LegacyGT.com

What causes this kind of tire wear? (pics inside)

It turned out to be the Lower Control Arm Bushings. Thanks guys! What happened is that with the worn bushings, the tire would rub against the spring perch, causing the wear.

Wow, and you didn't hear that? That much rubbing should have been pretty constant noise.

It turned out to be the Lower Control Arm Bushings. Thanks guys! What happened is that with the worn bushings, the tire would rub against the spring perch, causing the wear.

hmm. I'm going to have mine checked out. I can hear some strange clunks once in a while.. :mad:

The saga continues!!! I took my car to the dealer and they told me that having large tears and splits in the bushings is normal!?! There is a TSB out that says to do nothing about it. My private mechanic still thinks this is the problem though. Am I SOL from SOA?

Wait what, are they actually tears in the bushings, or are there just slits in the bushings that are always there? I know some of the bushings on the LGT are like this, but I haven't looked at the LCAs to see if there are "slits" in them normally or not.

If not, it's never normal for a bushing to have tears in it. Ask them for the TSB and look it up.

I'm still curious as to how your LCA bushings are making your tire rub. Are you on stock wheels? Did you not hear constant rubbing?

I don't smell rubber burning. Maybe it is allowing the alignment to change when driving? The paper they gave me is actually a "tech tips" subaru newsletter from may 2006. The service rep called it a TSB but I don't think it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Nothing eh? My tires are down to the steel BELTS, and no signs of rubbing any ideas on whats causing this? Im guessing its the alignment as I didnt get it aligned after installing my s-techs (new rims/tires were on order)

http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/images/4r1b2s8qieta80wvj9r.jpg

This is not a rubbing issue this is what is called "cupping" and it occurs from camber and tire pressure. I had this happen to 3 of my toyo tires and 1 of my stock re92's. I have found it to happen at stock height to the rear tires more than the fronts. I haven't noticed it on my khumo's yet now that I'm lowered but as I said before it happened on 3 of the toyo's I used to have on. The belts of the tires break under the stress of the inner belts being over weighted compared to the rest of the tire. They feel and take on all the stress of turns etc so they fail and break apart causing the cupping to occur. If you can prove your car is within stock allignment and camber spec's the tire company will warranty the tire but if its not then you may be able to get a pro-rated rate on a new tire or you'll just be SOL and pay the full amount. My first Toyo that did it Toyo pro-rated me on a new tire and then roughly 15k after the 3 others did the same thing and I just decided to switch tires as it seemed that toyo couldn't make a tire to handle the settings that my car had.

All 4 of my Toyo Proxes 4 are trashed after 20k. Stock suspension on an 05 LGT. The road noise and vibration is horrible. Subaru dealer says alignment is spec, and bearings are ok. The tire dealer blamed alignment and wheel bearings for the tire issues, along with the fact that they didn't rotate the tires every 6k (Subaru did at 7.5k services). At 40% wear, they finally conceeded to warantee and pro-rate the tires for half the price, but only if I purchased the Toyo Versado LX at $160 a pop. Plus mounting and balancing. Plus disposal. Plus valve stems. Plus an alignment. Tonight I ordered a set of Conti Extreme Contacts from Tire Rack.

• 1 year later...
Sorry to bump and old thread but did anyone ever figure out what the issue was...I have the exact same wear on an 08 Spec B...gone thru 3 sets of tires in 40k miles. Dealer says there is nothing wrong with the alignment or the car for that matter. Went thru the stock tires, Pirelli's and toyo proxes.

• 8 months later...
Sorry to bump and old thread but did anyone ever figure out what the issue was...I have the exact same wear on an 08 Spec B...gone thru 3 sets of tires in 40k miles. Dealer says there is nothing wrong with the alignment or the car for that matter. Went thru the stock tires, Pirelli's and toyo proxes.

Yes, my 05 had this exact same thing. I replaced the lower control arm bushings and it fixed the problem.

Archived