LegacyGT.com

Introducing the tire/wheel combo the 2005 Outback XT **should have** come with!

Here's my set of OEM Subaru 16x7 6-spoke alloys from an '01 2.5RS (painted gunmetal) shod with a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus in size 225/60-16. Just had everything mounted yesterday (and of course the dealer also found a torn CV boot....cha-ching!! :spin: )

The RS wheels weight approx 16.5 lbs as compared to the stock XT 17" rims which weighed-in at around 21+ lbs each.

Feedback welcome!

Tim

1646783629_subie-newwheelsntires009.thumb.jpg.82f44eeadffad8e644bd5030d1976b4b.jpg

643815445_subie-newwheelsntires003.thumb.jpg.c6b6b2ec3a512afccd5ed7f268a46341.jpg

1721681241_subie-newwheelsntires008.thumb.jpg.90fcfd20217550d967ed5c4581a555e0.jpg

FWIW, I think they look great.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Wow someone actually put 16" wheels on a new model Outback. So apparently Subaru wasn't completely full of it when they chose put retardedly tiny brakes on a ~200 whp car. Kudos to you for actually making use of those stupid brakes.
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Stupid brakes yes since the LGT's would have worked fine but the XT's actually use WRX calipers.

Wheels look great BTW.

Wow someone actually put 16" wheels on a new model Outback. So apparently Subaru wasn't completely full of it when they chose put retardedly tiny brakes on a ~200 whp car. Kudos to you for actually making use of those stupid brakes.

I actually think it looks pretty good - & I'm not a fan of 16" wheels. Nice job!

Thanks.

In general, I'm with ya' on the no-likey 16" rims, but this is part of my "consolidation" to year 'round rubber and an attempts to get away from the not-so-common stock 17" OB tire size. Had it not been for the higher costs of rims and rubber, I probably would've at least tried 18's instead...although I'm not sure how goofey my car would've handled with 245's on it.

Appreciate the 'thumbs up'!

Tim

You may be trying to make a point in there somewhere (or maybe it was a compliment?) but for the life of me I sure can't find it. ;)

I've had no issues whatsoever with my tiny brakes...I got 62k out of my orig pads and now at 68k I'm still on my orig (and uncut) rotors. They stop the car great...then again with my car's suspension still being stock, common sense dictates that I don't take "full advantage" of having 200+ whp either.

If it weren't for the stock suspension (and the fact I don't have the means to upgrade it), I'd have gone to 18's instead, but all things considered, I'm likin' what I've got now.

Tim

Stupid brakes yes since the LGT's would have worked fine but the XT's actually use WRX calipers.

Wheels look great BTW.

Thanks FSR!

I agree...the real hold-back on the XT isn't the brakes....it's the suspension. The reason I find no joy in driving my OB over 80mph is not because it has any trouble stopping (which it doesn't)...it's because it handles like crap, and the replacement options so far are expensive, complicated and of questionable longevity.

On a side note, I will say these new Michelin's rock! Nice and smooth, firm ride, good cornering control....wish I'd been able to get them while we still had some snow. They're alleged to be pretty decent.

Tim

And then there are some of us (OK, maybe just me) who think that 17's look too big.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

+1

wow someone actually put 16" wheels on a new model outback. So apparently subaru wasn't completely full of it when they chose put retardedly tiny brakes on a ~200 whp car. Kudos to you for actually making use of those stupid brakes.

+1

Tim, I'm not here to slam you, but the idea of "minus-sizing" wheels and tires would have never occurred to me.

Given that SOA spec'ed such dinky brakes, I guess there's no good reason NOT to use 16s.

I'm avoiding anything smaller than 17s because I ultimately expect to upgrade to LGT brakes.

Bimmer

...although I'm not sure how goofey my car would've handled with 245's on it.

We have Goodyear F1 All-Seasons in 245/40-18 on our OBXT, and they improved the handling significantly (compared to the stock 17s). I'd think that the taller sidewalls on the 16s would be what would lead to "goofey handling". HPH

We have Goodyear F1 All-Seasons in 245/40-18 on our OBXT, and they improved the handling significantly (compared to the stock 17s). I'd think that the taller sidewalls on the 16s would be what would lead to "goofey handling". HPH

are sure they are 245-40-18 ????

they should be 245-45-18 for Outback :confused:

^^ Correct. I bought them originally for my Spec.B (for which they are the correct size), but they're too wide (the rears rub on suspension compressions). So I put 'em on the Outback; they're about 5% too small on a comparison of GPS (Nav system) speeds with the speedo. Handling comments still apply, though.

I'll move up to 245/45s when these get worn. HPH

Archived