LegacyGT.com

Clutch issues?

executor485

Over the past few days my clutch has been acting really strange. Car has 71k miles on it, and a Spec 2 clutch and LWFW were put in at 46k. Been holding strong so far, but about a week ago in the morning (30F temps, not sure if that mattered) I was in 3rd gear doing 40 and accelerated, never had problems before in the same conditions, but this time the clutch/tranny did the chatter thing like the clutch was slipping and grabbing, or like when you take off from a stoplight without enough throttle and too much clutch and its trying to grab properly. (Hopefully I'm making sense here). Anyways, it did the slippy thing and I kinda freaked, thought maybe it wasnt warm enough or something and maybe its all good. But over the past few days I've tried the same thing, even when I've been driving it for a good while, and the same thing happens. I've tried different gear combo's and it will semi do it in 4th, but never in 1st or 2nd, just in 3rd right at 40mph.

Is the clutch going out, or maybe its not adjusted properly? Comments?

Also, been stage 2 with a gutted DP since 53k miles, just in case that helps.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

By chattering I mean that its slipping and grabbing, violently shaking the car. Its like it wants to grab, but it doesnt have enough to hold onto, or like the flywheel is warped and makes the clutch loose grip under too much acceleration in 3rd, and in 5th it slipped about 200 RPM before fully grabbing and going and that was not even under WOT.

Its almost like the clutch has become too loose and needs to be tightened or something?

You can get an aftermarket oem replacement clutch if you don't want to upgrade to a stage 1 at this time. Exedy and I believe ACT make them for our cars for a real good price. Much better cheaper than buying a new clutch from Subaru directly.

He was already spec stage 2 doubt he's gonna buy another stocker.

Just cause the clutch is aftermarket, does not mean it will last longer. if you beat on it, it will wear out. It all comes down to driving style. I had a spec stag3+ unit and i autox alot with lots of drag launch starts. it lasted about 35k miles before I needed a new, and im only at stage 2.5.

Yea... I was afraid of that :S It was really surprising that it just happened all of the sudden though. It wasnt after a drag or anything of that nature, it just decided that one morning it wanted to go funny on me. :S

Probably be hitting up fredbeans for a spec clutch again :( Quite irritating to say the least.

Yea... I was afraid of that :S It was really surprising that it just happened all of the sudden though. It wasnt after a drag or anything of that nature, it just decided that one morning it wanted to go funny on me. :S

Probably be hitting up fredbeans for a spec clutch again :( Quite irritating to say the least.

Sort of the same for me, my clutch engages really far up in the throw (because it is almost worn out), but one day it seemed to get a lot worse for no good reason. Oh well. I'll be pulling the engine and putting a new one with a bunch of people soon though :)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but higher stage clutches really just mean they have more friction potential, not more capacity to handle slippage/heat build-up.

So essentially, you might require a Stage 2 clutch because you are putting down 350 lb/ft of torque, but that doesn't mean the clutch will put up with excessive slipping any better than a stock clutch.

true. higher stage clutches have higher friction potential but also more clamping force in order to hold more power when fully engaged. some materials can take the abuse of slip launches alot better than other as well. but reguardless of what clutch you get, if you slip it enough, it will wear out eventually. one of the issues of the stock clutch is that the organic material can not hold the power when overheated due to slipping in the same way crappy brake pads glaze over when abused and you experiance brake fade. higher stage clutches have material better designed to take the heat from that kind of abuse and continue to hold. The material also has a better fiction coefficiant, and when combined with a higher clamping force preassure plate, you get a clutch that can hold more power and take the abuse of some repeated drag lauch starts. but that doe not prevent the clutch from wearing out if beat on.

White - I don't beat on my clutches, period. I'd really like to find a clutch that I don't have to worry about, period. I don't have high power goals (beyond, say, 300-350 wtq, which is essentially Stage 2 levels).

I just want great driveability and to never worry about it and hopefully get 100k+ out of it. Any thoughts?

Unless installed impropery or broken in improperly, clutches dont just wear out fast like that. stop and go traffic wears a clutch out as well as launching the car. I dont know how you drive so im in no position to say that it is infact becuase of how you drive.

My clutch is doing fine. Clutches in these cars seem very sensitive (stock) to the slightest slipping, and I want to be prepared when my stock one goes. I figure 60k and I'll be happy.

This is my wife's daily driver. I want it to feel good and last long, so I probe these questions now :)

Archived