LegacyGT.com

Clear Coat Flaking Away

Has any experienced their clear coat peeling/flaking off?

My bumper, just under both the headlights, and my drivers door, just in front of the mirror. It's coming off all over the place, each time I look at it, more is off.

I went to the dealer and they said "To bad, go get some clear nail polish" But we'll be happy to re-coat it for a price, what's the warranty on paint/clear coat? I thought it was 5yrs.

It's an 05 legacy with 55K on it.

Thanks,

Alan

Check to see if there are any dirt particles/inperfections under the clear on the bumper. If so it was painted. And it being new or used does not really matter. You would be amazed to learn how many brand new cars get painted at the dealership before being sold.

X

---

I bought it used, Carfax showed nothing, but that means very little in Illinois, as it's not required to report in Illinois.

I don't wax as much as I should, i guess i need to do it more.

Does anyone have any tips to fix the flaking? the body shop at the dealership said to use clear nail polish, is there something stronger that you'd recommend?

TIA

I have a spot right at the cowl between the washer gromets that has the clear coat flaking. Bumpers have been painted but the hood is factory, especially up by the windshield. Dealers here are not helpful so I gave up. It about the size of a baseball, get bigger every year.

Just figured bird poop sat there for 31 seconds at one time before I could get to it.

If there is that much coming off you will never get the clear nail polish to blend. Did you buy it private or at a dealer? You may need a good body shop seal it back up.

Peace,

Greg

I also have the same issue with my 05 LGT on the driver side front fender. I removed the excess coat then taped it off and used a clear coat spray can. I also got the same response from Subaru on my clear coat.

Mine is flaking on the driver door. In too spots less than an inch apart from eachother. I'm sure Subaru would do nothing for this. What would be the best way to take care of it myself instead of having it all repainted?

I bought it used, Carfax showed nothing, but that means very little in Illinois, as it's not required to report in Illinois.

I don't wax as much as I should, i guess i need to do it more.

Does anyone have any tips to fix the flaking? the body shop at the dealership said to use clear nail polish, is there something stronger that you'd recommend?

TIA

I would also agree that it has been painted. If you aren't experienced in looking, find someone who is to confirm that it's been painted. It's not too hard to determine if you know what to look for.

Carfax would also not guarantee showing a re-spray. Never know what might have been the reason - maybe just scratches from hitting tumble weeds even could be reason enough to re-spray and it wouldn't show up on a Carfax.

Either way, I think the solution here is going to be having a body shop give you a proper paint job.

Oh, and for all the folks asking about the clearcoat/paint warranty, I'm sure there probably is a 1 yr 12,000 mile warranty against defect, but the 5 yr warranty is only against rust perforation, which basically means that a hole has to rust THROUGH a body panel to be covered. It's a standard warranty in the industry that is completely BS since even if you stripped a car bare to the metal and drove it for 5 years in Minnesota salt covered road winters, you still wouldn't rust THROUGH the panel. (Maybe, but not likely)

We are having the same problem with our 2007 Tribeca. The front end was repainted prior to us buying it and the entire front bumper is flaking. SOA will do nothing, and the Subie dealer is not being very responsive either...

^^^ Find out who did the painting. A lot of dealerships have on-site mobile paint repair people that do the work. needless to say because of the way some managers operate some companies they hire are not that good but cheap.

With clear coat peeling on a front bumper repaint is all because of the bad preparation before painting. If they don;t want to tell you who does the painting at the dealership then speak to someone else. I find that porters and mechanics are always willing to talk and give you lots of information. If the painter is part of a franchise, then a lot of times they have at least a 1 year warranty. In the case of the people with the spots, you can have someone do a spot blend on the clearcoat, but it is not the easiest to do, and it is worse on darker color cars.

GL

X

---

Archived