LegacyGT.com

Broken Lug nuts , need UR opinion

peteyjr

Drove up the Florida Turnpike this morning heading to a state park/beach and noticed a wheel shimmy getting worse and worse. Thought I had a flat . Pulled off to the side of the road and found no flat but the rear drivers wheel with only 3 lug nuts and two of them not only off but the bolts sheared. The remaining lugs were loose as a goose so I tightened them and got home without problems (driving carefully). Last weekend I did an autocross but had friends do the tire change to my track tire setup (can't do too much effort as I'm recovering from a big back surgery). Obviously they either overtorqued them or left them loose. I'm not about to worry as I'm happy nothing really happened and got home safely. What I need to know is do you have to change the hub assembly or can you order the wheel bolts to repair the problem. I won't be able to do this myself and will have to take the Leggy in for repair. Need some ammo in case a mechanic tries to pull a fast one . Thanks for your input if you have it.

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj204/chilipo/th_Wheelpic.jpg

You sure you have to pull the hub off? I've never done them on a legacy, but on all mitsubishis (yes I'm a DSM nutball) You can knock them out, and slip them through the side with your finger. Ie it's actually not that hard of a procedure.

Mine needs to be replaced on the front, and I was informed the hub had to come off. I was planning on trying to do it without pulling the hub though... I haven't looked at it to closely.

I had the same problem and I changed them myself with a new stud, hammer, and some washers. Some people say that hammering out studs will mess with wheel bearings but I replaced mine probably 5k miles ago without any problems at all.

Ditto, ended up stripping 2 studs on my front wheel 2 months ago, took the wheel off, I think the caliper had to come off, but with a rubber mallet I banged the old ones out and then tapped the new ones in. Honestly easy enough to do it less than hour taking your sweet time.

FWIW: I had replaced studs once (on another type of car) by not taking the hub off. I think the hammering in/out of the studs damaged the wheel bearing since it went a few thousand miles later.

so the hub dcoesn't have to come off?

that's good

Nope, didn't have to take off the hub, I can't remember if the caliper had to come off, I think it did, but there was enough room to bang the stud out and then bang a new one in.

I think ShadowIMG is on the money , they were put on hastily in front of a fast approaching rain storm and likely not torqued down properly. When the wheel wobbled badly they likely came loose and sheared off the lugs.

BTW went to local Subie dealer and they did not have them . They have to order them. Anyone know what size thread and length of the lug . I may have to look for an alternative elsewhere as it will take days to get them from the dealer.

Archived