LegacyGT.com

Looking at a used not so stock LGT

TJ213

05, 60k miles, want to get it for around a dead even trade for my '07 Civic Si sedan w/ 20k miles

Dealer doesn't know its not stock I guess, but there's a K&N SRI, Cobb Heatshield, boost gage, BOV and either the LGT has the stiffest and grabbiest clutch ever or an aftermarket clutch, and what also seems like a short shifter (also has a momo knob). I don't know what else because I've never driven another LGT. Body roll also seemed minimal which was surprising.

One thing is it did take about 6 seconds to start up, had a CEL, and cruise was blinking. The dealer is getting me the codes tomorrow. Guy at the dealer with a very modified (think roll cage) WRX and Evo said he checked out the motor and it seems good still.

Is this car worth getting or is it a time bomb? Anything in particular to look for?

btw, I noticed there is not much below 2k rpm in, even with decent boost, is that normal on these cars. It looked to be running about 1.2+ bar in 2nd at full throttle, note that this is 5k+ feet in altitude.

btw, this is in the Lakewood, CO area, if someone with experience with these cars would be willing to take help me take a look at it I would appreciate it, and would be willing to reasonably compensate them for their time.

05, 60k miles, want to get it for around a dead even trade for my '07 Civic Si sedan w/ 20k miles

Dealer doesn't know its not stock I guess, but there's a K&N SRI, Cobb Heatshield, boost gage, BOV and either the LGT has the stiffest and grabbiest clutch ever or an aftermarket clutch, and what also seems like a short shifter (also has a momo knob). I don't know what else because I've never driven another LGT. Body roll also seemed minimal which was surprising.

One thing is it did take about 6 seconds to start up, had a CEL, and cruise was blinking. The dealer is getting me the codes tomorrow. Guy at the dealer with a very modified (think roll cage) WRX and Evo said he checked out the motor and it seems good still.

Is this car worth getting or is it a time bomb? Anything in particular to look for?

btw, I noticed there is not much below 2k rpm in, even with decent boost, is that normal on these cars. It looked to be running about 1.2+ bar in 2nd at full throttle, note that this is 5k+ feet in altitude.

btw, this is in the Lakewood, CO area, if someone with experience with these cars would be willing to take help me take a look at it I would appreciate it, and would be willing to reasonably compensate them for their time.

Yes even the LGT have a poor bottom end but once the turbo comes on full spool you will feel it and it keeps giving thru the RPM range. The clutch on the LGT's are stiff and have very little pedal travel from engaged to disengaged but if you are used to driving fwd or rwd drive cars you will notice the clutch is "heavier" than they are stop n go traffic can work your clutch leg. If it threw a CEL there are two probable cause one something malfunctioned(ing) and needs to be replace could be a ari filter of low fluids or bad 02 sensor OR someone was modifying it mayeb they put on or took off the intake or took out a cat or changed something but the CEl will tell all once the dealer gets it. Other thatn that drive it and listen for and feel for vibrations not casues by normal driving if it has a short throw in it the previous owner may or may not have been " goosing" somem ppl drive manual better than others thats all im saying :lol:

If you dont know a lot about the LGT, then I would honestly say steer clear of this one. Not trying to be rude or anything, it could be a good deal... But what I mean by that is you kinda need to know what to look for as far as modifying goes to see why that CEL is blinking.

My guess... And this is without seeing the car, is that the previous owner had a COBB AP hooked up to it, then when he sold the car, he reverted back to stock. Now, this could be as simple as him/her removing the CAT in the UP and/or DP so he could go Stage 2, or it could be something serious. Just because the dealer will give you the codes, doesnt mean that it tells you exactly what is going on. He could have also put an aftermarket DP on it, which would throw codes if you dont have the AP, or again, something could be wrong.

If you have an 07 Civic Si, they arent a bad car and they have pretty good retention value, so you should have the ability to get a better deal than the 05 LGT with 60k miles and the possibility of some issues with random mods.

I would say hold out for something better. I'm not saying that everyone should stay away from modded cars by any means, just that the person needs to know what they are getting into, especially before getting rid of a decent car like the Civic Si and having the possibility of getting a car with possible problems.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

That's a silly financial decision; you're Si sedan is worth more than that Legacy.

Dealers never want to do a straight up trade anyways; unless it's at a Honda dealer that can turn around your Si pretty quickly.

Find out a mod list and the CEL codes, it may be because it has mods and a stock maps that dont support them. Try to get under it and see what suspension parts it has as well. Also the LGT does not have too much under 2500 RPMs, we call it turbo lag.

Depends on what the CEL is. If it was modified previously and the upgrades still are on the car... CEL is probably because of those. The previous owner probably had a Cobb Accessport that deleted or ignored those codes.

A high flow DP and a up-pipe without a cat would kick off the CEL.

Post up a link, could have been someones car local here. There may be more information on this site on the car /previous owner.

Cobb heat shield means aftermarket downpipe. Which would throw a code unless tuned with a AP. There is a good chance this car is a stage 2 or more that just sold the AP. This would cause CEL's and the car with a stock map isn't very low end powerful.

You have 2 outcomes. You buy the car, Buy a AP and download the map and you got a stage 2 or more right out of the box.

Or you buy the car and it ends up being a blown up one. The fact that it took 6 seconds to start kinda scares me. You should take it to someone and have them check it out before you sign on the dotted line.

The CEL came back as a loose gas cap, I'll go back and have a Subi dealer look at the car this weekend.

I say BS!! I don't even think our cars throw cels from loose gas caps. And that is a easy excuse to give for a cel. My money would be on it has to do with the 02 sensors since it's probably got a aftermarket downpipe.

I say BS!! I don't even think our cars throw cels from loose gas caps. And that is a easy excuse to give for a cel. My money would be on it has to do with the 02 sensors since it's probably got a aftermarket downpipe.

They actually do, sadly. :lol: I've been the victim of it twice. :redface:

It will go away with a simple unscrew and re-screw, then drive for a bit and turn the car off. Not saying this is the REAL reason for the cell, but it does exist.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

They actually do, sadly. :lol: I've been the victim of it twice. :redface:

It will go away with a simple unscrew and re-screw, then drive for a bit and turn the car off. Not saying this is the REAL reason for the cell, but it does exist.

+1

It's happened to me aswell. I turn the hell out of the gas cap now after filling - 10 times atleast. People at pumps next to me must think im a freak. :lol:

Cobb heat shield means aftermarket downpipe. Which would throw a code unless tuned with a AP. There is a good chance this car is a stage 2 or more that just sold the AP. This would cause CEL's and the car with a stock map isn't very low end powerful.

You have 2 outcomes. You buy the car, Buy a AP and download the map and you got a stage 2 or more right out of the box.

Or you buy the car and it ends up being a blown up one. The fact that it took 6 seconds to start kinda scares me. You should take it to someone and have them check it out before you sign on the dotted line.

50/50 shot. You're doing the right thing. Find someone with experience and take them w/ you. Go to a local shop and pay someone to look at it for you. If it ends up okay, you could save a ton on mods. If it ends up a ragged out POS, you're better off finding another. But play it safe, if you cannot find a certain answer or cannot get more history on the car, it's a pretty big gamble. Best case scenario, you spend $600 on an Cobb AccessPort and you have a stage 2 LGT. Worst case... :eek:

________

JanexxxJanexxxJane cam

personally i wouldn't trade in your si... before buying my LGT, i was looking at the SI sedan and it was way more expensive than the LGT. definitely holds its value. plus the 05 LGT has 60k miles AND modded... def sounds like trouble ready to happen considering it was throwing CELs. overall it just seems too risky.

i'd def hold out for a lower mileage stock LGT. just my $.02

Archived