LegacyGT.com

Is it possible to repair slices in tires?

spartan

Ok I know that this is a less than ideal scenario, but hear me out. Cleaning my rims last night I notices that one of my tires appears to have been sliced with a knife or something on the sidewall. The tire is holding air fine, so it does not need immediate replacement, but it appears to be at least 1/16"-1/8" deep. Here is my question, are there any adhesives that are safe to use on rubber that could at least close the wounds until I can afford a new set of tires (saving for a wedding)?

Looks to me like someone doesn't like you or your car. Not sure about repair, but you might want to file a police report and take it up with your insurance (assuming you think it is a knife and you have some sort of vandal policy). Heck if you even show your insurance the literature on needing to replace all 4 tires at one time, you might get a new set of wheels out of it, but that's a huge maybe.

Yeah I am torn between whether or not it was intentional, some of them seem to follow the radius of the tire so I think not, but I have no idea what I would have hit that did it. Either way, it is still holding air fine, I think today I might try and put some superglue over the slices just for some extra assurance.

i would think boxcutter off the cuff if i saw that -- except that on the lower slice, you can faintly see like almost a parallel double slice to begin, then it just turns into one long one, inclining me to think it was probably some sharp debris that you curbed.

looks to me also like you have plenty of tread; might be worth the peace of mind to just get 1 new tire -- won't be a wedding if you're not there for it ;), safety first.

Here is the best picture I could get of the damage...

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/9516/20090414image0002.jpg

Looks to me like someone used a knife to upack your tires from tire rack. But that would be my first guess. Then thinking maybe the tire was pinched against the rim but that would be circular. How old are the tires?

DId you do any skidding on or through some ice? Ice can be sharp.

Archived