LegacyGT.com

All season's or Summers?

snow05gtRI

Ive been through my fair share of both A/S and summer tires Ive always had a set of all seasons for the super harsh winters here in SoCal. lol jk. I just like changing my wheels and tire set up every so often.

I've been through a set of kumho asx's and a set of Falken RT-615's, while the kumhos lasted me for about 20k or so they had sidewalls that were way too mushy for my taste. the falkens on the other hand gave me about 13k and were super sticky.

Right now Im back on all seasons with some Continental extremecontacts so far I've found them to be better than the kumho's good in the rain and also pretty decent in light snow up in Big Bear.

But I miss the superior handling of a dedicated summer so I'm probly gonna get a set of either Kumho Xs's or the new Yokoham Advans.

But for the OP I would definatly go with a A/s over a summer for your needs

These are the 4 tire's I would recommend to you going from cheapest to expensive

-Continental Extremecontact

-Goodyear Eagle GT

-Yokohama Advan S4

-Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus

Ive been through my fair share of both A/S and summer tires Ive always had a set of all seasons for the super harsh winters here in SoCal. lol jk. I just like changing my wheels and tire set up every so often.

I've been through a set of kumho asx's and a set of Falken RT-615's, while the kumhos lasted me for about 20k or so they had sidewalls that were way too mushy for my taste. the falkens on the other hand gave me about 13k and were super sticky.

Right now Im back on all seasons with some Continental extremecontacts so far I've found them to be better than the kumho's good in the rain and also pretty decent in light snow up in Big Bear.

But I miss the superior handling of a dedicated summer so I'm probly gonna get a set of either Kumho Xs's or the new Yokoham Advans.

But for the OP I would definatly go with a A/s over a summer for your needs

These are the 4 tire's I would recommend to you going from cheapest to expensive

-Continental Extremecontact

-Goodyear Eagle GT

-Yokohama Advan S4

-Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus

you left out re 960. couple of those arent even in the same class. pilot sports are behind no matter the version.

sorry man...in wet weather there is no equal tire. in the dry one would have to drive like a jack ass to max out the traction. in snow...it will get you home no problems.

you left out nero m+s as well.

proxes 4's

you left out re 960. couple of those arent even in the same class. pilot sports are behind no matter the version.

sorry man...in wet weather there is no equal tire. in the dry one would have to drive like a jack ass to max out the traction. in snow...it will get you home no problems.

you left out nero m+s as well.

proxes 4's

what tire are u talking about? i have the kumho ASX. i have no problem with it. saw a decent amount of snow and i don't really drive like a maniac. like to go over 100 mph once in a while on an open highway. now im due for a new set of tires. im going to stick with All Seasons. wondering if there's anything better out there for the money. im willing to spend a lil more maybe $130ish a tire.

I have the A/S Pole position tires.

Worked great in snow the first 10k,

By 15k, they were tired (in snow).

By 20k, they were a joke (in the snow).

rain and dry, they are still doing well.

i had 30k and had them in the snow. seemed fine to me. check back a few months ago up here in wa. the gt drove all over the place. that was at 30k miles. made it through where others were stuck. 5 inch unpacked snow...not a problem.

now, at 35k miles...the rain grip is still there but due to the tread depth the ability to not hydroplane is diminishing.

what tire are u talking about? i have the kumho ASX. i have no problem with it. saw a decent amount of snow and i don't really drive like a maniac. like to go over 100 mph once in a while on an open highway. now im due for a new set of tires. im going to stick with All Seasons. wondering if there's anything better out there for the money. im willing to spend a lil more maybe $130ish a tire.

the 960 are about 160 each. you cant scrape up another 120 bones?

proxes 4's stick like mad but have a soft widewall. bet you can get a good deal on those.

Interesting thread...

i am also looking for a dedicated set of summers and I am also in the Boston area....

Still haven't decided on the wheels yet, probably Rotas Tarmac 3 or Torques....

That been said, after I get this I will probably use stock RE92's just for winter, nonetheless I don't do a lot of driving, less than 8k a year - my 05 LGT Wagon still has 23k miles...

;-)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I live in the Boston area, and went through this last year. I have to drive as far north as Canada, and as far south as NYC {more frequently to the North}. My car's stage I, but I like to drive. My biggest issue was the "shoulder seasons" when it might be 60-70 in Boston, and 30 {or less} in the North. I had people offering all sorts of suggestions, including three sets of rims and tires. I settled on a Nokian RSI snow tire, which is overkill in some respects, mounted on the stock rims for the winter. I went with a 205. It's been perfect for me. I've been in some awful weather, when I have had to drive, and the tires have been great. They're actually pretty good on the dry as well, and I've been pleased with the wear.

For the late spring, summer and fall {until Thanksgiving}, I'm running 960 A/S's in a 225 width on 17" BBS RK rims. I watch the tire pressure on them, and I have been really pleased. Just swapped them over a couple of weeks ago. To me, they are an A/S with a definite summer bias.

My biggest concern with a summer tire was getting caught up north in the fall with a tire that would harden up like a rock, and be undriveable in a light coating od snow or ice. The 960 A/S's are adequate in snow. I can get by with them up occasion. Keep in mind that I'm used to a narrow RSI, which is IMO the clear best. I put about 10K on the A/S's last summer. Very pleased with the tire. I sure wouldn't take them to the track, but for me, they work well.

well, I settled on 225/45/17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec off of Tirerack. $133/tire and a $50 rebate. Ordered them yesterday, tracking says they should be here by tomorrow.

I want to give a summer tire a shot and see if it performs how I want. I'll probably be doing my swap in mid/end November and then back mid/end April, but it will all depend on how the weather is at the time.

After testing this out, next time I need to buy tires I'll be able to tell if I want an A/S or Summer...I think I'll continue to run a dedicated winter, though. Those things saved my life a few times, and the wear on them has been surprisingly good. Just need to pick up a second set of rims at some point so I can just swap wheels instead of tires.

Archived