LegacyGT.com

215x45x17 or 225x45x17 ?

EvilCamaroSS

What would you go with?

I have decided to order ContiExtremeContacttires and i'm undecided on the size, I have to drive to work even if there is a blizzard, and I also like to have fun in the turns in the summer, so these looked best, but what size will benefit me the most?

215 will cut through snow/ice better. But I personally would want the 225 for the extra rim protection and slightly taller gearing. Actually I've heard the 225/45-17 is closer to actual speed than the stock 215/45-17.

Since you are going to use it year round I would go with 225/45 which will give you a bit more traction in the summer, a bit more rim protection in the winter, better gearing... etc. Of course, these differences will be mostly academic. The most noticeable difference will be the aesthetic... The 225/45 will look better IMO.

For a drastic improvement in all conditions, dedicated summer/winter rubber is still the best bet! ;)

same dilemma with Z1s :) It's funny that I have winters at 225/45/17 wider than stock RE92s which I will be replacing. I am leaning toward 225/45 for dedicated summer set on stock rims.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 1 year later...

I figured I'd bump this with my questions. I'm looking at these sizes. I live in Austin, Texas so snow isn't much of an issue, Ice can be occasionaly in Winter, but that's it. So I was looking at a performance summer tire or a good (if there is such a thing) high performance all-season.

Which size is going to ride better, handle better, etc. and why do you say that? I will be getting aftermarket rims next time around as I want a lighter wheel than the stockers and probably stick with 17x7 size. Saw some nice Enkei's I was thinking of. I just put on the JDM Spec.B Rev.A shocks/springs and bigger swaybars and I'm looking for something to complement this.

I'm thinking about using a 245/45/18 all year round on my Outback.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Can't see a need for a Winter tire in Austin, Texas. Snow is an unusual thing here. Most winters it doesn't snow or not enough to be measurable. But it can get into the 20's for lows. I used to live in Chicago. Winter tires were nice to have there but you could get away with an all-season that was good in the snow.

Summer tires do not like to be driven below ~45F.

And if it snows you may as well take skates or skis.

Krzys

hehe, and here I am with R-compounds in 15F... as long there's no snow or ice, I'll still go out in cold weather on R-comps.

Keefe

Archived