LegacyGT.com

Push Button Ignition Systems

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a system that has the ability to convert us to proximity push button start. im just finalizing details with my manufacturer, and would love to know if you are interested in such a system.

i will have 3 flavors available:

proximity keyless entry only

proximity push button start only (if you already have a good alarm)

and a system that does both.

let me know the interest level, and i will see about a group buy (after i become a vendor ofcourse)

(the price will be a LOT LESS than competing systems, such as stardrive)

on my personal system, i am going to look into integrating the STI push button, but japanparts wants a freakin ton for it. ($200)

i have been working on the steering lock on my legacy. Seems that the column needs to be dropped, and the sheer bolts drilled out to remove the ignition. once that i done, i think the steering lock can just be removed. it'll be the hardest part of the install.

i'll well document it for you guys. but the pre-production unit that is coming in will have to be installed in the wife's Baja. my legacy is going through an engine rebuild so i cannot demo it on that.

For those of you that do not want to mess with the ignition switch, you can use the "Cut Key" method, and wire the system up to disable the ignition switch completely if the RFID key is not in range.....

In order to achieve true hands-free operation, the steering column lock needs to be bypassed or disabled. The “Cut-Key” method is an easy and completely reversible way to steering column bypass. Simply use a spare metal key and cut-off the handle part then insert the rest of the key into the key cylinder then turn and leave the key in either ACC or ON position. (Make sure you leave enough key length so you still can turn or remove the key with pliers when inserted into the key cylinder.) I could source the JDM Key-hole cover if needed.

If the system is installed this way, you wouldn’t have to "tap into" your ignition wires; you could just buy a turbo timer harness and use that to preserve your stock wiring. By connecting this directly into the ignition switch side of the harness, therefore making the stock ignition switch useless.

It would just disable the steering lock.

This is the installation method I will recommend. You can remove the lock completely and maintain a working ignition switch, but I cannot recommend it due to liability reasons. (It’s pretty easy, though)

• 2 weeks later...

ok, system is installed and working great.

i have a ton of interest over at NASIOC as well..

here's a short quick and dirty video..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPgFlOM0NY]YouTube- RFID Keyless Entry and Push Button Start[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...

zorro,

The way I understand it and the way it was in my supra to remove the key cylinder and steering wheel lock you just put the key in and turn it to acc or on or somewhere could be different for different vehicles anyway once key has it unlocked there is a little pin you can push down on the back side of the cylinder that allows it to be removed.

It cant be as hard as drilling out like you mentioned as there has to be a reasonable way of replacement in case of damage etc... I didnt mention but figure it goes without saying all dash panels etc.. removed before you are able to push the pin to release the cylinder.

Hope that helps but sounds like you are passed that anyway but sounds better than cut key method especially if you could plug the plastic hole by buying a jdm wheel cover thst doesnt have a slot or maybe wrap it in cloth leather etc.. who knows

• 2 months later...

i have been running this system in the baja for a few months.. works great!

I'll move it to the Legacy when i get the motor done..

i can get the systems from the manufacturer, in small volume..

turns out there wasn't enough committed interest to move forward with a 10-20pc order.. (in fact only 1 guy ordered one, he has an 08 WRX, he bought the jdm keyhole cover and the WRX pushbutton start trim.. i haven't heard back from him on the install)

if anyone is interested, let me know via PM.. I'm not a vendor here, so i cannot quote any pricing in the thread..

Archived