LegacyGT.com

what is the problem with stg 2 and the factory TMIC

RIPjeep2002

When running stage 2 the turbo will be running more boost than stock. The increase will tend to separate the endtanks from the OEM TMIC.

Problem is that lots of members running the stock TMIC are running into this problem. Seems to be more of a matter of when rather than if you'll run into the problem with such a setup.

The endtanks are the black plastic parts on the end.

As for how long they last ..... all depends. I haven't experienced the problem firsthand as I swapped to a Perrin TMIC at the same time as I flashed to stage 2.

Think that members have experienced varying times before endtanks separate. I'd expect how hard you drive the car (and therefore how often you are at max boost) will have an impact on the timing.

If you are going to run the OEM TMIC just make sure to check it regularly.

If you look at your intercooler, there is metal in the middle as the heat transfer surface, then there are plastic parts crimped to each side to connect the heat exchanger to the turbo and to the engine intake. Overall they are like 1/3 of the volume of the intercooler. The metal heat exchanger has little metal tabs that bend over the plastic parts to hold them together. When you put more pressure in there, the tabs can't hold up anymore, and the plastic tanks come apart from the heat exchanger. If you buy a Perrin or AVO unit, the endtanks are metal and are welded to the heat exchanger.

If you talk to HAMMERDOWN, he put a huge metal strap (like a ziptie sort of) around the whole thing to hold it together. Ask him about how it's working, I haven't talked to him in awhile. Also, some people have JB-Weld'ed the endtanks on, that seems to work ok too.

As for how long, that depends on the tune, how often you see full boost, climate where you live, etc.

Thanks. I think after reading this thread and the others posted in this one, I am going to wait till the spring and get a Perrin TMIC at the same time as my COBB TBE

You should be fine to run stage 2 w/o the tmic....just consider getting one eventually.

Rehab is for quitters.

I have seen stock LGT's blow out end tanks.

Remove the cover off the engine. Look where the aluminum core meets the plastic side tanks. There are metal tabs that are crimped around the plastic tanks. That is where you apply JB weld. I can post a pic tomorrow if U like.

Just barely JB welded the sucker. I had a tab or two that needed to be put back in place using some pliers (this was after 1.5 years of OTS cobb stg 2).

Make sure that the epoxy gets some body to it before you apply or else you will be flipping the damn intercooler often due to the stuff running very slowly! I did the all the tabs too (2 bottles for 10 bucks at any hardware store).

Now I baby it less and get into boost more often...probably shouldnt though seeing as even JB weld seems to let go after time.

Wow, Do you baby it and occasionally get into it ronburgandy21? Do you JB weld or do anything to reinforce it?

No reinforcement on the TMIC at all. I would like to think that I don't baby it, but I probably do. I drive spirited most of the time in the car. Of course it is just a daily driver mostly to and from work and on weekends.

^^ Previous turbo vehicle with a similar IC; after I had it tuned up the IC blew 1,000 miles from home.

Spent the next two days camped out in a strange town and having an aftermarket replacement shipped overnight. Inconvenient and expensive.

It depends on your circumstances and when/where the failure happens.

Archived