LegacyGT.com

importance of backing plate on brake pad?

VXCL

was in the middle of doing my brembo swap and noticed i do not have the oem backing plates for the brake pads. there is nothing i can do about right now. is it ok to drive the car for a couple days until i can pick some up. are they just for heat transfer or what? thanks!!!!

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

holy crap what a diff the brembos make and i haven't even done the rear yet!! i barely have to touch the pedal to stop and have to be careful not to send passengers into the dash.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

If you mean the shims which fit over the back of the pad, most replacement pads come with their own, so you can discard the oem parts. In many cases, the replacement pads and shims are bonded together with an adhesive. Are the pads replacements or the originals?

Yes I meant the shims. The pads are axxis ults and they don't have them or tabs that sti pads have to tell which is the outer one. They do squeal under very light braking. I ordered oem shims from 5 star performance so I'll throw them on next week. Should elimante the squeal. Cost about $70 for all 12. 8 up front and 4 for the rear.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

No need for them in general. I use Hawk Pads on my car (recently swapped over to Brembos in the front myself) and they actually come with a high-temp grease for the back of the pads. If you track your car the way I do, after the first track day no matter what shims or grease you have, your pads will squeeeele like a pig.

-mike

ill let you guys know if it helps or not. its not something that's bothering me. the squeeling is minimal. i thought maybe it was to help with heat transfer into the pistons so I ordering everything already. thanks.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

holy crap what a diff the brembos make and i haven't even done the rear yet!! i barely have to touch the pedal to stop and have to be careful not to send passengers into the dash.

This is very misleading feeling. Your braking distances are longer now due to the very heavy front bias. This will largely go away once you put the rears on - but then you'll be braking quicker... at least from higher speeds :)

This is very misleading feeling. Your braking distances are longer now due to the very heavy front bias. This will largely go away once you put the rears on - but then you'll be braking quicker... at least from higher speeds :)

Makes sense. I was talking more about response. Haven't had the chance to really test them out yet. Between the brembos, axxis pads, ss lines, and new brake fluid its a massive change. Can't wait to get the rears on, but 04 sti blank centric rotors are on backorder from Europe :(

I should note that my car had original everything from the factory- pads, fluid, rotors, etc. It was my first brake job and car has 35k on it. The pedal was absolute mush prior to brembo swap, but I think it was always like that though.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 2 weeks later...

so installed the oem sti shims and the brake squeel is 100% gone.

you have to get the large kit with the rubberized shims along with the 2ndary shim with the directional arrow.

lubed the hell out of them with high temp anti seize. did not do the piston crowns though. just the pad and shim and the bewtween each shim.

im using axxis ults which say ceramic on the box. anyways the squeel was horrible in reverse only. it was almost no existant under normal foward braking.

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived