LegacyGT.com

Newly installed Invidia HFC DP and SPT exhaust

DMTaylor

That's true. It took me several visits to figure out that one of my own threads had been stickied:redface:. I'll be sure to update my links and add the new ones. Just got home from helping Joeleodee install his Perrin mid-pipe and Prodrive cans. That combo sounds pretty damn good too.
Let's kick this pig!

No pics, you can search for that. I just wanted to say that the combo is, in my opinion, ideal in terms of exhaust sound. No drone at 70 - 80mph and very deep, with no raspiness. It's just unobnoxious and tasteful, as far as aftermarket exhaust systems go.

I read a post a couple days ago saying that the DP would take about 20 minutes to install. What a crock that was! I would say, that if I had to do it again, it would still take over 30 minutes. Just taking the heat shield off to get to the downpipe bolts took 10-12 minutes. Why does the heat shield need so many bolts, really?

Anyway, I really like the quality and fitment of both the Invidia HFC DP and the SPT exhaust. Not many people mod Legacys around here, so I pretty much went into this blind. And for once, it actually worked out.

Dave

Hey when mating the SPT exhaust to the invidia dp, did you have to weld a new flange? I heard the invidia piece uses a 3 in and the spt uses a 2.5in? I ask because I just bought an invidia catless dp and already have a spt exhaust and want to make sure it will fit without having to weld a new flange. And other than the heat shield, what was hard about the dp install?

Both are 3", so no new flange is needed. I'm thinking that a donut gasket would be better than a standard gasket though, but I haven't tested my theory yet.

I would advise getting a set of ratcheting wrenches, specifically a 12mm and 14mm, but if you buy a set, be sure it has 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 and possibly 17. If they are reversable action with a switch, then the 15 degree offset wrenches are useful. If not switchable, be sure to get straight wrenches.

Also, unplug the O2 sensor from the harness and then remove the sensor from the pipe when it is out of the car.

That's all I can think of for now.

Dave

Both are 3", so no new flange is needed. I'm thinking that a donut gasket would be better than a standard gasket though, but I haven't tested my theory yet.

I would advise getting a set of ratcheting wrenches, specifically a 12mm and 14mm, but if you buy a set, be sure it has 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 and possibly 17. If they are reversable action with a switch, then the 15 degree offset wrenches are useful. If not switchable, be sure to get straight wrenches.

Also, unplug the O2 sensor from the harness and then remove the sensor from the pipe when it is out of the car.

That's all I can think of for now.

Dave

Youre better of using the 3" gasket like the original poster. The donut gasket wont even touch the sides on the 3" opening of the DP, its too small.

Uh, you're quoting me and taking about the original poster? I am the original poster!

I know the stock donut gasket won't fit; I would buy a 3".

Dave

Oops, i didnt look up to see who the original poster was. :lol:

Either way in your post it sounded like you were saying a donut gasket would work better, which it wont, it doesnt fit.

The flange on the invidia is a 3" flat flange, its not really setup to accept a donut gasket. Even if you got a 3" donut gasket, which probably isnt cheap btw, I think it would be too big to fit the catback.

Your best bet is to use the 3" flat gasket with a bit of rtv. The other alternative would be to have a muffler shop cut off the end and weld in a 3" flat flange.

If you want to give it a shot go for it, I think it might be a waste of $$$ tho, just trying to save you some time and money.

The flange on the invidia is a 3" flat flange, its not really setup to accept a donut gasket. Even if you got a 3" donut gasket, which probably isnt cheap btw, I think it would be too big to fit the catback.

Your best bet is to use the 3" flat gasket with a bit of rtv. The other alternative would be to have a muffler shop cut off the end and weld in a 3" flat flange.

If you want to give it a shot go for it, I think it might be a waste of $$$ tho, just trying to save you some time and money.

I thought the op already had the do installed to the cbe? And just just but why do you think it would be a waste of money? What's a better alternative? I asked because I have a spt cbe and just bought an invidia dp (just like the op) so I wanna make sure I have everything needed to have it properly installed. I already have the gasket. It was too expensive. What's your definition of expensive? Also what's rtv?

RTV= Room Temperature Vulcanization I doubt RTV would hold up to the heat, but they do come in many flavors, so it's possible.

Thanks for the tip, Kylar. I found the flat flange gasket isn't sealing quite as well as I had hoped. Flat flange to flat flange would be ideal. There's got to be some sort of hi-temp gasket sealant that will work.

Dave

O.K. let's clear some things up. The Invidia has a 3" flange on it and the SPT has a thin rolled metal 3"ish flange. They will bolt up with two shorter straight bolts(usually supplied with DP) and the 3" flat gasket. If you find leaks you can use some COPPER based high temp sealant(I tihnk permatex gold/copper tube).

As for the diameter of the flange; the SPT CBE narrows down to like 2.5"-2.75" right after the flange. This is to accomidate the stock DP's doughnut and springbolt setup. People have chosen to have that flange and bottleneck removed and a 3" pipe and hard plate 3" flange installed to make it 3" straight through and stronger.

Let's kick this pig!

O.K. let's clear some things up. The Invidia has a 3" flange on it and the SPT has a thin rolled metal 3"ish flange. They will bolt up with two shorter straight bolts(usually supplied with DP) and the 3" flat gasket. If you find leaks you can use some COPPER based high temp sealant(I tihnk permatex gold/copper tube).

As for the diameter of the flange; the SPT CBE narrows down to like 2.5"-2.75" right after the flange. This is to accomidate the stock DP's doughnut and springbolt setup. People have chosen to have that flange and bottleneck removed and a 3" pipe and hard plate 3" flange installed to make it 3" straight through and stronger.

Yep exactly, thanks for helping clarify.

Also the high temp RTV works fine as well, that far down the exhaust doesnt get hot enough to mess with it.

Ya, the copper or hi-temp should be fine post-cat. I have a warped turbo end flange on my current downpipe and have to use a little copper sealant to get it fume tight. Don't smell exhaust anymore, but the person behind me smells burning gakset maker when I open it up and the turbo heats up.

Joeleodee was behind me the other day while I was getting up to speed on the highway and he calls me saying "dude your car really smells". It's not bad while driving normal, but it really does smell like burning plastic when that turbo gets real hot. That's alright I've got a new DP sitting here waiting to go on with the new turbo on the 22nd:icon_chee.

Let's kick this pig!

Ya, the copper or hi-temp should be fine post-cat. I have a warped turbo end flange on my current downpipe and have to use a little copper sealant to get it fume tight. Don't smell exhaust anymore, but the person behind me smells burning gakset maker when I open it up and the turbo heats up.

Joeleodee was behind me the other day while I was getting up to speed on the highway and he calls me saying "dude your car really smells". It's not bad while driving normal, but it really does smell like burning plastic when that turbo gets real hot. That's alright I've got a new DP sitting here waiting to go on with the new turbo on the 22nd:icon_chee.

Which dp do you have?

Also, is there a way to fix that smell? From what I've heard, you will need an adapter of sorts for this to fit 100% correct? And if so, what is the best way to fix this? Change the flange on the dp or on the cbe? I ask because I just got my invidia dp and will be putting it in monday and want to make sure this install goes as smoothly as possible. I chose the invidia piece because I've it's a quality piece, but when purchasing, I didn't realize it wouldn't fit 100% correctly...So I'm trying to make sure I install it correctly...and would like to avoid as much "smell" as possible.

just weld it all together. you will not have any leaks. HA ha ha ha

That's not smart:cool:

What happens when you want to change it or take it off...it'll make it harder to resell and then if you replace, you will have ruined the flange and have to weld new ones....it could be good, but I wouldn't want to do that because costs to fix that will increase do the road if you ever want to change the dp/take the dp off...especially if you ever trade the car. The dp is worth some money, so if I ever trade the car, I will want to take it off, put the stocker back on and sell the aftermarket one.

But I think you were joking yeah?

• 1 month later...

*bump* Now I'm confused:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-940/SPT-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

The description says "This system includes a 3-inch intermediate pipe, 3-inch rear y-pipe that splits to two 2-1/4 inch polished pipes and two polished rear mufflers with SPT engraved tips."

Is that wrong? How can it be a 3" intermediate and y-pipe if it narrows immediately to 2.5-2.75"? Does it narrow down immediately after the flange and then widen back up or something?

How can it be a 3" intermediate and y-pipe if it narrows immediately to 2.5-2.75"? Does it narrow down immediately after the flange and then widen back up or something?

I'd go out and measure it exactly for ya, but it's kinda pouring right now, perhaps tomorrow.

Save yourself some trouble and do it right...

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/elite-awd-down-pipe-stocktapered-cat-back-adapter-p-3911.html

I'm was going to install my Invidia DP to my stock CBE this weekend, but my subaru mechanic and I decided on avoiding any potential leaking issues. So my options were a Cobb DP with the donut flange OR an aftermarket exhaust (which i didn't like , since i wanted to keep things quiet). So Jeremy at Fred Beans (bless his heart) steered me towards eliteawd.com and their adapter. I bought it right away, and planning on doing the install next weekend. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

I'd go out and measure it exactly for ya, but it's kinda pouring right now, perhaps tomorrow.

Hehe, you don't have to do that. I don't need exact measurements or anything. I just want to know if that's the case (that it narrows down) again. Makes that description on the site sort of misleading you know?

So Jeremy at Fred Beans (bless his heart) steered me towards eliteawd.com and their adapter.

+1 for Jeremy at Fred Bean. I took the time to drive down there on Saturday to check out some rims and test drive a Leggy on Cobb springs. I ended up talking to him for like 2 hours, he's a really nice guy and extremely knowledgeable.

Archived