LegacyGT.com

Newly stage 2, logs, funny sound

snow05gtRI

Took two logs after my stage 2 parts install with a stage 2 flash. I'm hearing a high pitched flutter sound (not wastegate flutter, but it pulses at the same rate as the wastegate flutter when it comes in) and it is loudest when the engine has some load on it. not even WOT, just cruising on the highway and i give it some gas to accelerate and i hear this high pitched (sorta like a pulsing squeal) going pft pft pft pft pft pft [a mix between that and a high pitched chu chu chu chu chu]........sorry haha its hard to describe. the best thing i can think of to describe it is a similar sound to compressor surge, but it shows up ALL the time, not just when compressor surge would be happening.

looked at boost on my AP and it seems to be steady when WOT. the noise also sort goes away at WOT but it could just be getting covered by engine noise. is there any chance these logs could show any possible cause?

Thanks!

Mods: Cobb Catted DP, Grimmspeed Ported/Polished/Coated Exhaust Manifolds, Grimmspeed Coated Crossover Pipe, Grimmspeed Coated Up Pipe, Borla CBE, AEM CAI, Perrin TMIC

Was 50ish degrees F and had rained earlier. 3rd gear pulls.

Just took a brief look at them...I need to work on my WOT holding. i always feel like i'm not shifting till right before my tach hits the 7k line (so would shift at/after 7k with the 5eat delay) but it seems like i'm doing it earlier... ah well, things arent always the greatest opportunities for logging. I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on this.

romraiderlog_20090329_154105.csv

romraiderlog_20090329_154911.csv

'tis a TA map. Good catch haha.

Did not wrap the crosspipe, but from reading around it does not seem to be the same ticking. This only happens under some form of load (well, most noticeable). I took a video in-car while driving to work but I need to check it out if you can even hear it before I post it up.

Too bad it's raining today. I'll need to check the IC to turbo connection, maybe the O-ring slipped out when it was being put on. Is this an unsafe way to drive? I'll just avoid WOT if that seems like the right thing to do. I'll need to drive it like this for a week or so, I'm going to VT on weds morning and staying till fri, and then a very busy weekend.

the sound starts about 13 sec in, but the microphone on the camera must have some high frequency reject because it only sounds like WG flutter...real quiet. at any rate here's what my car sounds like.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzkcjvQnHls]YouTube - sound check in car[/ame]

and heres another...you can hear it as i get on the throttle. damn camera takes out the high pitch sound from it. ah well...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PxOFpbNCTw]YouTube - sound check 2[/ame]

I don't hear anything??? I stand behind my work Alex, if the IC has to come back off to reposition that POS inlet hose we can do it Thursday evening or on my lunch hour here up in Smithfield tomorrow, or any day this week. Same goes for the evenings, thurs, fri, whatever.

That is why I had you brake rev to build some boost in the shop Sat. When I installed my Perrin, that hose leaked right off the bat. Those worm clamps dont hold very tight either, we may need to replace on or both.

same. yeah the video does not do it justice. I just brought it to DSG today (and I'm a DUMB@$$ and forgot my AP...had to push back the tune to next week) and took their tuner for a ride and he said it is definitely not an up pipe leak...it's not the same whistle as an UP leak and it doesnt really get any louder through RPM, it just gets faster. according to him, he claims its a normal sound. before going for a ride with him I mentioned that it kinda souds like compressor surge. after the ride he seemed to think that it was compressor surge...dunno if it was because I placed that thought in his mind though. i just looked up some videos on compressor surge...and my sound is not when the valve is about to blow off its when i'm going up through RPM. he says it'll probably go away when he tunes it.

you do good work, Paul and i know you'll help me fix it if its actually an issue. this shit happens, I just didnt notice it right off the bat. and according to the guy at DSG it sounds normal to him and safe to tune, it is not a screaming pre-turbo whistle that he was expecting to hear. I'm just paranoid I guess...I loosened, repositioned, and retightened the TB clamp this morning before I went down there but it didn't really do anything, though I'm not sure how much torque those worm gears can take so I dunno if i didnt tighten it enough.

this video around the 40sec mark has sorta what I'm hearing. a fluttering while increasing in RPM, though I never get the "drop" that they get. and I don't need to be WOT to hear it, it happens if i'm just cruising along on the highway and give it a little bit of throttle to accelerate. i was only able to show the guy the sound on some town roads that i could just get into the throttle a little in 2nd gear, wasnt able to sustain it for him.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCj6Spwl1CU&feature=related]YouTube - True Compressor Surge[/ame]

dunno...guess I'm just crazy.

yeah I'd really like someone else with car smarts to take a ride in it before I get it dyno tuned. Even after the guy said it was normal, on my drive in to work today it just SCREAMS not normal at me. I drove with the windows down a little bit and I can hear it from low RPM (2k) and it continues to make the sound all the way through the RPM range (confirmed this when i got on the highway after bringing it to the tuner).

imagine the sound of a belt slipping, that pulsing high pitched squeak. think of that, but much quieter, and will get a little louder when engine under load. it increases in frequency (squeaks per sec) but only up to a point. it almost sounds like it is the turbo itself. but i'm just digging for answers at this point.

gah, i need a second opinion on it...gonna post in the new england forum if someone with car knowledge can go for a quick ride this weekend to see if i'm crazy or not :lol:

met up with GTTuner today to take a look at the car. we put it up on the lift and brake torqued to build some boost and found no leaks. he was under the car while i revved and said he could only hear the noise when he was standing directly under the crosspipe, guess it was the infamous ticking sound. I'm gonna wrap it eventually and see if it dampens the sound at all.

so, it's on like donkey kong for my dyno tune next week.

• 8 months later...

the noise is coming from the very front of the motor only between 1,500 to 2500 rpm with or with out load. even in neutral. Similar to the recirculater valves sound letting off from Very low boost. But the noise does not flutter and does not change pitch. I do have the k&n intake, but i've had that for a year and never heard this. it will give you a head ache after 30 min of driving. the sound is most notable from the front at the belt assembly.. tried using a long screw driver on power steering , ac, and alt brackets and housings to single out noises but no luck... any suggestions. Its an '06 with 75k miles.

Thanks.

Nate

• 1 month later...

Archived