Deciding to fabricate a carbon fiber hood for the 2008 legacys'

OGHK87Jay

Should I make a carbon fiber hood for the 2008 Legacy's  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should I make a carbon fiber hood for the 2008 Legacy's

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't waste your time

To make or not to make carbon fiber hood for 2008 Legacys?

1. Interested

2. Not interested

3. Don't waste your time

Im deciding if it would be a good investement for me to do over the summer. So please let me know what you guys think.

Please start a list if you are interested.

2.5i = steel

GT = Au

I think. Could be wrong.

I dunno. I've got an 09 2.5i and the hood feels very light in comparison to my old mazda 626 hood (doesn't mean that they weren't steel in 08, but I don't think they would switch back and forth over a year or 2). I think I'll go kind of check it out in a few minutes, will update when I figure out more.

In all likelihood, you will save very little. Even dry carbon fiber hoods weigh about 5.8 Kg. If I were you'd I'd just cut out the supports from the hood, drop the hinges and go with hood pins if it's that big of a deal to you. If you're trying to save weight you should be looking at the trunk instead.

I had problems with designing a trunk before it got too wobbly when driving fast and when it got to hot like in summer cali weather it wouldn't fit right too but I might try again. That was for a different car my old hyundai tuscani.

I dunno. I've got an 09 2.5i and the hood feels very light in comparison to my old mazda 626 hood (doesn't mean that they weren't steel in 08, but I don't think they would switch back and forth over a year or 2). I think I'll go kind of check it out in a few minutes, will update when I figure out more.

My hood is heavier then my friends 07 LGT so I think it probably is steel.

what does that say about the 150 or so other people that DIDN'T catch that

I saw that but was too lazy to post anything about it. It would look different to see one of those. Wouldn't look to bad on your car but you would have to have one hell of a good security system or just have a trunk monkey. :lol:

For those that didn't get it, Au is the atomic symbol for GOLD.

have you ever tried making doors? you can generally save 20 pounds per door.

No I have never tried making doors before because I fear that its way to complicated for me to put back together and also since its rimless on the top its alot harder. But when I have time I might take a look at it though.

2.5i's and GT's have the same aluminum hood. I had both and they were both very light. From what I understand 08 and 09 cars switched to steel for the hoods and fenders.

Can't you find CF hoods on eBay? Don't know about quality though.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Im done with this poll now. As for now I will ditch the hood fabrication and start thinking about trunks when I have time. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. Does anyone know how to end the poll?

What if... you did BOTH?

I don't think many people are interested in hoods. The trunk lid, though, would let me get rid of my factory spoiler plus loose a bit of weight from the rear of the car! I'd be all over that if the price was reasonable!

Archived