LegacyGT.com

Tracking Down Missing Boost

praedet

All right, as I go into my install this weekend, I am trying to diagnose a problem I have had for a long time...

So, this all started back when I switched from TMIC to FMIC on the VF40. No matter how much boost I request, I get roughly 11-12 psi as mw max. This is with running the WGDC as high as 95 w/ boost targets of 15-16 psi. Since the first real sign of this problem, here are the multiple set-ups I have had where the problem was still present.

VF40, FMIC, GFB BOV on full recirc, Pro-drive BCS

VF40, FMIC, GFB BOV on full recirc, Stock BCS

VF40, AVO TMIC, GFB BOV on full recirc, Stock BCS

VF40, Stock TMIC, GFB BOV on full recirc, Stock BCS

VF40, AVO TMIC, Stock BPV, Stock BCS

So, what do you all think. Is it a leak somewhere? I am about to do an STi swap and I would love to have some idea what to fix, or if this will go away, before I do it...

Thanks,

Ted

:spin:

Actuator on the VF40?

Probably not a tuning issue, but you could find out for sure by logging MRP, WG, target boost, TDint, and TDprop... but if your ecu is reporting WG pegged at 95% then the tune is doing everything it can to increase boost.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Vacuum on the COBB, or my gauge...

I believe it is roughly 17-18 mmhg on the gauge at idle...

I understand how the pill would be an issue, but then why was I able to hit 17psi out here before the FMIC install, and not able to hit above 11 w/ the Prodrive EBCS as I increased Duty cycle?

:spin:

+1 ...but like he said, be very careful....boost will shoot up fast. As soon as you see it get to 17 or so, let off quick. Then you know it's a control issue.

To test for sure disconnect the tube that goes to the waste gate and BE CAREFUL! Odds are that you will see plenty of boost.

Sorry, don't mean to steal ur thunder but I have the same problem, except mine started when my battery was dying. The clock kept resetting every start up and the car would struggle to start. Once I changed it, suddenly I couldn't boost more than 13 psi, before that I was boosting about 17 on a TDC stage 2 map.

That's the method I used to confirm it was some sort of control issue. I had the odd case of one of the shops installing my lines backwards so the pill was in the wrong hose (pill should be in the line coming direct from the turbo housing).

If you haven't, read Cobb's good article on the factory boost system:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3482

If for some reason the solenoid isn't bleeding off air like it should (WGDC), then the supply air pressurizes the actuator. As soon as that pressure gets close to the actuator spring pressure, the wastegate starts to open and you loose boost. Stock actuator is around 12 lbs, hence why in some of these problem situations, people get 12 psi of boost but no more. Basically, that's like connecting a hose direct from your turbo to your wastegate actuator with no solenoid.

Cfdrumr, if you're still having the issue, have you logged your WGDC?

Sorry, don't mean to steal ur thunder but I have the same problem, except mine started when my battery was dying. The clock kept resetting every start up and the car would struggle to start. Once I changed it, suddenly I couldn't boost more than 13 psi, before that I was boosting about 17 on a TDC stage 2 map.

I think you need to reload your RT Map. TDC tunes require both base and RT, if you are having issues with your battery, you may have erased the RT map.

I actually tried that, I also tried the Cobb maps both base and rt, reverted back to stock (that sucked) and re loaded both TDC maps. Today, with really nice weather (lo 70s and dry) I almost hit 15. I'm pulling that WG hose tomorow and see what happens. Thanks caramall2

Archived