LegacyGT.com

Ahh the frickin dent!!!

So I had my car parked out at school today and when I got out of class I had a dent the size of a golf ball in my driver door. I've heard some stories about using a blow dryer and a can of air (upside down) and it would remove it. I got quoted $135 to remove it and quite frankly that's a bit too much. I don't think this would damage the car. Any input would be great...

Interesting stuff...lol I don't see how I could damage anything by heating the dent with a hair blower then spraying CO2 on it...

hell, give it a try then and post some pics:lol:

I absolutely hate parking on campus!

What lot were you in, Lower Stadium?

I was in the Bowman-Oddy parking lot. I always park on the full-size car side instead of the compact-car side. Pisses me off though. No one pays any attention...I think I'm gonna be doing this tomorrow. I'm gonna take a nice and slow prayer tonight asking God not to allow me to mess this up...:lol:

Interesting stuff...lol I don't see how I could damage anything by heating the dent with a hair blower then spraying CO2 on it...

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong? You're only planning on applying about a 200 degree change in temperature very rapidly to your paint. I can't see anything wrong with that.

Never mind that even if you apply fresh paint at below 70 degrees that it gets all spider-webby and weird.

Also, if it were as easy as just heating it a bit and then chilling it, do you really think that PDR guys would get paid $135 for 20 minutes to properly work a dent? :icon_roll

Wow. Both of my cars suffer from catastrophic parking lot dents. Of course I was the idiot who decided to buy two cars from Boston. Stupid dirt that masks all dents and scratches.

I would love to see how this works out. I got the as seen on tv "pop's a dent" for Christmas. I still have yet to try it out. Anyone ever try it?

Leave it to a professional PDR guy. I've been using the same guy for 10 years and he's a magician.

I was able to get on to his "100 bucks for the first dent, plus 5 bucks for every other dent after that" plan after I used him a couple times.

One time I used a competitor who took out 13 dents in my old Acura and matched price at 165.00 cash. Sadly, he went out of business shortly afterward...

Shop around and get guys bidding on your business.

Hey, you know what? That Ding King that Billy mays sells... I have one, and I used it to pull a dent out of the door of my legacy. It worked, but with 2 caveats:

1) I had to go through the glue/pull cycle about 10 times - it wouldn't out first time. And getting the cooled glue off the puller and the door is a pain, scraping it off with a plastic scraper. Probably took a couple hours total.

2) It actually pulled the metal up HIGHER and created a small convex dent. There is a soft platsic 'drift' (looks like a comically large wax crayon) that comes with it for tapping the metal back down. I chose to live with the slightly raised dent because I truly don't notice it unless I'm looking for it, and I was too nervous to start hammering on the door even with a platic drift. I quit while I was ahead, and I'm happy with the result.

I would never use the heat/chill technique personally, and I've sprayed entire cars with professional equipment in my own workshop... You ever see the episode of monster garage where the guy tried heat/chill the roof of a car with a oxy torch and a wet towel? They wound up having to bondo half the roof when the small dent eventually turned into a couple square feet of rippled metal. If you try, then just don't let it get away from you. You ever see "Deal or No Deal"? Don't be one of those contestants who keeps at it until he's left with $5.

^^^^^

Sounds like a lot of hassle to save a buck or two. Let a pro do it for you that gaurantees his work.

Most guys will be up front with you at the beginning if they think they can get it completely out and fixed, or a percentage.

I had one guy that wasn't happy with a dent that he fixed on my old car, he wanted to give me a discount. For the life of me it looked absolutely perfect, even in direct sunlight with reflections. I could not even see a mark where the dent might have been. I paid him full price because he did such a good job.

Don't even think about trying that crap....a local TV show that tests products "on air" tried it for their show...CRAP!!!! And if Billy May likes it....you know it is junk :(

Why does my 8 month old Leggy have more dents in the door than my Wife's 7 year old minivan?

Probably has something to do with how much you drive and where you usully park. Or it could be because everyone hates you! (just kidding!)

Back to matters at hand, the ding king guy is probably just going to attempt to tap and smooth the dent from the inside out. You could take off the door panel and try this yourself. The end of a broomstick might do the trick, or you could try to find someone who could lend you their hammer and dolly tools.

We have a PDR guy at our dealer he charges 80-100 dollars depending on how many dents and there location, he did an exellent job on my subaru and a even better job on the berma bright on my discovery II. They can get dents out or bends even, I was impressed.

Archived