LegacyGT.com

Will an Aftermarket HU work with the factory NAV (first post)

lewinbn

Hi everyone. Just became an owner of a 2006 2.5 GT last week. Love the car. And this forum is great. After searching through some topics for just an hour, I was able to turn off that annoying seat belt warning as well as finding some useful wiring diagrams. The one thing I was not able to find (after three hours of searching, my eyes were shot) was the one thing I was looking for.

I'm looking to replace the factory Head Unit with an aftermarket. I would really like to get a few more features out of the stereo (SAT radio, Bluetooth and direct Ipod connection) I previously owned several honda's which made the stereo installation VERY easy. Now, I'm not sure. I went to a couple local shops and the installers were quick to point out that if I go with an aftermarket unit, I'll loose some functionality of the factory Nav. Most importantly, the voice that tells you were to go. I'd really like to keep the factory NAV in working order while getting an aftermarket head unit. Is that possible? If not, I'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy a Double DIN aftermarket NAV headunit and post ANOTHER noob thread asking what sizes would fit and any models that others have used. I appreciate any help and I apologize in advance if this was answered already and I missed it.

Short answer: you really can't replace the OEM head unit with an aftermarket HU where the OEM HU sits. The reason why is the HVAC controls are on the same circuit board as the HU controls. And it's extremely difficult to separate and solder (over 150 points). There was a company here about 16 months ago that did this, and offered it as a kit, but it wasn't cheap. ~$1000 for just the bezel work itself. However they're no longer doing these (not sure if they ever will again).

What you can do, is ditch the OEM NAV, and put a single/dual din HU in the cubby location. If you go with a single din flip out unit, there's a kit from japan parts that makes it look pretty good. Search "cubby din" and you should come up with some threads.

If you purchase an '07-08 radio, it'll plug right in, and it'll give you a SAT connection, and an AUX in. You could direct connect the Satellite (only takes the Subaru "brain"), and use the AUX in for your Ipod.....OR you can use the SAT bus and use the direct Ipod connection (again, only uses the subaru ipod connection), but that means you can't use the SAT input for Sirius/XM.

Ok, maybe that wasn't the short answer........or was it? :lol:

Thank you very much for the useful information. It sounds like I'm going to be replacing the existing factory Nav with an aftermarket. I knew when I went away from Honda that installing a new stereo was going to be difficult. But then again, AWD in Massachusetts winters definitely outweighs having to dance around the stereo and Nav situation. After a few weeks, I'll post the Factory Navigation on the classifieds. Thanks again.

I'll take it. You have PM.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yes, that is from highline, I got it second hand from someone selling a car.

However, I was going to build it myself, I had the plans all in line (they're on this site), and I had a couple of leads from this site on a cheap used radio. While I was browsing for the parts I needed, I happened across that, and said, screw it, I'll take that rather than build it myself.

It can be created.

Also, while I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and wasn't happy with the 3Sixty.2 (and wouldn't have like cleansweep for same reason), There are many forum members who have used them with the stock radio and are quite happy. (NOT a knock on the 3Sixty.2, I use it with the aftermarket head unit, and it rocks, the deficiency is with the stock HU)

It can be created.

I think only 2 people outside of Highline have been able to figure it out, it's a daunting task. Most tend to drop the idea of doing it themselves when they see just how much is involved. lol.

zmarko, still, I'm confused, as there's not much to figure out. It's just solder and rework.

I have a station in my lab where I could complete and bench test the electronics of it, hence why I was going to do that.

/Hardware Engineer

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/IMAG0013.jpg

I have Nav, and that's my aftermarket radio

I'm in MA if you need a hand.

End was there any loss in functionality on the Nav? very nice install. I've seen a couple of dash kits out there to put in a single din HU. Yours looks very nice.

zmarko, still, I'm confused, as there's not much to figure out. It's just solder and rework.

I have a station in my lab where I could complete and bench test the electronics of it, hence why I was going to do that.

/Hardware Engineer

From what the guys at Highline told me (I had Highline kit in my '05 also), it was like 159 solder points, and they're very tiny precise solder points. And they also said that cutting the board was a task in itself. Then you gotta do the physical custom work to the bezel itself. If you can get it done, more power to you....I know it's not something I would be able to do.

lewinbn, the Nav in that has no speaker right now. Since the original radio is in there and hooked up, All I need to do is hook up a speaker, and I have my nav voice back.

I haven't gotten around to hiding a small speaker for that yet.

From what the guys at Highline told me (I had Highline kit in my '05 also), it was like 159 solder points, and they're very tiny precise solder points. And they also said that cutting the board was a task in itself. Then you gotta do the physical custom work to the bezel itself. If you can get it done, more power to you....I know it's not something I would be able to do.

+1

It's a hell of a lot of work to do it right. It takes the right combination of nerd and artist and a lot of patience..

Judging by the comments, this seems to be a several levels above my abilities. Ean611, thank you for your offer to help. I work in Norwood and used to live in Watertown, so I'm sure I'll see you at a meet someday. I think at this point I'll start to research leaving the dash alone, pulling the stock NAV and filling that cubby with an aftermarket that will fit with little or no modification to the dash. Thanks to all for there comments.

Ben

YEP! That and I have been PMing with ean611 who was telling me about the other Kenwood double DIN units tht are directly compatible with the NAV system. I called Kenwood last night and confirmed it. So I think I'll do that route instead of breaking out the plasma cutter! What you did is WAY above my skill level. But if you ever go to install bags or need help with professional wrestling trivia, I'm your man!

Glad to help.

Lotsa stuff we can do with our cars, and frankly, I'm a fan of the "easiest" when given the choice.

Btw, thought about going stage 1? :) (Caution, you may get infected with the bug, and then add another mod, and another...it can be dangerous for your wallet)

Glad to help.

Lotsa stuff we can do with our cars, and frankly, I'm a fan of the "easiest" when given the choice.

Btw, thought about going stage 1? :) (Caution, you may get infected with the bug, and then add another mod, and another...it can be dangerous for your wallet)

I am pretty sure I will never be infected with that particular bug. I have a special inoculation called "a wife". And just to make her case that much stronger, she gave me a second shot a few months ago called "a mortgage". :) I plan on doing the small stuff down the line, exhaust, intake, up and down, but not much more than that!

Archived