LegacyGT.com

Advice-V52 upgrade or Evo

OK - Pearl has 72K on the stock turbo and about 40K of those are at stage 2 with Perrin TMIC, UP, DP. She has lots of suspension mods (RSB, Ions, Bilstein HDs) and has a nice balance of comfort and handling for me - and I'm 56. She has done well for me. Dynoed at 238/284.

I've considered upgrading the turbo and injectors (VF52, 650cc) but am worried about longevity. If I do that, I feel locked in to at least 125K and I've never had a car that long (my Talon Tsi came close to 100K). I make a weekly commute of 160 miles each way - mostly highway - and don't want problems on the road - or much more noise.

I saw an 08 EVO GSR at a car show for 29,900. With AP stage 1 it will do about 300whp/300tq (http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3942).

I'm leaning toward the upgrade on Pearl though I know she will not come near the power level of the EVO (DON'T try to convince me otherwise) - though I am attracted to the EVO because of price, power and I assume reliability on the road as a new car. However, I suspect I will not be happy with the interior and am especially concerned about the ride comfort (though I read that the X is more comfortable than previous EVOs, I lived with an 06 STI for two months before trading it - it killed my back).

I may test drive an EVO GSR next week (though an MR may be a bit more comfortable, I am not willing to pay the extra money).

OK - tell me that I could not live with an EVO and that I should spend the money on Pearl and in two years get a 335xi or something like it (I NEED AWD). Please...tell me...NOT TO GET AN EVO....

Thanks guys.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

like i always say in the LGT vs evo threads..

there is a reason why you bought the LGT over the evo in the first place. if that reason is still valid today then this is a non issue.

i mean... they're very very different cars. its not like a granny smith apple versus a fuji. this is apples and oranges.

car for sale. PM me!

2011 will be an interesting year. This is when the new CAFE regs kick in and I think you'll see a lot of downsizing in car engines/power that 2011 model year. I wonder if BMW will be able to keep the TT I6 in compact cars, without passing on the heavy CAFE penalty to consumers.

FWIW, from what I've heard, the EVO isn't a friendly long commute/highway car. However, ride quality is a subjective and personal thing. Although, if the STI was to much for you to handle, I don't think you'll find the EVO any better. Also, the EVO has a certain qualities that attracts the wrong type of attention. Inteior quality isn't as nice at the LGT....

Hmm, all the girls that have been in the car when i was never stopped rubbing the seats and saying these are soo nice. my girlfriend really liked them over her evo 9, and driving that car almost made her want another. Until i said listen you better get a second job because we dont need a 500 dollar a month car payment on top of what we already have.

Also the new evo doesnt scream ricer as much as the old for sure. I dont think it looks that much more aggressive than a 09 spec b. The spoiler has calmed down quite a bit and you can even get it with a low rise spoiler, the exhaust has 2 tips now the front end looks likes a scion on steroids and the rear doesnt scream sports sedan imo. In fact the rear reminds me of the rsx

Yes and like i said you can get a low rise spoiler on the new evo. Infact you need to get one with the sight, sound and spoiler package to get the big one on the new evo x gsr.

I agree that they do hold you in place well and that place is comfy imo. But they limit the variety of sitting in some ways aswell, there we are agreed.

As for the interior i thought the evo had it all down except for the huge looking dash. If you start on the left all looks great until you get the the radio and then move to the passenger dash. It just keeps getting uglier after you leave the driver seat and move your view to the center and passenger dash.

To the op, its up to you what you want. If you havent even driven a evo x yet then thats your first step. Go drive the car for a hour or 2 and if you have the money to get one and you want one then get it. I would say the 06 STI interior is far sub par compared to the evo x. Its like comparing a 08 STI to a 07 or earlier evo, the pre 08 STIs and Evos, were made to look good and go fast the interiors were obviously less than impressive. The 08s are completely new inside. And im sure your lgt with a vf52 and 650cc injectors would make more power than a stock evo x. As my stage 2 auto lgt was right on with his evo x, infact i would say my car felt better low end for sure.

I don't think Canada gets the low rise spoiler option. We only get a few packages to choose from in Canada. Also, interior plastic parts aren't as nice as the LGT.

IIRC, Mitsubishi is skipping the 2009 model year for the EVO. I think they have a 1000 unsold 2008 EVO's available and mitsu feels these are enough cars to fufill demand until the 2010 model rolls out. Apparently, the 2010 model will be getting some minor tweaks.

The 08 Evo's are much nicer for ride comfort. The LGT isn't actually that much better of a ride. Go for a spin and see how much you like it.

The '08 EVO doesn't ride as nice as my bilstein equipped spec. B but IMO ride is a subjective/personal attribute to a lot of drivers.

Yes, i see alot of 08 Evos and STIs and the dealers are having great deals to get them moved. 8k off msrp and 0% financing is a hard offer for some not to accept. 08 STIs with under 100miles going for 28k and the same goes for the evo xs. Thats basically first year depreciation taken care of by the dealer

I thought the ride was quite nice on the gsr, not as comfy as my lgt but mines not a spec b either.

Well, the ride is my biggest concern - both comfort and noise and I will probably test drive one next week to gauge it against Pearl. I actually like the exterior looks - the spoiler is subdued and pictures of the white ones I've seen actually remind me a bit of Pearl (the rally red is very nice as well and the ones in stock that I have seen are red and black; the latter is the one I will test drive). I do not think I will be happy with the interior as I have gotten use to Pearl's leather, sunroof, heated seats, etc.

As for power, the Evo with just the off the shelf stage 1 map would most probably blow Pearl away even with a VF-52, injectors and tune...and it is that cheap and easy power upgrade and the exterior looks that attract me to the car.

And of course, the sales tax can be written off ;)

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

As for power, the Evo with just the off the shelf stage 1 map would most probably blow Pearl away even with a VF-52, injectors and tune...and it is that cheap and easy power upgrade and the exterior looks that attract me to the car.

How is a heavier car(EVO GSR) with similar horse power(custom stage 2), blow away the lighter LGT with VF-52, injectors and a tune?

BTW - the power gains that cobb reports on there website might not be what you experience. Therefore, be willing to adjust your expectations, if you get an EVO. I did some digging around after what you posted.

EVO X stock with Cobb Stage 1 map applied to stock EVO X, dynos at 279 WHP & 275 WTQ on Cobb's own dyno:

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/photos/444913881_hJtGD-XL.jpg

Which make the power claims on Cobb's webpage seem a bit optimistic on a completely stock car. However, dyno results do vary from car to car and conditions etc.

Looks like only a 10-15 WHP difference. WTQ is off by 25-30 WTQ!

http://www.cobbtuning.com/images_products/4323.jpg

Here is a EVO X custom stage 2 map tuned and tested at Cobb.

Power Mods:

AEM Intake

UR o2 housing

UR Ceramic HFC

UR dual exhaust

Cobb boost pill modification (removal?)

Correction factor: applied (something like .94xx because it was around 45* and 85% humidity).

Plus, tuned for 93 octane...

http://mpghead.com/evo/dyno_tune.jpg

The above dynos were all on Cobb's dyno.

The above dynos and infomation are from here:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-dyno-tuning-results/396649-custom-ap-stage-2-cobb-tuning.html

Like i said, both the lgt and evo x are almost 3500lbs, both are awd 5 speed so its up to power and tires.

Completely agree...

I was just pointing out that another car had been tested with Cobb stage 1 map and it doesn't match Cobb's advertised, expected and ideal stage 1 map power. Even on Cobb's own dyno!:lol:

When tested on Cobb's dyno, it took a custom stage 2 map and mods, to get the power that Cobb advertises as stage 1 map power.

So its says a stage 2 evo is a 300whp and 338wtrq, a vf52 turbo with 650cc inj and supporting mods should be able to do that, right?

Yep, a VF-52 should be able to put down similar number to STI turbo equipped cars. Therefore, if fueling isn't an issue, I would expect similar type of power as the above custom stage 2 EVO. With the LGT being 100-150 lbs lighter, I don't think it would be getting blown away.

Fair enough comment about adjusting expectations based on Cobb's advertising. I was very disappointed with Pearl's stage 2 dyno based upon the expectations I had from their website - though I have NEVER been dissapointed with her performance gains in real world driving - and going stage 2 with her was one of the best mod decisions I made. They are only numbers after all.

OK - reaction to this:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/evox_subzero.htm

Here is the independent testing:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=125372

Not that I would go that route but it does suggest the potential the car has with just a tune.

Do you think Pearl could do a 12 second 1/4 with a VF 52 and injectors?

07 BMW 335xi

Camber - I may be wrong but the dyno sheet you list is from a Cobb Tuning in TX. The Cobb that sells the AP is in UT :

COBB Tuning

Attn: Service Dept.

Ticket #: ______

3362 West 1820 South

Salt Lake City, UT 84104

So I don't think it is the same Cobb or dyno but perhaps I am mistaken.

Sorry if I am missing something here.

07 BMW 335xi

Archived