LegacyGT.com

I Drove a Silver, 5EAT, GT Wagon (pics)

OK:

Been talking with dealer # 2 who has given me a price of 3% over invoice with no BS (add on charges for undercoating, scotch guard and stuff like that). I want a base GT with a 5MT but they called and said they had a limited wagon with the 5EAT......and asked if I wanted to drive it.....OK, twist my arm!!!!

General driving impressions are that this car is as special as we think it will be. VERY SOLID, quiet and firm. Handling is better than I am so lets leave it at that :D

Now I've only owned autos and have been driving my wife's V70 with a 5MT for a few years. That car has convinced me that I'm getting a 5MT on MY next car. However, all of the posts on the new sport shift have been so positive that I had to try it.

In short, I still want the 5MT. The shifts were much better than the 4EAT on my 01 Outback but this is still an auto. You just don’t get the instantaneous gear selection of a manual.

Having said that the car is a rocket. At first I wasn't that impressed but I soon realized that was because the car is soooooo quiet I really wasn't feeling the speed like in the 01. Kind of like, aw shucks, that wasn't that special and then I look at the speedo and am shocked I'm doing 65!.

Here are the pics:

gtwagon_silver_02.jpg.96e6f1173185285e5570110d81c45463.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the pics and impressions SoldonSubie! I too will drive both before deciding for sure, but I'd say I'm 90% sure I want a manual. I think my left foot will get bored too quickly! :lol: -Ian

Thanks for sharing that report. I just ordered that same vehicle so naturally, I'm really interested in your impressions. - Did you use the manual gear selection of Sportshift? How quickly does it respond? - Did you notice any turbo lag from a start? In my case, I've been driving a Subaru 5MT for some time and I'm not convinced that the reinforcements on the new 5MT are going to pan out in the long run. Ken

OK: Here are my answers: 1) Turbo lag. In general there was a smooth delivery of power. When the tranny downshifted there was a "WOW" delivery of power. The only time I was disappointed with the power was from a standstill. From a light or a stop sign the initial push was somewhat lacking, then the turbo kicks and look out. Ironically the only other turbo I have more than casual experience with is the Volvo 2.5T (5cyl on S80 and v70XC) that I’ve had on several rental cars. The Volvo actually felt more powerful before turbo engagement. However, after the turbo “kicks” there’s no comparison. 2) Transmission: My view on new cars is you only drive them during the warranty period anyway. 60K miles will be a good time period for me (about 4 ½ years) so I’m not worried about mechanical breakdown. My impression on the tranny is that it’s an auto. My biggest frustration with the 4EAT on my 01 outback is if the auto shifts into 2nd there is NO HOPE in getting it to downshift. When in regular “D” mode this transmission was the same way. I must admit that I didn’t try to downshift from second to first with the sport shift. I did try and was able to do it from third to second at will. I’m no professional driver by any stretch of the imagination. I will say that I feel I would have had more control and had quicker manual shifts with a 5MT than the 5EAT was able to do. Then again it was only a 15-minute test drive and I’m not that used to the sport shift setup.

I'm planning on driving a GT LTD sedan with SportShift this weekend. I'm no pro racer either, but hopefully I'll be able to take my time and get an impression of it. I already ordered a base GT sedan with 5MT, so I find it unlikely that the sportshift will sway my opinion.

[quote name='Th3Franz']I'm planning on driving a GT LTD sedan with SportShift this weekend. I'm no pro racer either, but hopefully I'll be able to take my time and get an impression of it. I already ordered a base GT sedan with 5MT, so I find it unlikely that the sportshift will sway my opinion.[/quote] Obviously you had better report your findings to us :D

Where you testing Franz, Don Miller? Sounds excellent Soldon, I should go test out that 2.5i/Auto Wagon sitting at the dealership or maybe the LL Bean Wagon for a decent feel. Never driven an H6 subaru yet since all have been OBs and nothing too special at that until now (H6/5EAT).

I called up Carlos the fleet manager at frank's irvine subaru (irvine ca) in the afternoon and he informed me that there was a gt ltd wagon auto that was dropped off just a couple of hours ago and he told me to come down for a test drive. When i got there the plastic coverings were still on it. so it didn't look as nice as the above pics but who cares, and the rims had the numbers on it too. It was well worth it (though one little complaint the Key is not like the JDM version where the keyless remote is built into the key - the triangle key?? a little disappointed, add that to the list) but non the less the car was great.. I've driven the TL, BMW 3series, G35 and compared to the other EAT shifters this is very good, shifts really quickly no lag. the 1st, 2nd gears are great! a lot of torque. I can't wait for the sedan to come out with the manual tranny to compare. and mentioned earlier from a stand still it is a little slow... till the turbo hits.. and also recomendation, try going from 3rd to 2nd... WOW.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']I need to see a side by side of a GT LTD wagon in silver and in Regal Blue Pearl. Is that so hard?[/quote] Yes. Yes it is. :P[/quote] It really shouldn't be... There has to be someone out there with pics of a RBP wagon!

What sounds nice about the auto is the g force sensors to not shift in the middle of a turn. In the TL, that is the only time I switch it to manual because it has a tendency to shift in the middle of the curves. The 6MT in the TL is too aggressive in that 1st gear is so short that it is hard to accelerate moderately and smoothly in 1st. I'm doubting the Subie 5MT will be like that, but I can't wait to compare the two.

Archived