LegacyGT.com

Shifter linkage for 1995 Subaru Legacy

Not sure if anyone has this issue with their 5-speed stick, but this car has a lot of play in the stick shift. It wobbles about 3 inches of play when it is in gear. It does not effect going or staying into gear. My guess is the stay rod or a bushing is worn on this 228,000 mile car. I have a stock shifter from my 2005 subaru wrx (i put a short throw shifter in it). Will the stock shifter from my wrx fit in this 1995 Legacy?

• 2 years later...

I've got a Legacy L with 5 speed and 233K miles. The shifter is all over the place and will even cease functioning if treated incorrectly. Used carefully it works fine (for me anyway - good luck to any stranger who might have to drive it!)

Anyway, aside from acquiring parts, what do I have to do to actually get at the problem area and install bushings or whatever it needs? I have never done a thing to the tranny and am thus totally ignorant.

thanks!

john

• I Donated

John....thanks for using the search function lol.

There is a shift linkage joint. It costs about $75 from the dealer. You can replace it from under the car with 2 12mm wrenches, a hammer, and a punch.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• 4 weeks later...
Ok so bringing a post back from the dead here, but dogged better that then to clutter the forum. My 97 OBW, 5MT has the same play as described before in the shifter. The garage that just put my new.clutch on said it would be a 7 hour job because there are bushings all the way up the linkage then the lever that would need to be replaced as well. I know that this can be a driveway job, does the part above have those bushings? Also is this really that involved of a job? A link to a how to would be great!

As an update I talked to a dealership and apparently their is a whole slough of bushings and linkages down there. (guess it isn't like the 4 speeds I'm used to) So anybody with a tear down how to, would be my current best friend. After spending the money on a clutch is rather do this myself.

• I Donated

Labor time on that job is NOT 7 hours. I can do it myself in less then an hour.

Its a fairly easy job to do.

Remove center console (couple of screws and pop clips) & shift knob (screws off)

Get a 12mm socket and 12mm wrench and take off the bolt towads the bottom of the shift lever. It has two bushings.

Lift the car. follow the shift linkage to the transmission. There is a joint there...thats the joint I talked about in this post before. its a 12mm nut and bolt on the cab side...on the trans side, its a "spring pin". You have you use a hammer and punch to push it out.

On the other shift linkage arm, there are two bushings. I suggest buying kartboy shifter bushings for a 02 WRX to replace these (about $50). They are really easy to do. A couple of other 12mm bolts to get them out.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ok well I found where the wiggle is... I dunno if this is an easy fix

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/airsoftgeo/Decorated%20images/shifty_742a.jpg

I apologize for my crude arrow, but it is pointing to the part with play. That horizontal "drum" (or spacer) seems to have a whole lot of wiggle to it

Is that the same easy change fix?

• I Donated
Thats the shift linkage joint I described. $75 new at the dealer. You need a 12mm socket, a 12mm wrench, a hammer, and a punch to replace it. Its done from under the car. Easy job

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

Looking at that diagram, there is a part missing from it! lol

There is a snap wring that holds the cup for the shifters ball in place...its on the very bottom...but not on the diagram.

Subaru doesn't have a listing for it either. So if you ever need that snap ring, order one for a 2002 WRX. I ordered 10 of them last time since they are special order...and I need them all the time. $2.50 each

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I have another diagram that has the snap rig shown above the bushing for the shifter ball... I feel as if all the play is just in the part you talked about, would it be worth it even to see if an auto parts store has it? The dealers are closed now.

• I Donated
Auto parts stores don't carry it. I've checked lol. They don't even show a listing for it. Auto Zone, Advance, Oriellys, Pep Boys, Car Quest, or Napa.....

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• 1 year later...
I may not be posting this correctly - sorry I'm new to forums. I am the proud owner of a '95 Legacy L , 5 speed. I had a mechanic tell me some time back that I would probably need bushings in the shifter within the year. Saturday - while at a Subaru dealer checking out another car - I drove down, parked the car no problem, however when I got back in to head home the shifter had lots of play in it. I could touch it with one finger and move it from side to side. I had no problem putting it in gear, and shifted okay during the 25 mile drive home. My mechanic is out of town - so it will be next week before I can get it in to be repaired. My question is can I safely drive it until then. I don't want to mess up anything else and I don't want the shifter to come off in my hand. Also best place to buy a replacement boot for the shifter. Everything on the car is OEM, no modifications. Thanks.

Archived