LegacyGT.com

Exedy Clutch reviews?

AngryLitho

SO I'm getting ready to have installed an Exedy Stage 1 Clutch with 06-07 OEM WRX Flywheel, and I've ran the hell out of the searches but no reviews of anyone running it, and saying how it is. All I've found is ACT HD and SPECS but none of Exedy. Soo anyone running this setup? Please no ACT/SPEC setups, I want info on Exedy. Thanks.

I think Excedy stage 1 isn't rated very high as far as clamping force. If your modified you'd be better off getting something else. The ACT HD clutch (420ft./lbs.) w/ OEM '06 WRX flywheel is a very nice combo. Drives nearly identical to stock.

That's what I'm gathering from reading up on it. I'm goin to IAG Monday to get the Exedy put in. I'm slipping in 3rd-5th and sometimes in second and I need it fixed ASAP. I think I'm just goin to go with Exedy and later down the road go with the ACT, now that being said, do I have to replace the 06 WRX Fly again?

Yea I kinda did, I'm stupid, I KNOW! But it's the only thing I had readily available at such a short notice. I've read up on it and the consensus is a 35-45% increase over stock so, around 340Ibs-Ft rating, which isn't bad considering I'm only stage 1, right?

when is it being installed?

This Monday, and I'm not really modded yet :lol: Just stage 1 and I have all the parts for stage 2 but that's waiting, wedding, and the wifey would have my baby maker if I worked on the car now, she pretty much took my right nut because of the clutch, so I'm thinkin this isn't that bad. Thanks all for the input, it's hard to find anything about it, but I'll be sure to post after install and write a small review. I didn't know about Exedy being the maker of the STI's OEM clutch, learn something everyday. Thanks again.

I got the excedy stage 1 clutch after my stock clutch was in a very short amount of time fatigued by the addition of stage 2, It has very smooth similar to stock engagement, The pedal feel is a little tighter too especially when new, after about 1k miles it will start feeling pretty much like stock just with alot more confidence that its ganna hold the power down. P.S got the act flywheel with it aswell.

I have an Exedy Stage 1 clutch and Lightweight Flywheel too. Not installed right now, but they will be in a few days. I have a friend with a Civic that has a stage 1 organic from Exedy and I really liked the feel of it, so I went with a known quantity. I'm sure they will work out fine.

I got the excedy stage 1 clutch after my stock clutch was in a very short amount of time fatigued by the addition of stage 2, It has very smooth similar to stock engagement, The pedal feel is a little tighter too especially when new, after about 1k miles it will start feeling pretty much like stock just with alot more confidence that its ganna hold the power down. P.S got the act flywheel with it aswell.

Thanks, I was looking for something like this. I'm not trying to need a hydraulic leg/piston to be able to push the clutch in, something similar to the stock engagement point, but still grab during hard shifting. I'm actually on my way to go get it point in now :rolleyes:

Yea I kinda did, I'm stupid, I KNOW! But it's the only thing I had readily available at such a short notice. I've read up on it and the consensus is a 35-45% increase over stock so, around 340Ibs-Ft rating, which isn't bad considering I'm only stage 1, right?

Stage 1 is around 305 ft.lbs. I think the safest is to be about 20%+ under the max rating. But you should be fine.

I just got it installed today, and first impression is not bad! I notice a little bit of chatter when I step on the gas, at any RPM, idle none at all. The engagement is smooth, and the pedal tension isn't half bad either, pretty close to stock. I got my DP put in too, but didn't load Stage 2 yet because of reading up on that setup w/ the stock UP and the cat breaking up and destroying turbos. Still reading up on it, and any good threads I should check out?

Congrats. Be easy on your clutch in the beginning 500 miles;) I'm sure people have ran stage 2 with a catted up but better to be safe than sorry. You can always gut your stock up and do the resistor mod for piece of mind.

I'm def. taking it easy, the chatter is anytime the car is under load, anytime I press on the gas. I've got a Turbo XS flex UP, just gonna have to wait till after this weekend, getting married:rolleyes:.

Litho - I've got about 82k on my 2002 WRX, the clutch has been slipping since about 75k so I have been researching a near future replacement too. I'm thinking about going with the "Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch Kit" and their "lightweight chrome moly flywheel". Is that what you went with and if so, do you mind telling us how much you paid? The best pricing I can find for those online is going to come to at at least $700. Also, if you don't mind, did you shop around for the install and how much did the labor wind up costing you?

Thanks

I got a good deal from the guys at IAG Performance in Westminster, MD. I just have the stock 06-07 WRX OEM Flywheel, and the Exedy Stage 1. From all my readings I've found that SPEC/ACT setups run around 700 and the Exedy seems to be the cheaper. Check out King of Parts, or 5-Star performance, I see they have some good prices, and Jeremy is a pretty cool dude. I didn't order my online just cause of no down time. Thanks kevkel!

Depends on where you take it some shops run about $70 to as high as $100, it's about a 4-5 hour job depending on the shop, some guys run into the problem with the torque fly bolts, and it can run longer, but average it's $300 so job, from my experience anyways.

Archived