LegacyGT.com

Introducing the tire/wheel combo the 2005 Outback XT **should have** come with!

+1

Tim, I'm not here to slam you, but the idea of "minus-sizing" wheels and tires would have never occurred to me.

Given that SOA spec'ed such dinky brakes, I guess there's no good reason NOT to use 16s.

I'm avoiding anything smaller than 17s because I ultimately expect to upgrade to LGT brakes.

Bimmer

No worries...no 'slam' taken....we're all friends here and afterall, I DID ask for feedback ;)

Believe me, this is a first for me, too. I never would've thought to minus-size a set of wheels on ANY car I've owned before, but at the same time I've also never owned a car where the suspension was so inadequate for the power of the car. I just figured since I'll likely never have the beans to replace the suspension, I'll move "down" to a smaller sized rim and "up" to a top-of-the-line UHP All-Season tire and see where it takes me.

At the end of the day (and with the significantly lighter wheels), my car does handle a lot better with the improved 16" rubber than with the stock 17's and a middle-of-the-road UHP All-Season (which is about all I could afford in a 17"). Next comes a stock LGT RSB (which will be 'gratis' compliments of an LGT friend of mine) and then at some point a larger RSB if I feel it needs it.

Then the only thing I'll need to worry about is what to replace the stock struts with WHEN (not "if") they start leaking. I'll be damned if Subaru gets another dime of mine towards its crappy current gen suspension parts...

Tim

• 1 month later...
I did nearly the same thing you did, put on non-OEM 16" rims with all season tires. Now, a year later, and I wish I had gone up to 18" rims instead of down to 16" rims. The taller sidewall results in much more sidewall flex and resultant understeer. True, the wheels are lighter and the car accelerates a little faster, but not enough to offset the cornering losses. Also, the sidewall flex is causing major treadwear on the outer half of the front tires. I will wear them out this summer and then replace the summer set with 18 rims shod with summer performance tires.

I'll suggest the outside wear is alignment, not sidewall.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I did nearly the same thing you did, put on non-OEM 16" rims with all season tires. Now, a year later, and I wish I had gone up to 18" rims instead of down to 16" rims. The taller sidewall results in much more sidewall flex and resultant understeer. True, the wheels are lighter and the car accelerates a little faster, but not enough to offset the cornering losses. Also, the sidewall flex is causing major treadwear on the outer half of the front tires. I will wear them out this summer and then replace the summer set with 18 rims shod with summer performance tires.

Appreciate the information.

The fact that I went from a set of Falken 512s in stock size to a vastly superior tire (Michelin PS A/S Plus) in 16" means the sidewall flex I'm seeing is negligible and the car actually tracks, corners and handles bumps much better than before when I was running stock sized tires.

As for the increased treadwear you saw when switching down to a 16", I'm not entirely sure that specific change in dynamics would cause that. Whatever attribute which was to blame for your 16" tires wearing on the outside edges (e.g., toe in, front end camber, etc) was likely also there when you were running stock sized tires. Obviously a "brick" like the Potenza RE92a will exhibit any abnormal wear much slower than a softer rubber compound, but rim size and sidewall height shouldn't play any part in increasing or decreasing that wear.

Just my $.02.

Tim

the '00-'01 stock RS wheels are among the the best OE wheels Subaru put out there - relatively light weight, very strong and capable of housing the Subaru 4-pot brakes from JDM and later WRXs. IMHO, the perfect choice for the off-highway duties n Outback can tackle.

i think they have a timeless, simple design too, but i may be biased: http://brandendesign.com/rs.html I would keep them for my '06 OBXT but a large brake upgrade is planned which will require Subaru's other great wheel, from the '04 STi...

-B

I thought it was alignment too, but my winter tires showed no abnormal tread wear. On the flip side I did not put high performance tires on the 16" rims which probably is the problem then. Cheers!

Now look what you did....you jinxed me!! ;)

I just noticed my front outer edges are feathering ever so slightly--and I've only had these new tires for just over 1000 miles.

Had the dealer check the alignment AGAIN (they had also done it when I had the tires mounted), and said the alignment is perfectly in spec.

Not sure what the deal is here but I intend to get to the bottom of this before my $700 worth of Michelins are worn out!

Tim

Now look what you did....you jinxed me!! ;)

I just noticed my front outer edges are feathering ever so slightly--and I've only had these new tires for just over 1000 miles.

Had the dealer check the alignment AGAIN (they had also done it when I had the tires mounted), and said the alignment is perfectly in spec.

Not sure what the deal is here but I intend to get to the bottom of this before my $700 worth of Michelins are worn out!

Tim

Dooh!!:redface: Good luck and let me know what you find. My bet is still on too much sidewall.

Archived