LegacyGT.com

Built some exhaust tips...

rodan

I've been getting things together to do my exhaust, but had been vacillating over what kind of tips to use. I really like the dual tips on the Legacy STI show car, but really don't want to lay out $1k+ for the JDM mufflers. So I decided, what the hell, I'll just make a set.

Used 2.25" mandrel 'U' bend from Summit (x2 @ $13.95), a little chopping, channelling and welding, and... bingo...some STI style tips!

Now the $64 question: how do I finish them, chrome, ceramic (JetHot or HPC) silver, or ceramic black? What does everyone think?

Tips2.JPG.2d3e05b29324a9327427da75dcd64bdf.JPG

Tips4.JPG.eb6923405b6846777804f4d4d8740e12.JPG

Tips1.JPG.c2615fde13533f64968477bb341a59b4.JPG

Tips3.JPG.da82fc2737b6cd780a8923904fe10220.JPG

They're going on Spintechs when I get my exhaust done, and I made them to match the outlet. The stock muffler actually has a flared pipe which the chrome tip slides over and then screws onto a bracket welded to the pipe. You'd have to cut it all off to change the tips.

rodan - FYI, if you have the tips ceramic coated right now, you won't be able to weld them onto your mufflers of choice unless you remove a bit of the ceramic coating prior to welding. You would've been better off to use lots of elbow grease and polished 'em yourself. After they're welded to your mufflers you can have the tips chrome dipped.

I'm not rodan, but I think he used aluminized tubing, so polishing wouldn't yield good results, plus they would rust in short order. Shouldn't be a big deal to sand off a little of the ceramic coating at the ends to weld them to the mufflers, or they could be clamped on as is, although that won't look too clean.

wouldn't it be easier to just by the tips like these?

Easier, yes. But, as noted above they aren't staggered like the STI Legacy. In addition, most of those are too long to work with the space available on the Legacy. Finally, $55 for a chrome tip?? Even after the HPC coating, I will have about $30 in each tip, which is still too much... But they are custom. :D

And that's really what its all about, making your car exactly what you want, making parts yourself if necessary to get what you want.

As for welding them after coating, the HPC coating is supposed to be weldable... we'll see...:)

Archived