LegacyGT.com

Custom exhaust or not?

Smada

So a new shop opened up and I've been talking to the owner about getting either a custom turbo-back or just up/downpipes made. I've heard good things about his work and it seems pretty reasonable. Is it better to get custom work done or just buy a pre-fabbed up and downpipe?

Cat-backs are definitely cheaper to go custom. I'm getting ready to do mine, and it will be less than $400 for 3" into 2x 2 1/2" w/ quality mufflers. For the downpipe, and especially the uppipe, I would go with a proven manufacturer...

Is there anything wrong with the stock mufflers? Meaning, will new mufflers increase performance, or is it a sound/looks thing?

He was thinking around $800 for the complete turboback (N1 mufflers) but would be more depending on better mufflers and depending on cost of hi-flow cat. But it would be done with all stainless steel, mig and tig welded, mandrel bends. But if the mufflers don't do much besides sound, I'd rather just do the up/downs and ecu management.

I don't know how N1's sounds on a boxer engine but on any other car that I've come across that had a N1 (single or dual, tuned or just bolted on, NA or FI), they all were ear-deafening loud. ... give yourself a pounding migraine loud.

Me personally, I'm going to wait until people around my area do their exhausts. Just ask them for a ride with and without the windows down. Obviously no radio on and see what you like. One guy had an N1, one person had a Thermal R&D and another person had a Greddy. That's how I picked my exhaust on my last car.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I believe the stock mufflers are a huge restriction. I run mine with spacers and even that little bit makes the car more powerful.

I do not think that the stock mufflers present much of a restriction. It seems that the people here who have swapped cat-backs have not noted any signifigant performance increases. The dynos of the stage 1 cars, and those with only up/down/EM seem very strong. This would indicate to me that the stock catback is not a big bottleneck at this point. So, at reasonable power levels, it might be more of a sound/looks thing.

Having said all that, I'm a big proponent of custom exhausts. I just won an Invidia downpipe on Ebay, and will be building my custom system in the next couple weeks. Going to go with Magnaflow mufflers, a Dynomax resonator and 3" metallic substrate cat.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I feel that the stock y pipe is a good design- the mufflers are not only heavy, but also very restrictive- take them off and you'll see what I mean.

I'm going to be using a 3" pipe w/ a Dynomax resonator to Spintech mufflers. I've used the Spintechs before with good results, and they aren't overly loud. Looking at the diameter of the stock catback, I'm not sure how it couldn't be a restriction...

I feel that the stock y pipe is a good design- the mufflers are not only heavy, but also very restrictive- take them off and you'll see what I mean.

I actually don't like the stock y-pipe. While dual 2" provides enough area, the y-pipe itself is a little ugly. The stock mufflers are definately huge and heavy, but I have looked at them and inside them. There is an obvious turn from the inlet to the body of the muffler, but the rest looks nice and straight-through. As neither you nor I have cut one up to see for sure, I don't think their either of us can say for sure if the design is inherently restrictive or not.

Any muffler shop should be able to build it. A shop w/ mandrel bending equipment will make nicer bends...

Shops with mandrel bending equipement are few and far between. If there isn't one local to you that is reasonably priced you can also buy mandrel bent U or J bends and have the shop section them and weld them together to form the right shapes.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Just take the mufflers off, drive to the shop and ask them to make what you want- saves the expense of them removing it. I plan on making an appointment, and doing it this way- I'll be in there a little longer though because I need them to make the tips exit below the OB XT bumper.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Jedi, what do you mean by "Spacers" in your exhaust?

Between the muffler and the flange on the exhaust, I have some nylon washers- it just leaves a gap, making the car a little louder. I put them in , take them off for fun- until I can figure out what I want to do , this is the extent of modding the rear section of the exhaust for me.

Between the muffler and the flange on the exhaust, I have some nylon washers- it just leaves a gap, making the car a little louder. I put them in , take them off for fun- until I can figure out what I want to do , this is the extent of modding the rear section of the exhaust for me.

aka the GBE, or the "ghetto-back-exhaust" :lol:

Not that OB owners have much choice right now :(

So basically you're just introducing an exhaust leak? :lol:

Sorry, but that is straight retarded. I remeber messing around with something like that on a friend's car about 10-12 years ago when I was in my teenaged years, but even then we just did it as a joke. Ran it around town for a few hours, got tired of the noise, and put it back together right.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Sorry, but that is straight retarded. I remeber messing around with something like that on a friend's car about 10-12 years ago when I was in my teenaged years, but even then we just did it as a joke. Ran it around town for a few hours, got tired of the noise, and put it back together right.

Why don't you not say retarded. How do you know if people will take offense to it?

People have used spacers for years to gauge what kind of sound level you want and/or will tolerate- more or less spacers helps you judge. It is ghetto, but there's not much choice. If you don't like it, then fine- I don't get fumers in the car- the gap is tiny and I fell fiiiiil;mmmmmmvzv;lcxvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Archived