LegacyGT.com

Wear indicator does not allow me to install pads :(

abacuz

Hello, I feel like such a noob :( and I thank you in advance for your help.

Pads: Hawk Hps

Caliper : Front LGT.

There is a small hook like called Pad return spring that holds on to the caliper braket and does not allow me to slide the pad all the way to the back, so it sits fine in one side, but it is sticking to the inside on the other.

Can some one explain or show me how the pads are supposed to fit so that repturn spring sits right ? please !

thank you. ( Images are SAMPLE images )

http://www.miata.net/garage/fronthub/images/pad_springs_large.jpg

ok, I just learned something, its not the wear indicator, is the Pad return spring, that is built in to the pad that does not allow me to do this.

http://www.stimpco.com/upload/Legacy%20GT%20Manual/12%20-%20Brakes/Brakes/04%20-%20Front%20Disc%20Brake%20Assembly.pdf

Can some one show me a better piture or explain how the pad spring mettal thingy fits ? the picture is not that clear.

Thank you.

It's been some time...but my recollection is you need to install the end of the pad with the return clip first, then push the other side of the pad into the caliper. I was reinstalling stock pads after inspection, not fitting Hawk aftermarket, so they might have different issues.

one side of the pad can be slid into place on an angle, the other, may require the aid of a screwdriver to get the spring tab out of the way, or just a finger. To be honest, I've changed pads on those calipers so often, I get the new pads in place without much effort and no special tools.

• 11 months later...

I have never seen these pad return springs, either on two sets of

new factory pads I put on my old 97, nor on the factory ones I just

took off my '06, nor on the Wagner ThermoQuiet I just replaced

them with. The new ones did have the wear indicators, but I

hacksawed 'em off; they were making it a pain to get the new

pads into position and I'm not so clueless as to let my pads

get worn that far ...

+1 on ripping the wear indicators off. You don't need those or the pad return springs. And you don't need a hacksaw to remove the wear indicators, just bend them back and forth a few times. They'll break off.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

this was a year ago, but thankx for the replies.

yes. it was not a pad return stping as i mentioned , it was the wear indicator.

they go on the inside, i wanted to put them on the outside thats why they did not fit just right .

again, thank you, hope this helps some one on the forum :)

Archived