LegacyGT.com

Anyone buy one of these headlights?

HansGT

Need a replacement headlight assembly. Dealer is $200-216 + shipping.

Carstuff has one for $121 shipped. (actually $111 after coupon coad READY4SUMMER)

"OE" replacement. However I'm not sure of the quality. I don't want the lense to fad and I'm concerned that the materials will not match my other original light. What do you think?

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/subarulegacy20052005replacements1001541.html#

BTW...they have the hood (aluminum) for $212.49...seems cheap...not that I need a hood.

I just purchased a set from them using that exact code and they are made by TYC and look to be well made light. The only quirk I had with them was the rubber seal on the top looked like it had weak glue since it separated in one place while sitting out in the sun but a little epoxy fixed it right up

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

So I can build my 6.0L V8 Legacy GT Here

Hmmm...

Do you recall if the inside plastic was the same as the original? Yah know...that dark charcoal, near black color with specks. Just wondering if the inside is flat black or something.

BTW...any pics?

^ I have Subie Bucks so the headlight is "free". Don't know if I want to cash in 200 on this or spend $110 on aftermarket and save the subie bucks for something bigger....600 now...a few more and maybe a VF52 turbo purchase.:)

I got those same lights new off ebay to replace the all-chrome lights my car came with about a year and a half ago. When I got them I opened them up to take out the orange reflectors and do a retrofit with some RX-330 projectors. Last fall I noticed the clear-coating on the outside of both lenses had started to bubble up and peel off. I don't know if it's the lights themselves or because I baked them to open them up. I hadn't had any problems with them up until then.

Car is at my dads place, but here is a pic of the headlight I took while doing mock ups for my repair. I'll try and get some better pics this weekend.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3374/headlightl.jpg

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

Yeah, from what I saw they look to be an exact replica of the oem light. I will be fitting the bumper tonight so that light will be out and I'll take a comparison shot.

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

• 3 weeks later...
I got those same lights new off ebay to replace the all-chrome lights my car came with about a year and a half ago. When I got them I opened them up to take out the orange reflectors and do a retrofit with some RX-330 projectors. Last fall I noticed the clear-coating on the outside of both lenses had started to bubble up and peel off. I don't know if it's the lights themselves or because I baked them to open them up. I hadn't had any problems with them up until then.

do you have any pics of the blistering?

do you have any pics of the blistering?

Sure, it was kind of hard to get on camera, but I think you should be able to see it:

Driver's side light with big bubble/blister:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dametzg/driverheadlight.jpg

Passenger side light where the outer coating is peeling off:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dametzg/passheadlight.jpg

that is some bad flaking, definitely will not be baking mine. As far as fixing yours, I would try to sand it down to a rough surface, then sand up to 2000 grit and do a little clearcoat

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

that is some bad flaking, definitely will not be baking mine. As far as fixing yours, I would try to sand it down to a rough surface, then sand up to 2000 grit and do a little clearcoat

Yeah, that's what I plan on doing to them in the next couple weeks. I'll have to be real careful taking off my eyelids though. One of them has a crack in it (you can see towards the top of the first pic if you look close) so I don't know if they'll survive being removed or not. If not, I guess it's not too big of a loss since I won them from the Red Cross Christmas raffle on here a few years ago.

Archived