LegacyGT.com

More Thoughts on the 2010 Legacy

Add me to the list of LGT owners who are sorely disappointed in the direction Subaru has gone with the 2010 Legacy. It’s understandable that Subaru wants to sell more Legacies but they are making a big mistake if they think genericizing the model is the way to do it. The ’05-’09 Legacy GT is slowly building a passionate following, and there are sound reasons why people love these cars. Rather than leveraging the uniqueness and the many strengths of the current Legacy, they are sacrificing them.

Subaru got where it is today by creating its own niche rather than following the pack. There’s always been a bit of mystique (or quirkiness) associated with Subaru. Viva la difference. To me, this is a little like when Honda and Yamaha started eating into the US motorcycle market years ago. Harley Davidson could have decided to make its bikes more like the Japanese bikes, or they could have stuck with the product and design philosophy that was responsible for their passionate and loyal customer base. They took the latter approach; improving their bikes but never abandoning their basic principles. GM did the same thing with the Corvette, sticking with what made that a great marque while continuing to improve the car. Contrast that with what Ford did with the Thunderbird; allowing it to morph into a bloated land yacht that gradually lost every characteristic that made it a T-bird in the first place. Seems like this is what is about to happen with the Legacy.

I drove nothing but Toyotas for 20 years and bought my Legacy because neither Toyota, Honda, nor Nissan made the AWD high performance sports sedan I wanted. I don’t want to pay the premium for a luxury brand like Lexus or Acura or Infiniti or BMW and I don’t want all the unnecessary bells and whistles that come with those brands. I’m happy to spend $25-30K on a car but I want that money to buy reliability, safety, performance, handling, and I want it to be fun to drive and nice looking. I want a driver's car that's also a functional sedan. I gotta believe there are lots and lots of people out there who feel the same way, but they don’t even know about the greatness of the Legacy GT because Subaru has done such a weak job of marketing it. Instead of improving the marketing, they are fundamentally changing the car. They are solving the wrong problem.

I agree with you, I think the I's and 3.6's will probably sell great, but saddly I'm starting to think the death of the turbo leggy is going to be a possible future :( I love everything about my 08, and was hopping they would improve on it this time around. Atleast our cars will stop losing value as quick

I agree with you, I think the I's and 3.6's will probably sell great, but saddly I'm starting to think the death of the turbo leggy is going to be a possible future :( I love everything about my 08, and was hopping they would improve on it this time around. Atleast our cars will stop losing value as quick

I'm gonna reserve judgment until I can test drive the car. My greater concern is that prices will be significantly higher and move into some pretty competitive territory. The whole idea behind Subaru -- regardless of model -- has always been value.

The huge disappointment for me is no AT option on the GT. I'm in my mid-fifties with sciatica and two kinds of arthritis, with a stop-n-go rush hour commute on I95. I can't take the clutching in that traffic any more, and have loved my '05 GT and to a slightly lesser degree my '08. There won't be an '11 in my driveway if I have to row a 6-speed MT. I guess I'll be looking at the G35X at replacement time.

When I want the blast of shifting in the twisties, I "steal" my wife's WRX. :)

Isn't the LGT available with the 5EAT for '10? They were just commenting that the MT option is now a 6MT (and it is standard).
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yup. I think it all went wrong in 2006 when they introduced the tribeca. It's been downhill since then. The legacy's started getting SI drive, the hatchback impreza, the fozzy lost it's butchness and put on a TON of weight turning into an SUV, The STi A-Line, and now this? it's all pathetic.

I officially hate subaru. Used to love em, was a dire fan boy, but now, bllleeegh - DO NOT WANT.

And come on, a 3.6L making less power than the 2.0GT, it's appauling. If i wanted an un-interesting 3.6L lump in an ordinarymobile, i'd buy a toyota camry.... and i HATE camry's (for being so booring).

There are more subtle reasons i hate the new legacy too. There are a few really defining characteristics of the legacy range. One of them has been the low bonnet line, which showed off the fact we have boxer's. Now look at the legacy, you could fit town hall under there. :unamused:

edit:

did some little pictures to show what i mean when talking bonnet line. They f*cked it up royally in the 2010 leggy. Bunch of tossers.

http://reuben.xpjets.com/random/2010lgt/fail-legacy.jpghttp://reuben.xpjets.com/random/2010lgt/win-legacy.jpg

Guest heightsgtltd

"The stars guide the way to epic fail" :lol:

As expressed by our member B4SOA, they do not seem to be concerned about what was their core group of customers anymore ;)

"The stars guide the way to epic fail" :lol:

As expressed by our member B4SOA, they do not seem to be concerned about what was their core group of customers anymore ;)

They care about their NEW core group... Which doesn't happen to be us.

I'm sure there will be some "enthusiast" retention models available soon.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Guest heightsgtltd

Except it isn't a proven core group at this point is it? One can wish for whatever you want, but it doesn't make it true..

remove "us" from the equation, and you get people who may want things like HIDs, folding mirrors, fog lights, etc.... uh oh... can't help them there either..

In addition, CVTs require a little bit of a leap for people to buy in to that a 5speed auto does not..

The average consumer has no idea about Legacy, or Legacy GT for that matter.

Same discussion in 2-3 other threads.:rolleyes:

Sometimes those threads get jacked and off topic.;)

I think Subaru is afraid of staying known as a "niche" vehicle manufacturer after seeing what has happened to the big 3, catering to gas swilling SUV lovers and ignoring other market areas. Rest assured I do not think Subaru would totally shut out the audience that made them sucessful.Here is how I see this; I NEVER would have owned a Subaru until I saw the 05 Legacy. Handsome, sophisticated (for a Subaru), more mainstream styling and sometimes mistaken for an Audi or an Acura by people who ride in it. I could never get past the quirky styling, whiny transmissions and constant thrum of the typical Subaru engine. When I drove my LGT, I was blown away at the beautiful interior, the refinement they had poured into that car. Four years later, that refinement seems a bit dated but I still love my car.

Did we all think the WRX was mainstream when it was introduced? We all laughed at it. I saw an 09' WRX 4 door last week on the highway. It was strikingly beautiful in my rear view mirror.

Cars are like women, the longer you look, the more appealing they become. The fact is the Legacy is growing up. Subaru needs to sell cars to stay in business. For the rest of us, there is the new WRX:).

It just sucks that alot of us that are looking for the quick car that nobody knows about are going to have to go to something alot of people know is quick and want to mess with us on the roads. I got rid of my impreza because I loved how much the legcy was unknown in the realm of being a quick car, and I got tried of people trying to race me every chance they got. I don't mind the fact the it's only a 6mt, infact that would be alot more fun than my 5mt (I think) but the stuff that I don't like is the lak of the lsd, added weight, not as much of a hp add to compensate for the weight, we'll see how these work out into handling once the car is released and people start driving the gt's. As for the other 2 model lines it looks like subaru has created another situation like they did with the 09 forester, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have the HUGE sales increases to prove it...

For those saying "Not much HP to overcome the weight" you really have no idea.

The car gained ~22 HP according to Subaru.....and it gained a massive amount of low-end torque, as well as a much flatter torque curve. This engine/turbo (apparently) gives the 09 WRX acceleration about equal to a 09 STI. And that's without the new, flatter, fatter torque curve that the new Legacy GT is supposed to have due to the turbo relocation/catalyst modification.

We don't know how this car is going to drive yet. But I wouldn't be moaning about the power just yet.

I’m happy to spend $25-30K on a car but I want that money to buy reliability, safety, performance, handling, and I want it to be fun to drive and nice looking. I want a driver's car that's also a functional sedan.

...everything that is currently known about the '10 appears to expand on those desired values. Granted the looks are subjective, but I will say like the new Impreza sedan it looks much better in person imo. As a functional sedan the increase in rear legroom is a clear plus for the new model.

...not as much of a hp add to compensate for the weight

...at this time the exact weight of the '10 LGT is unknown.

I've heard that the new LGT is has a much better powerband, is just as quick off the line, has better midrange power, and handles considerably better than the current car.

I'm am soooooo happy they lifted the hood on the cars. When subaru's were slim bodied like the 1990 Legacy... it looked sporty... the car was shaped like a triangle coming to a point at the nose. After awhile... the cars started to look like someone with a normal body and a tiny head.

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0905/7.jpg

The shape is completely disproportionate. The front end looks tacked on. It really began to bother me with the 2005 model year... especially the wagon. European pedestrian safety probably dictated the change to a taller hoodline... but i think that gives the car more road presence and doesn't make it look like so odd.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It just sucks that alot of us that are looking for the quick car that nobody knows about are going to have to go to something alot of people know is quick and want to mess with us on the roads. I got rid of my impreza because I loved how much the legcy was unknown in the realm of being a quick car, and I got tried of people trying to race me every chance they got. I don't mind the fact the it's only a 6mt, infact that would be alot more fun than my 5mt (I think) but the stuff that I don't like is the lak of the lsd, added weight, not as much of a hp add to compensate for the weight, we'll see how these work out into handling once the car is released and people start driving the gt's. As for the other 2 model lines it looks like subaru has created another situation like they did with the 09 forester, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have the HUGE sales increases to prove it...

LOL. The LGT is not a quick car!

the wrx is faster 0-60 than the sti. I own an STI and the first thing I thought when I test drove the 2009 WRX was that it definitely felt more powerful and faster than my car in sport mode.

The STI will kill a wrx in any other measure of acceleration. The wrx is quicker in 0-60 because the STI requires an extra shift before reaching 60.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived