LegacyGT.com

What is a good subwoofer for a bridgeable 2x100 watt Blaupunkt amplifier?

hutru01

I recently sold the oem subwoofer in my wagon. It just wasn't what I was looking for in terms of the bass. I like a little bit more of a thump.

I am going to go the LOC route and just buy a 10 inch subwoofer in a sealed box that will be powered by this 2x100 watt Blaupunkt amplifier that is bridgeable.

Since I have 200 watts of total power, I am thinking that a subwoofer with 250 RMS would be sufficient. I am no expert so that is why I am seeking advice in the audio thread. I am pretty unfamilir with ohms impedance as well.

I know I don't want a sub that would be underpowered such as a JL audio w6, but what do you guys think I should go with? Any advice/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

200W Max power or 200W RMS power? You want to make sure you come close to matching the max power of both the subs and amp. Some amps will have lime 400W Max and only 125W RMS.

IIRC, they amp is 75 RMS per channel. Therefore bridged it would be 150 RMS. So would a 200 RMS sub be too much? I don't want to blow the sub, nor do I want the amp to overheat. I blew a cerwin vega years ago with this amp.

Ok, so I found the specs of my amplifier.

Blaupunkt Velocity V250

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Blaupunkt_Velocity_V250/

RMS Ratings

2 x 50W @ 4 ohms (0.1% THD)

2 x 75W @ 2 ohms (0.1% THD)

2 x 100W @ 1 ohm

1 x 150W @ 4 ohms bridged

1 x 200W @ 2 ohms bridged

Subwoofer choice

JL Audio 12W1v2-4

Specs

Power Handling (continuous) RMS: 150W

Free Air Resonance (Fs) : 23.68 Hz

Electrical "Q" (Qes) : 0.443

Mechanical "Q" (Qms) : 6.465

Total Speaker "Q" (Qts) : 0.414

Equivalent Compliance (Vas) : 3.739 cu. ft. (105.81 litres)

One-Way, Linear Excursion (Xmax) : 0.375 in (9.5 mm)

Efficiency (1W/1m) : 86.81 dB SPL

Effective Piston Area (Sd) : 81.392 sq. in. (0.0525 sq. m.)

DC Resistance (Re) : 4.104 ohm

Nominal Impedance : 4 ohm

Nominal Diameter : 12 in (300 mm)

Overall Diameter : 12.5 in (317.5 mm)

Mounting Depth : 5.09 in (130 mm)

Mounting Hole Diameter : 11.0625 in (281 mm)

I am thinking this is the best choice since JL Audio makes quality products and both the amp (bridged at 4 ohms) and subwoofer (4ohms) run up to 150 RMS.

As for the box, I will probably just do a ported box since the majority of the music I listen to is hip hop and techno. Also, being that I have a wagon, I have quite a bit of airspace to work with as opposed to an enclosed trunk.

Does this sound about right?

Yeah I knew about the JL audio stealthbox, Wicked Cas box, and spare tire well box. I am more interested in getting the right box for the right sound, not too worried about space in the back.

Thanks for the wiring info though that will come in handy when I am installing. :-)

You could do a 12w1v2

JL Makes great products, but have you considered some other alternatives?

There are subs out there that will do similar performance for a fraction of JL's price tag.

I would consider a

12" Boston G2 DVC 4 ohm

12" Infinity Kappa Perfect DVC 4 ohm

12" RE RE or RE SR

12" Image Dynamics 13ov2

JL AUDIO 12W1V2

Our Price: $85.50 <- found here

INFINITY PERFECT12d VQ

Our Price: $164.64 <- found here

Boston Acoustics G2 G2124 Car subwoofer

Image Dynamics ID8V.3-D2

Our Price: $119.99 <- Found here

While the other subs you have mentioned are probably quality products, they aren't at a fraction of the cost of JL Audio as you can see. :rolleyes:

I have owned 2 JL subs before, a JL 10W0v1 and a 10W6v2. They both sounded awesome and I can't really go wrong with the JL.

You could do a 12w1v2

JL Makes great products, but have you considered some other alternatives?

There are subs out there that will do similar performance for a fraction of JL's price tag.

I would consider a

12" Boston G2 DVC 4 ohm

12" Infinity Kappa Perfect DVC 4 ohm

12" RE RE or RE SR

12" Image Dynamics 13ov2

I plan on using 4 gauge power wire because I don't want to have to run more wire down the road when I plan on adding a cleansweep and components and what not.

Will 4 gauge be enough if I want to add another amp with components in the front doors. and coaxials in the rear doors? I used 0 gauge in my last car with a similar setup and it was more than enough.

JL AUDIO 12W1V2

Our Price: $85.50 <- found here

INFINITY PERFECT12d VQ Not the DVQ, That one is about twice as much as the regular version.

Our Price: $164.64 <- found here

Boston Acoustics G2 G2124 Car subwoofer

Image Dynamics ID8V.3-D2

Our Price: $119.99 <- Found here

While the other subs you have mentioned are probably quality products, they aren't at a fraction of the cost of JL Audio as you can see. :rolleyes:

I have owned 2 JL subs before, a JL 10W0v1 and a 10W6v2. They both sounded awesome and I can't really go wrong with the JL.

K I'll do a little better comparison, since i get better prices then what you guys get ;)

JL 12w1v2 ($109.99 ea)

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2551

RE RE 12 ($79.99 ea)

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4905

Pioneer Premier 12 ($79.99 ea)

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5168

Memphis PR 12 ($79.99ea)

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5650

Boston G1 12 (99.99 ea)

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4254

Pioneer Premier 12 v2 (99.99 ea)

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7509

The RE RE's will sound great off 350-400 RMS. Won't take much more then 500W on the pair. Ported is recomended.

Pioneer Premier v1s will handle up too 500 RMS ea. So if you want to expand later on, these will get pretty loud, and handle 1kw on the pair.

Memphis will go a lot better in a ported enclosure with 500-600 RMS on the pair.

Boston g1's will sound really clean and handle about 150-250 ea. They do pretty good in a sealed enclosure.

These new premiers will handle about 600 RMS ea. So if you want to do 1.2 kw later on, these are then ones that can do it. A pair of these on 1200W will be pretty darn loud.

^ Thanls for the comparisons. I do mention that I am only looking for one sub as opposed to 2. Seeing as I have a wagon, one 12 inch sub in a ported box will be plenty enough bass for my listening preference. I am not looking to annoy others and enter competitions. :lol:

I plan on using 4 gauge power wire because I don't want to have to run more wire down the road when I plan on adding a cleansweep and components and what not.

Will 4 gauge be enough if I want to add another amp with components in the front doors. and coaxials in the rear doors? I used 0 gauge in my last car with a similar setup and it was more than enough.

4 gauge wire is good up to 85A. Now a 200W unit pulls an average of 17A. if your comps pull about the same you should be good.

I run a 1000W unit. and that pulls 85A, and i use 0 gauge to be on the safe side.

• 3 weeks later...
I had two of those amps in my last car! In case you haven't already figured out, most of them were under-rated in terms of power - when i tested my 2 v250s at a 2ohm load they were closer to 250 watts rather then the 200 advertised. Had each one pushing a 10" mtx 8000 in ported boxes and it was LOUD - takes me back to high school:lol:

I personally prefer the sound of JL subs. Just go with the 12w1 and call it a day. I'm sending a 150 watt channel to a sealed 12w1v2 and it is more than enough for anyone running under 100 watts to each door. Ported, if built properly to the specs of the sub, will be louder and hit harder - it just won't be quite as accurate.

I actually may be swapping for a 12w3v2 that I'll double the power to (300). Note that I don't NEED anything more than this 12w1, it keeps up with the kicks fine. I just would like the accuracy a w3 adds and have an extra channel I'm not using. Any interest in a 12w1 in a sealed box that fits perfectly in a sedan (i know i know) behind the back seats?

Archived