LegacyGT.com

Ok, now I like the TPMS system...

JoeFromPA

:)

Hey all,

I was getting annoyed at my TPMS for not telling me the exact pressure in each tire.

Now I regret that, as my TPMS system has shown me that my one tire is losing 2-3 PSI a day.

My passen. rear tire has been getting pumped up to 38-40 PSI and then the TPMS light comes on about 4-5 days later. Repeated this 3 times now.

I've inspected the wheel and tire and can't figure out why it suddenly started leaking about 2 weeks ago (as best I can tell).

Short of removing and re-mounting the tire, any ideas?

Joe

i'd check the valve stem, perhaps submerge it in water or spray with soapy water and look for bubbles. my past experience with slow leaks has been the valve stem most of the time, especially if its leaking as slow as you said it is.

also, did you remove the tire and really give it a good once over, perhaps a nail or screw punctured it and the head broke off making it tougher to spot?

i like the system. just a pain in the butt getting new wheels. also would be nice if you can actually see what psi each wheel is. my dad has it that way in his nissan and its great.

The reason why Subaru did this is pretty simple. You have to reset the system each time you rotated your tires, otherwise it will show the wrong tire. The system registers the location of the tire by the serial number of the sensor which it transmits every time it takes a reading. So if say the serial number of a sonsor picking up a low pressure reading is #5, and the receiver knows that #5 is registered as the front passenger tire, then it can make a logical connection that the front passenger tire is low.

More to the point that the registration system used for out cars is just another way for dealers to make money of of us, since we can't register the sensors ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

hey joefrompa....i work at concordville subaru right down 202 south. we usually dont charge for a tpms recalibration. if you want u can bring the car by, if in fact your issue hasnt been resolved already. we DO charge if its an electrical problem, but judging by the fact that ur car is an 08, i would say its covered under waranty.

some things on tpms :

-im not 100 percent (cuz im not in subarunet right now), but the light should come on at 26 psi, and shut off at 29.

-a steady light should be just like a steady CEL, as in there is a code stored, there is or was a problem, and should be checked out if it doesnt clear itself out. (if a pressure issue, turn the key off, adjust ur pressures, drive the car over 25mph for like...i dunno like a half a mile and the light should have shut off. if the light stays on there is another issue.

- finally if its blinking thats usually an indicator there is a potentially detremental problem, just like a blinking CEL.

also...although there are shady ppl that work at dealers, some of us are suby fanatics too.

judging by the fact that ur car is an 08, i would say its covered under waranty.

That wouldn't apply to my Taurus. I've racked up over 38,000 miles since August 15th! :lol:

Got one of the very last '08's. Wish I had the '09 just for the sake of having a newer model year with silly miles on it already.

Hey Warrantyengine,

I'll PM you this as well, but thanks for the generous offer. The problem persists....it loses about 4 PSI a day. I've been dealing with it by pumping the tire up to 40, letting it go for 3 days, and then repeating. Doesn't seem to be electrical in nature, and I can't find anything wrong with the wheel or tire. I'm guessing either the valve stem is very slightly leaking consistently or there's a very, very minor hole in the tire....I can't find anything though. Maybe it only leaks a bit when rotating.

The Suby is up for inspection, so I'd love to come down to your dealership and use a Suby Bucks $100 certificate for the inspection. Can I reference you directly? Make an appointment with you?

I know there are some good enthusiasts out there. I don't like people touching my car, hehe, but there are people I trust too. I'd love to have a local dealership I could trust.

Joe

CC'd a copy of this message to your PM box.

hey joefrompa....i work at concordville subaru right down 202 south. we usually dont charge for a tpms recalibration. if you want u can bring the car by, if in fact your issue hasnt been resolved already. we DO charge if its an electrical problem, but judging by the fact that ur car is an 08, i would say its covered under waranty.

some things on tpms :

-im not 100 percent (cuz im not in subarunet right now), but the light should come on at 26 psi, and shut off at 29.

-a steady light should be just like a steady CEL, as in there is a code stored, there is or was a problem, and should be checked out if it doesnt clear itself out. (if a pressure issue, turn the key off, adjust ur pressures, drive the car over 25mph for like...i dunno like a half a mile and the light should have shut off. if the light stays on there is another issue.

- finally if its blinking thats usually an indicator there is a potentially detremental problem, just like a blinking CEL.

also...although there are shady ppl that work at dealers, some of us are suby fanatics too.

Archived