LegacyGT.com

rally wheels for GT?

cleaver

Hello,

I'm planing on getting 2.5GT in the near future and want to continue with my hobby of both paved and unpaved TSD rallies. I'm well aware that the huge brakes of the GT just about require 17" wheels.

Does anyone know if full rally wheels (e.g. Speedlines) in a 15" will fit? (Most rally tires are 15".) I do know they fit over WRX brakes, but I don't know about STi or LGT brakes.

Anyone done a test fit or have access to some to try?

Thanks,

Cleaver

Speedlines, or anything 15" (Or 16" for that matter) won't even come close to clearing LGT brakes. (You can try, but trust me! not even close at all!)

However, swapping to WRX brakes is a pretty easy job, if you're that dedicated to doing TSDs. That being said, only a few 15" wheels even fit over WRX brakes. Speedlines being one of them, I believe. I've rented a set from Mark Utecht to do some TSDs with my prior WRX, but buying them isn't cheap!

Another option is 2.5RS brakes, in which case you should be able to find a multitude of cheap 15" wheels that can clear those. It all depends on how much brake power you're willing to sacrifice for wheels.

Is the issue availability of wheels or appropriate tires? Prodrive P7's seem pretty stout and are built by Speedline and come in an LGT friendly size (17x7 with proper offset)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all those who replied with suggestions.

It's beginning to look like 15" rally wheels won't fit (I wanted them because almost all rally tires are 15", especially used take-offs from most teams). I fear that I may just have to get a spare set of factory 17" wheels and take my chances with 215/45s, as it will be primarily a street car and I'll want to preserve the reliability and serviceability rather than turn it into a cobbled-together hot rod. Still, I'm about a year away from purchase, so maybe some new discoveries will be made by then.

Thanks again,

Cleaver

solution

speedline 2118 15"

plus 03+ wrx brakes (not 02)

it will have a slight rerward bias shift of ~4%

i ran 02 brakes and 16 rims for snow tires

edit: never mind the 2118s won't clear the rear rotors either

Archived