LegacyGT.com

Installed gauges, lot a pics and question?

hodgeee

That's what I thought, too....I'm inclined to go AVO's route.....

Anyone else?

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
any problems with tapping your boost gauge where the red arrow is? This is where i did mine. I also hooked up my boost controller right at the wastegate, can't seem to get it to stop boosting up to around 20 psi no matter how i adjust it?

boost-gauge-002.jpg.20d808299fe63a954a2c2af0bcb58b97.jpg

Those Defi are 60mm thats why you are having problems...IT'S TOO BIG !!!!

52mm is cobalts...check it out!!! ;)

CRAZY KEN

Of course if you take ount he door entirely you can make a plate and fit those puppies nicely!!!

TSi+WRX & mccorry,

Thanks for your thoughts. I do agree that the closer to the manifold, the better.

I was thinking that, "closer" including the hose length to your gauge too, right?

Let's say that I have a 15 ft. (exaggerating) hose and I tapped it at where AVO's instruction shows. And then I had a 6 ft. hose and I tapped it to where Jedi did his. So should I get more accurate reading from AVO's because it's tapped closer to the manifold; or is it more accurate from Jedi's because it's a shorter (6 ft.) hose?

I brought this up because AVO's requires a longer hose than Jedi's, considering I'm going to hooking up the gauage to the left side of dash (closer to Jedi's route). It would be helpful to hear everyone's thoughts before I (or whoever's going to do this) install the gauge...

BTW, I bought an Autometer "Sport Comp" gauge (cheaper) to do my install, and the supplied hose is only 1/8" O.D.! This is way thinner than other hoses, don't know if this would make a difference....:confused:

CRAZY KEN

Of course if you take ount he door entirely you can make a plate and fit those puppies nicely!!!

I am working on that right now.....

And for your information... they are not Defi's... they are Pro racing and are, in fact, 52mm.....

Henkle,

I don't think that hose diameter makes much of a difference - I could be wrong, of course, but it just seems to me that a pressure reading is a pressure reading, and that hose OD/ID should not factor-in overall.

As for the "other" distance, hum, good point.....I honestly don't know. :(

I just installed my AutoMeter NEXUS boost gauge, and unfortunately, since it's an electrical gauge, I can't help you much with your question as my vac-T -to- sender distance was only separated by, at most, 36-inches.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Thanks TSi+WRX for your thoughts! I found this forum very helpful; full of info & opinions. Just gotta love all you guys!:lol:

I'd get the NEXUS too, if I weren't saving up money for other mods...:D The NEXUS is WAY nicer! I was just amazed that Subaru didn't put a boost gauge in the GT!

Anyway, I'll be installing the gauge this weekend (finally got some free time). And if the hose is long enough, I'll attempt to tap it at AVO's; otherwise I'll tap it the same way as Jedi's. I'm just hoping that the gauge gives a reasonably stable, accurate reading. Well, I'll post up again if I found out anything that might help anyone in this forum!:p

I was just amazed that Subaru didn't put a boost gauge in the GT!

i'm glad they didn't! the factory one on the wife's WRX is crap - its not in PSI and too small to read anyway.

Anyway, I'll be installing the gauge this weekend (finally got some free time). And if the hose is long enough, I'll attempt to tap it at AVO's; otherwise I'll tap it the same way as Jedi's.

i used the "AVO method" - if i remember right, the tubing at the "Jedi location" was larger - the fittings and tubing that came with my gauge wouldn't work there, so i did it the other way.

Henkle,

I hope your install is going well! :) I'll be thinking of you!

-----

All - in any case, I tapped just a tad bit closer to the manifold, via hogdeee's method (which only differs from AVO's by a mere inch or two distance)

Henkle, if you tap via either AVO's or hogdeee's method, I'd recommend that you cut the tube that you're going to tap into while it is in-situ, and then pull off both ends of the now cut tube, insert your tap T, and then re-install the now completed assembly back to both ends (one is some kind of sensor connection on the "left" side, the other is to the manifold on the "right"). This makes it so much easier than trying to squeeze your hands in to that little space.... :)

So far, the gauge is as responsive as any of my previous vehicles - as for accuracy, I'd have to verify this with another gauge/meter/logger, which, unfortuantely, I do not have access to.

-A

TSi+WRX,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've installed my boost gauge. I put the gauge on my steering column (away from other gauges without blocking anything), and I tapped the hose in where Jedi did his (hose wasn't long enough, and I didn't want to extend it further).

I'm happy with the results. Since my purpose is to learn when & how much the pressure changes (rather than exact pressure reading), the gauge is very responsive on this regard. But I'm a bit surprised that I don't get positive pressure readings very often. This is probably due to where I tapped the hose (a bit far from the turbo itself). But again, I'm happy that I finally get to know when & how much the turbo kicks in...:) (our turbos are very quiet straight out the factory).

Again, thanks for all your help! I couldn't do this without this forum. Oh, I didn't take pictures, as Jedi & AVO had theirs posted. But if anyone wants me to, I'll gladly do it!:) I bought a black-faced Sport Comp gauge from Autometer, which doesn't quite match our other gauges too well at night... And I used the 52mm gauge pod (also from Autometer), used a 3M double-sided tape to stick it on my steering column.

Oh, almost forgot...; after the install, my front & rear lights wouldn't turn off, even with the key off the ignition. I simply disconnected & reconnect (reset) my battery, then the lights went normal again.

Oh, almost forgot...; after the install, my front & rear lights wouldn't turn off, even with the key off the ignition. I simply disconnected & reconnect (reset) my battery, then the lights went normal again.

Strange - I almost thought that you hit the parking light switch to the on position (the only switch that will turn any front rear lamps on without the ignition switch turned to on). Several folks who are not familiar to Subes have done this without realizing and then freaked out when they couldn't get their parking lamps to turn out.

BTW - any pics of your gauge installed?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Good point, Subietonic, I did unintentionally hit the parking light switch during the install; then I switched it off afterwards... just can’t remember when I turned it off… If it’s right before the battery reset, you’d be right, it’s just the parking light switch…!

Sure, I’ll post up some pics tomorrow!

You’re right SVXWRX, I’d rather buy a decent gauge in PSI if they were going to put that wrx gauge in our Legacy…

CONGRATS Henkle! :):D

I'm glad everything worked out great for you - and don't worry about how little you "seem" to be in-boost.

Actually, if this is your first turbocharged vehicle, or in case you haven't yet had time to really dive into the deep end of the long-ago posts here on LGT.com, what you're observing is actually quite normal. ;)

I, too, use the boost-gauge -currently, as I have yet to get on the power mods- more to keep me out of trouble (i.e. to stretch my Dollar as far as it will go in terms of gasoline) than anything else.

Great to hear that all went well for ya! :)

-----

PS/BTW - ROFL :lol: I'm a PSI-guy, too. Can't do the Bar/mm Hg conversion fast enough in my head, despite having been a "mathalete" in high-school. :p

Thanks TSi+WRX, I used to drive my brother's Volvo 740 turbo back at late '80s. That gauge was not as "informative" as this one I installed. It only told me when the boost came on and off (plus I could also hear the turbo whine). This one, however, tells me what's going on (changes in pressure) in the manifold relative to my gas pedal depression (not exactly what I thought it would be), which is quite interesting...:)

And... I'm impressed at how responsive the mechanical gauge is... but don't know about that on the electrical gauges... any delays?

Subietonic, here are my pictures:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=252249#post252249

The gauge actually looks nice at daytime, but at night...:confused:

Hey Henkle -

Doh! See, I keep forgetting about "driving stock." :D Yes, I know the delay/"general idea of boost" you speak of, and thanks for reminding me, too.....you see, I am used to those old turbocharged DSMs, and their stock "boost gague" functioned in much the same manner.

As for delays with the electrical system, I think that if there were any, they're too fast for my old eyes to catch -- I haven't noticed any "lag."

I, too, am a mechanical-gauge man - I believe that it's just one less possibility for malfunction. But the ease of install of the NEXUS is part of what got me in the end. :)

Lazy ass, mine. ;)

CRAZY KEN

I have a Defi boost gauge in the cubby..it's 52 mm

• 1 month later...
Okay, I figured out where to run the boost gauge tubing, it isn't long enough. Where can I go to buy some additional length??? Can you do that and splice the two tubes together or should I just get a longer one altogether??? Where can I get this? thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived