LegacyGT.com

Finally my turbo died!

So after all these LONG miles (90k+ worth), the turbo finally died on me this weekend. I'm in search of another OEM used turbo so that I can keep the car legal of the rule books. If anyone know of anyone else getting rid of their turbo, please pass the word.

I can't express how happy the car still is after so many miles of "spirited" driving and all the days it has seen through driving education events.

On the other hand, the turbo did die in its sworn duty. The bright side is that the brakes i was running on the GT (Wilwood calipers that was armed with Performance Friction C-01 brake pads) was able stop way harder than the Carbotech XP16s. To sum it up: Awesome! It was like landing an F-14 onto the carrier deck, talk about awesome stopping power.

Keefe

Call Andrew. I seem to remember seeing a few stock LGT turbos lying around.

Congratulations?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

u sound almost happy that it died.. ;]

Clearly you don't know the man.

Sam is there selling parts and setting up appointments. I might go back over the summer. We'll see.

And for sure congrats on the house and the lady. I saw you on TV!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

well, it's nice to know how much the stock turbo can take through its normal cycle and such. I could have probably lasted a little longer, but for what it's worth, I can't complain. I was looking up online from a subaru dealership was charging $1100 for a stock turbo!!! so at 90,000 miles, that's just 81 miles/dollar, or $0.012/mile.

Hopefully I'll see you back there in the summer.

Yea, I dont want to upgrade, just too plainly costly for a motor that has already seen half of its life. I can't imagine that this motor would last to see 200k if i upgraded it. Driving 30k miles/year racks up fast. So whatever I can to keep the car on the track and reliable is the way to go for me.

Keefe

i like your thinking ^^^^^^^

Shoot, I'll buy that viper and fix it up.

Exactly. Some fiberglass and bondo, a little rattle can flat-black, a cage, track friendly wheels/tires/brake pads and gut the interior. Perfect track car for 30k. Leave it bone stock and beat the hell out of it. And when you get tired, mod.

i like your thinking ^^^^^^^

Shoot, I'll buy that viper and fix it up.

Your in frederick! Buy that Viper! I'll help you drive it!

well, it's nice to know how much the stock turbo can take through its normal cycle and such. I could have probably lasted a little longer, but for what it's worth, I can't complain. I was looking up online from a subaru dealership was charging $1100 for a stock turbo!!! so at 90,000 miles, that's just 81 miles/dollar, or $0.012/mile.

Hopefully I'll see you back there in the summer.

Yea, I dont want to upgrade, just too plainly costly for a motor that has already seen half of its life. I can't imagine that this motor would last to see 200k if i upgraded it. Driving 30k miles/year racks up fast. So whatever I can to keep the car on the track and reliable is the way to go for me.

Fred Beans sold me a VF-46 for $969. If I wanted to wait, VF-52 was $975. Probably could have found it cheaper.

Have you called Fred Beans Subaru? I bet Jeremy could get you a good price.

Xenonk, That's great you got that many miles out of your turbo considering how hard you run it.

So you really like the brakes? How much do the calipers help compared to the pad/compound? Do you have brake ducts? That's kind of wild to hear it's that big of a change from XP16...I'm just trying out XP10s next month (probably will wish I jumped to XP12).

Wish I could sell you a turbo...just sold my stocker to a guy about 3 weeks ago.

Personally I'd look a wee bit into the reason the turbo died and you'll probably be able to tell upon pulling it out. Just to rule out the possibility that you won't install a new one and that will be killed as well. So, for example, how are your banjo filters looking?

Archived