fitting body parts can really kill the look of the car. just look at your average riced out civic. these better be spot on with the lines of the car.

You're 100% correct. With out products we always try to go for the best fitment possible.

Alex@D2

If the bumper cover fits my model without having to rebar and all that, then I'd be fine with skipping it. But if you have the mounting kit and rebar (I'm assuming then there is some backing to the bumper) would that make the bumper more resilient to bumps? So if someone backed into my front bumper, there would be that foam reinforcement right behind it right, so it would be ok?

But yea I would definitely get it. Probably get a bumper guard or something to prevent anyone from directly touching the bumper.

Well with this you'd still need the JDM beam and brackets. Unless we were to take a JDM bumper and a USDM bumper and make the USDM bumper like the JDM but sized for the USDM bar. This is possible, BUT would change a lot in curves and looks and may "uglify" the bumper. We all know that the USDM bumper sticks out further than the JDM bumper due to the larger beam.

Also, with someone backing into you (if you had a FRP bumper), then it is likely to crack, whereas the OEM bumper will flex in and out. It has a lot more give in the material than FRP.

Then again, Albero bumpers are made of FRP as well and they seem to be holding up on those members' cars that have them. I've personally messaged a few myself as I looked into getting one for my car :wub:

Well with this you'd still need the JDM beam and brackets. Unless we were to take a JDM bumper and a USDM bumper and make the USDM bumper like the JDM but sized for the USDM bar. This is possible, BUT would change a lot in curves and looks and may "uglify" the bumper. We all know that the USDM bumper sticks out further than the JDM bumper due to the larger beam.

Also, with someone backing into you (if you had a FRP bumper), then it is likely to crack, whereas the OEM bumper will flex in and out. It has a lot more give in the material than FRP.

Then again, Albero bumpers are made of FRP as well and they seem to be holding up on those members' cars that have them. I've personally messaged a few myself as I looked into getting one for my car :wub:

I think it's the shape of the gaps and vents and stuff that defines the bumper... I don't think (personally) that it would uglify the bumper to stick out a little more. The bit about cracking does worry me, but since I've been driving almost a year and no one has touched me... I think it's alright... hopefully.

I looked at the Albero bumpers just now, they're nicer than stock, but not as nice as the JDM stylings IMO... I would def be in to buy a USDM fit bumper made to look like the JDM bumpers for half the price ($600 you mentioned). That would be a great deal!

Anyway I just ask that you consider the idea. Didn't mean to threadjack or go OT. Very nice fenders! Can't wait til you make them for 08 :spin:

I think it's the shape of the gaps and vents and stuff that defines the bumper... I don't think (personally) that it would uglify the bumper to stick out a little more. The bit about cracking does worry me, but since I've been driving almost a year and no one has touched me... I think it's alright... hopefully.

I looked at the Albero bumpers just now, they're nicer than stock, but not as nice as the JDM stylings IMO... I would def be in to buy a USDM fit bumper made to look like the JDM bumpers for half the price ($600 you mentioned). That would be a great deal!

Anyway I just ask that you consider the idea. Didn't mean to threadjack or go OT. Very nice fenders! Can't wait til you make them for 08 :spin:

Not a problem! Thanks for the idea and input. I will look into that for sure in the near future :)

Alex@D2

IMO, most won't pony up the $ just for looks. There are only a handful of us that do. I'm certain that if we could run a 255 wheel with the same look as a 235/40 at 48 offset then you will sell many fenders!

I would pay more to run 255's all around and have it look OEM.

Oh and don't need a vent but if so... your idea of something more similar to the JDM OEM would be better.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Exactly!

The S402 fenders are wider and I thought about pricing a set, but that would also mean bumper and supporting hardware. Too expensive I'm sure...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Actualy I have picture#1 fender sitting in my parent's house in Japan.

A shipping cost is more than I can afford, so I'm waiting for some family member who can bring over to U.S when next time they travel.(shipping quote is almost as same as fender itself)

That fender has to paint anyway, so I'm planning to ask shop to make them wider to fit wider wheels.

Exactly!

The S402 fenders are wider and I thought about pricing a set, but that would also mean bumper and supporting hardware. Too expensive I'm sure...

Yup, more or less correct, except you'll be able to use the fenders still regardless of your bumper, and that you can't get the S402 fenders if you don't own the S402. Even in Japan they will only let you order those fenders if you can prove to them that you own a S402.

Alex@D2

Archived