LegacyGT.com

SCCA rules...huh?

bnguyenbb6

So I was bored in my Art History class today and started researching what it would take to fab a brake duct leading air from the fog light area to the fender well (ie. BMW E36 M3 brake ducts). I was looking at SCCA Solo rules to make sure that it wouldn't be a modification that would be "illegal" in my class and ran across this:

E. Fenders may not be cut or flared but the inside lip may be rolled

to gain additional tire clearance. Flares that are part of body kits

may be attached to the stock fenders. Plastic and rubber wheel

well splash shields may be modified for tire clearance and to

accommodate a rolled inside fender lip. The intention is to

permit fitting the maximum allowable tire size, and the

modifications may serve no other purpose (e.g. air intake, brake

ducts, etc.). No other changes to the stock fenders or wheel wells

are permitted.

and then read this:

C. Air ducts may be fitted to the brakes, provided that they extend

in a forward direction only, and that no changes are made in the

body/structure for their use. They may serve no other purpose.

So the splash shield cannot be cut, so the only way to fab them is to have an existing hole, which defeats the purpose of having a splash shield in the fender(for OEM purposes). I don't see why there would be a hole in the splash shield unless you had an OEM brake duct, but then why would you need to fit an air duct? :confused:

Do I just have a case of reading comprehension failure? :icon_frow No brake ducts for me? Seriously though, can anyone clear this up?

you can install the hoses up and around.. but since you are autocrossing, why on earth do you need brake ducts?? Seems to me you are reading the Solo2 rules.

if you are thinking of doing track days, i would just yank out the fender liner (most race cars do this anyways unless (again) specified by their rules.

Remember, these rules were developed for ALL cars that are within that class. So if you happen to be the car that doesnt have fender liners, lucky you. That's how the rules work overall: Some cars can take advantage of the rules while others have to be limited by them to even out the playing field.

Keefe

Yeah I do understand its overkill for AutoX. HPDE's and track days were sort of my worry. I have the resources to easily fab up ducts(abs plastic). It was more of a "if you can, why not?" type of thing.

As for the rules, what is the difference? I was reading the rules off this link http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/2009_Solo_Rules.pdf

Archived