LegacyGT.com

Any thoughts about a "Recommended Indy Mechanics" forum?

I know this has been done in other non-Subaru forums, but I didn't see one here on LegacyGT.com.

Basically, it allows members to make recommendations of independent Subaru-specific or non-specific mechanics by state/city. People can share both good and bad experiences, so people looking for an indy in their area will also know who to stay away from--and why.

With a house and 2 little kids, I don't do much wrenching myself anymore, and am tired of paying the dealer's prices to have anything done on my car. I'd love to know if anyone knows of a good indy shop in my area.

Just a thought....

Thanks,

Tim

We have a reviews section.

so are you suggesting this should go under "Dealers" or "Vendors"? I didn't see any other applicable categories...unless you're suggesting that one could be created.

sorry, not trying to bother you...was just a suggestion.

hmmm, so it has...."asked for" and then pretty much "dismissed" it seems.

I could maybe agree with the "stickies" comment, but i really don't understand why this idea wouldn't be seen as something which adds value to this community. I think the Dealer feedback section was a really good idea, but let's face it--those of us with 2005-2006 model cars are mostly off warranty, and who the hell has the money to keep going to the dealer for service. The logical answer would be to have an Indy Mechanic feedback section right next to Dealer feedback. It's not like I'm asking that a new section be created so I can review my toaster.

But it's still just better to ask in your regional forum. In 6 years we've accumulated a whopping 2 reviews of dealerships. It's not helpful to have 1 review of anything, 3000 miles away from me, from 3 years ago - it's a lopsided view. Either directly asking members in your area via regional forums or using Yelp is going to be 100x more effective than when I put up an indy review forum.

It's really nice to know someone would read a review if it were there, but you're not even asking to leave a review.

But it's still just better to ask in your regional forum. In 6 years we've accumulated a whopping 2 reviews of dealerships. It's not helpful to have 1 review of anything, 3000 miles away from me, from 3 years ago - it's a lopsided view. Either directly asking members in your area via regional forums or using Yelp is going to be 100x more effective than when I put up an indy review forum.

It's really nice to know someone would read a review if it were there, but you're not even asking to leave a review.

Appreciate the explanation and your clarification. Will give this a shot with my regional forum.

And I'm not exactly sure why you're assuming that I had nothing to contribute just because I was asking if anyone else had any indies they would recommend. Regardless, I think we're done here. I hope your day improves.

I don't know what you mean by 'I hope your day improves.' My opinion here is only based on long term understanding of user behavior on the site. I never said your idea was bad or a waste of time. It's a perfectly decent idea. I'm even still going to make a separate category for indy reviews. But you asked why your idea wouldn't be of value, so I explained. None of this is meant to be of any offense.

Archived