LegacyGT.com

Meth Logs, car doesnt feel right

wsmith30132

So i got a tune by Tim Bailey last July. The 93 tune went fine but then on to the meth. He told me that my meth wasnt working. So i pulled the TMIC and proved it was fine. After 4 or so more pulls he said it was working ok. I have the HFS-5 with a .8mm jet with 50/50 mix of M5.

Well the meth has never felt as good as the 93 even after i left the tune. Well 2 months ago i finally started logging. The logs look off. When i go on/off then back on the throttle it wont build boost. Also the 3rd gear pull doesnt hit target boost. On the attaced logs it will build boost if i start real low in the rpm. I sent tim a couple emails to no avail. So i called and talked to travis. He told me it was a mechanical issue but him and tim would look at my logs. They never called me back and havnt returned my call. I dont expect a whole lot because of the time frame but a small amount of their time would be appreciated. Can anyone think of a mechanical issue that would affect the meth tune but not the 93? Also if it was a meth issue wouldnt the lack of meth start retarding timing and other things? Im not trying to discredit Tim but rather figure out my issue since they wont give their 2 cents. My 93 map feels awsome, im lost...

3rd gear meth normal boost.csv

3rd gear meth low boost.csv

3rd gear 93.csv

If you're hitting your boost target with your 93 map, and not with your meth map then the turbo related tables (wastegate, dynamics, etc.) must be different between the tunes. Is this the first time you used your meth map? Did it work well before?

You're running pretty rich with meth as well. I know the stock sensor is not that accurate, but you're pegged at 11.02 the entire way. With my wideband and meth, I'm targeting and hitting 12.2 - 12.5.

+1 I am pretty sure he is not running a WB02...that looks like the stock front o2 reading..which is pretty useless under boost.

The wierd thing is the target boost is pulled off the map..so he must have the right map loaded right?

+1 I am pretty sure he is not running a WB02...that looks like the stock front o2 reading..which is pretty useless under boost.

The wierd thing is the target boost is pulled off the map..so he must have the right map loaded right?

You don't really *need* to set a low boost target for economy mode since setting WGDC to 0% will do what you want (limit boost).

It has always ran like this. I ran a coulpe tanks of meth through then switched off to the 93 map untill i could log. I am running 50/50 with M5. During the meth tune the tuner told me that my system wasnt working right. I knew it was because i installed it and looked it over with a fine tooth comb. So we got the car off of the dyno pulled the nozzel out and proved it was working. We got it back on and finally he said he could tell? Is there anything else i should log? Im still learning

Just added two new logs after work with wastegate duty cycle. Just noticed 4th from a low rpm builds boost then if you let off then back on it stays at WG pressure. Is that from the knock? Why is there knock in 4th but not 3rd?

This is beyond my pervue..

Are you sure there are no boost leaks?

As far as I know...if your IAM is at 1, the ECU will not reduce boost or WG. I think there is a leak somewhere...your boost readings are pretty inconsistant.

Are you running the stock BOV?

It would help if you log these items (and only these, unless some suggest otherwise):

Engine Speed

Engine load

Relative manifold pressure

Boost Target

Turbo Dynamics

Knock Sum

WGDC

Total Ignition timing

Throttle plate opening

Mass Airflow (g/sec)

Before you log check your IAM and if at 1 start your WOT log in 3rd gear 2000-redline.

I would do a few runs of the Stage 2 map and a few of the Meth Map.

I just ran both 3rd gear logs through Airboy's spreadsheet, and they are both showing almost identical performance. The last 3rd gear meth log you posted is much better than the earlier one where you didn't come close to your boost target. That being said, your meth map should be running a combination of stronger timing, more boost, leaner AFRs and it doesn't appear to be. Without changing either of these variables, meth is not going to have any significant gains.

As for the knock in the 4th gear pull, you would be in a different area of the timing map. You're running 16psi at 2600 rpms versus 16psi at 3000 while in 3rd gear. That likely puts you in a different load cell that needs a little timing removed.

I just ran both 3rd gear logs through Airboy's spreadsheet, and they are both showing almost identical performance. The last 3rd gear meth log you posted is much better than the earlier one where you didn't come close to your boost target. That being said, your meth map should be running a combination of stronger timing, more boost, leaner AFRs and it doesn't appear to be. Without changing either of these variables, meth is not going to have any significant gains.

As for the knock in the 4th gear pull, you would be in a different area of the timing map. You're running 16psi at 2600 rpms versus 16psi at 3000 while in 3rd gear. That likely puts you in a different load cell that needs a little timing removed.

Sounds like he never got my meth figured out, so he just changed some things to make me think he did. i hope not. All my meth pulls are inconsistant. if im on and off the throttle alot then mash it its like im stuck at WG pressure. But on my 3rd gear meth log i ran it down real low in the rpm, cruised, then mashed it. When i do that it builds boost???

That sounds like a tune issue to me, but maybe someone else could offer something up.

I had a pro tune on my car (I use that term loosely) a few years back and my car did something similar. If I just floored it I would run wastegate pressure. To hit full boost, I had to floor it then come off it quickly and floor it a second time. Not sure what he did to fix it ultimately, but he did after a few calls into Cobb.

I've since given up on Pro Tuners and have self tuned my car since with much better results.

Sorry to hear that and i hope thats not the case with me. If it is believe me i will post it on here so no one else has the same issues. For now i will give him the benafit of the doubt. mine sounds almost the opposite to yours. I have to just floor it to build boost. off and on im at WG. thanks for the help

Archived