LegacyGT.com

Shelby Durango vs LGT???

Had my daughters boyfreind throw the gaunlet down for a fun race. Wants me to race his biddies Shelby Durango what should I expect? Big heavy truck I'd think he's in for an arse kickin no? Tomorrow night this will go down.

See you later Durango....enough said

I am sure if its got some power it can move, even if its to 60 in the mid 6's, which is a far stretch with all that weight, drag and other forces will be too much to keep up with the LGT.

Yeah I poked around a bit 5.9 litre 360hp running a Kenne Bell twin scroll at 6psi. Mid 6 0-60 ,qtr in the 15.2 area. Not bad at all for a tank of a truck. He will be smoked in short order though.

According to my LGT he got owned. First run he caught me off guard and I basically left normal to like 2/5 mph and nailed it. I caught him in 2nd gear and rolled by. We went again this time I left at like 4500 got a good launch (actually got the front tire to spin a bit )and must have put at least 15 cars on him to 100mph. On a side note I was banging the gears away at like 6000-6200 rpms and on the one run when I blasted 2nd gear I heard a nasty bang under the car. Dont know what it was but I kept in it. If somethin gonna let loose i'd rather have it do it now. Guess i'll keep my ears open next time I start rompin this thing again.

That nasty "bang" you heard is common.

Our cars don't like to be shifted hard and banging the 1st to 2nd gear shift

when at or near redline will result in the "bang".

I had that happen to me on the very first LGT I drove on the very first test drive on the very first romp.

It also did it on the 2nd car I test drove and have heard it once or twice on my

own car when going WOT and shifting hard and fast into 2nd.

There's a known issue on Subarus for years, the rear differential thunks on hard shifts, especially from 1 to 2. It is the sound of the rear diff engaging. There's an aftermarket bushing out there that is supposed to reduce it, but I really don't care. Friend's 97 Impreza does it, my LGT does it, friend's 03 WRX does it.

More of a thunk than bang, and you can tell it is coming from under the car and towards the back...

-B

HAha farm eqpt!! Yeah the kid was starting to make up excuses and actually tried the 'ol "my supercharger is knocking". WTF??? Load of BS truck has 25,000 miles on it real nice truck though. They did a real sweet job on it overall in factory trim. I told the kid look this is a 5K pound 15 second truck and thats a 3K pound 14 second sedan. What just happened is exactly what was suppossed to happen. The they are trying to get me into a suckers race with a stage 2 Neon RT. I said yeah i'll run that Neon no problem (I'll show up with the SS and mop all the rice up he can gather).

My friend's '04 Forester XT bangs when shifted hard as well. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4. It really is a disconcerting sound and feel. Rear differential housing bushings sounds like a good place to start. I wish the car would shift like my Honda. That thing seems to love hard shifts at redline with your foot flat on the floor.

$56K for a Dodge 6.7 sec SUV :lol: ML55 was faster for the same money (actually cheaper if you count resale value and service costs). We took a huge hit on an '01 Durango R/T when we sold it. I couldn't imagine sinking $56K on a faster one....:eek:

Does he mean Stage 2 SRT-4? Never heard of a Stage 2 Neon R/T before...

Anyway, good for high 12s at 110-111 if the person can drive. Run some high octane and you can get mid 12s at 114 or so out of a Stage 2. Best I've heard of is 12.3 at 115 or so.

-B

Beaner, you should search for posts on his SS.

As in Camaro SS... with lots of mods.

If memory serves me correct, it's a 10-second 1/4-mile car. He's not going to run into much on the street -- if anything -- that will put that car down.

Does he mean Stage 2 SRT-4? Never heard of a Stage 2 Neon R/T before...

-B

Dodge did make a Neon R/T for a couple years.

It was basically a slightly spruced up Neon and had

150 hp instead of the stock 132 hp unit.

And added 5 ft-lbs of torque (to 135)

Now as for a "Stage 2" on it is another thing.

But unless they dropped a turbo or supercharger on it, I can't

imagine it would be much faster than stock anyway

which ran

0-60 in 7.6 seconds

1/4 in 16.1 @ 87

Now if he meant Stage 2 SRT-4

just make a it race across the intersection and make sure you

nail the launch. :D

If it is a R/T, then a stage 2 could mean Hahn Turbosystems. Big supplier of turbo Neon kits. ~260HP at the crank w/exhaust, good for 13.0-13.4 at 103-105 depending on slicks or not.

The 1st gen DOHC motors were overrated and the 95 SOHCs were underrated. Performance cam for later year SOHCs was just the stock 95 cam. SOHCs had the final laugh, the Magnum head from 2nd gen ACRs and R/Ts fit, getting a 1st gen SOHC above a DOHC easily in terms of peak power and power under the curve.

1st gen R/T was what the Sport packages were on the 1995 coupe before it was downrated. Faster steering, addition of rear roll bar, bigger front bar, stiffer struts and springs, DOHC motor and a shorter final drive. 2nd gen had the Magnum SOHC motor, bigger wheels, not sure suspension-wise.

I've had fun with Neons, raced a '95 sport with some suspension and motor goodies for a few years back in college. Got a 15.9 stock, got it down to a 15.1 with bolt-ons and weight reduction. More a corner car.

Keep us updated, I'm curious about the Neon!

-B

It's an SRT Neon with stage 2 components. Guess he thinks I am dumb that car stock would beat my LGT nevermind a stage 2 setup. My SS will trash a 12.0 car on the street. I ran an STI last summer he had an aftermarket turbo ,ECU said it made 340WHP and ran 12.0's at E Town. He spends time smacking stock LS1 powered F bodys around so he thought my SS would be a cake walk. I jus remeber what he said after we ran "Oh my god bro I give that car respect" haha. I was just spurning interest in the LGT at that point. I have posted this video before but here is another look at Atco in NJ last Novenber. We did a private track rental and the prep was unreal. Mind you this is with the skinnies and slicks on a prepped track. Car wont come close to this launch on the street. Car went 10.66@125 on a 1.40 60'

www.fastls1.com/jfm-atco.MPG

Archived