Deciding to fabricate a carbon fiber hood for the 2008 legacys'

OGHK87Jay

Should I make a carbon fiber hood for the 2008 Legacy's  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should I make a carbon fiber hood for the 2008 Legacy's

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't waste your time

:confused: I think CF hoods look better...

But true, if it doesn't lose any weight, then it's a waste to drop 500 on a hood just for looks. Might as well just wrap it. Would there be weight dropped on the trunk?

I wouldn't know until I actually have made a mold and make a test piece. Anyone in socal willing to be a guinea pig for my project. 05-07 and 08. Is the trunk the same on 05-08?

The value is going to be in the improvement over oem.

If you can add in vents for heat management (at the tallest point) and a hood scoop that is larger but not STI larger, then I'd be very interested.

If you make it, it will sell. Once this market is saturated you'll be selling them over seas in no time, once you get the exposure.

Do it!!!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Honestly, stick with the trunk lid. I removed mine when I was mounting the factory wing on the car (since my dad and I did not have a template to use). Suffice to say, the trunk opens up real nice and easy. It even feels light. Thanks goodness I had foam on the rear windshield after removing the bolts for the trunk.

The trunk is quite heavy for its size. Even fooled me!

If you make a CF trunk, I am very sure it will sell more than a CF hood.

Couple of things, reducing trunk lid weight lowers the overall weight (a good thing) but from the wrong end (a bad thing).

I should have rephrased... a scoop can be made as large or larger than an STI's while appearing smaller if there is somewhat of a depression in the hood just before the opening. This gives the illusion of being 'relatively' small, especially the side view.

Food for thought...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Couple of things, reducing trunk lid weight lowers the overall weight (a good thing) but from the wrong end (a bad thing).

I should have rephrased... a scoop can be made as large or larger than an STI's while appearing smaller if there is somewhat of a depression in the hood just before the opening. This gives the illusion of being 'relatively' small, especially the side view.

Food for thought...

I'll take that in to consideration but all in all i think I'm dropping the idea of the hood if I ever do make a hood but now I will focus on the trunk instead. I may also design it for the lgt wagons and OB's I'm still thinking about it. I'll probably start this project fabrication mold in late june or early july.

Food for thought...

Well, a decent lip wing should take care of that issue. Other than that, I see no issue. Plus it would give some people a reason to stick their spare tire back in the car, or even go with a full size spare and still save weight. :)

Just my opinion.

Just an FYI for you all, in 08+ the hood is aluminum still, on the outback however they made the hood steel, the fenders on both outback and legacy are still aluminum as well.

Only the outback hood is steel. I did the magnet check and thats how I found out.

HAHA this ain't a contest. Still no takers for people in so cal that want to be test subjects?

I'd love to be a test subject for the trunk lid but I'm on the wrong coast...

Anyone?

OP: Have you made anything out of CF before? If so, pics?

Archived