LegacyGT.com

What cleaning products do you use?

You can get those expensive waxes for peace of mind if you like, but applied properly many different types of waxes and sealants can be used. It's all a matter fo finding which ones work best for you and trial and error. It's not set in stone that Wolfgang or Danase is going to do anything more for you than a bottle of Turtle Wax if you're able to apply it correctly.

Our products are not expensive. We keep our prices lower so the average joe can feel comfortable using them as well.

You can get those expensive waxes for peace of mind if you like, but applied properly many different types of waxes and sealants can be used. It's all a matter fo finding which ones work best for you and trial and error. It's not set in stone that Wolfgang or Danase is going to do anything more for you than a bottle of Turtle Wax if you're able to apply it correctly.

It's not for peace of mind. I have used everything off the shelf. I have used Meguirs, I have used mothers, I have used turtle wax. I used Wolfgang and immediatly knew it was better then the others. It had a deeper wet look and gave way more shine then the others. And about 4 months later it still beaded up like new. Something none of the other waxes could do. Yeah if you wax your car every week it will bead all the time too but I would rather spend a little more and do the work about once a season. If you really think a $10 bottle of turtle wax out performs the stuff the pro's use then enjoy waxing every other week and getting the same look as before you waxed just with a protective wax coating.

almost any name brand is good as long as it can be used with what you have: mother's clay bar, then zymol, then mother's hard carnuba wax, armor all wheel cleaner, armor all dash, stoner's glass cleaner, rain-x treatment, zymol leather cleaner, zymol leater conditioner....the list can go on. go out and try stuff and see what you like, beauty is in your eyes...

Armour all is a grease based detailer. It is like a lint and dust magnet and it causes glare that just blinds the driver. Many higher end cleaners are more matte look which keeps it clean longer and doesn't give you that greasy film so you can touch the interior without washing your hands afterwards. The only thing I agree with you on is the Stoner's glass cleaner. That's what I use and if you check ocdetails that's what he suggests too.

It's not for peace of mind. I have used everything off the shelf. I have used Meguirs, I have used mothers, I have used turtle wax. I used Wolfgang and immediatly knew it was better then the others. It had a deeper wet look and gave way more shine then the others. And about 4 months later it still beaded up like new. Something none of the other waxes could do. Yeah if you wax your car every week it will bead all the time too but I would rather spend a little more and do the work about once a season. If you really think a $10 bottle of turtle wax out performs the stuff the pro's use then enjoy waxing every other week and getting the same look as before you waxed just with a protective wax coating.

First of all I detail cars for a living, I'm not talking outta my @$$ fyi ;)

That's fine that you use Wolfgang, they're a great brand and if you like their product then thats great. But theres more than one kind of wax out there. Its all in the eye of the beholder. Some people may not want to fork over the extra few bucks or dont have patience waiting for it to be shipped. In those cases, there are alternatives. In my case, I found the following combo to be a winner: Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 (applied with an orbital buffer), followed up with the 3M Performance Finish Sealant. Altogether 20 bucks. I havn't waxed my car in 6 months and I don't think I'll have to for another 6 months. Theres a car show in June in my neighborhood and I'm probably not gona even bother waxing it. I dare somebody show me a cleaner Legacy than mine!!!! (I feel some pictures coming onnn).

PS. Didnt meant to hate on you Danase, I'm sure you make a great product and that your prices are competitive. I'm all for supporting other members.

glaze.thumb.jpg.a44eb3025f08791f55a1c382062a668d.jpg

I think there is a big difference between the Meguirs orbital buffer line and plain old hand wax. For a hand wax I like Wolfgang. I don't know much about buffer products since I don't own one.

Pictures of my car won't be competing against you. I live in a apartment and it hasn't been above freezing in months here. She needs a wash bad.

I hear you man. The only thing I applied with the buffer was the glaze - doing it by hand is possible but takes longer and may not look as good. Using a buffer slightly heats up the paint and makes the paint molecules more malleable, giving it a richer look with the polish.

I applied the 3M Performance Finish by hand. After polishing with a buffer thats all thats really required. Sucks its freezing where you live! Give that thing a bath when it warms up!

i use adam's polishes for maintenance... menzerna for heavy polish and p21s for baked in brake dust... i find the process and equipment are more important than than the brand of product you use to a certain point.

for example, if you wash your car body with the same rag you used to wash the wheels, it doesn't matter if you use $5 soap or $1000 soap, it's going to scratch.

i use their full line...

for polishes, I think they are all great (swirl & haze, revive, machine fine polish), but if you want something heavy with the rotary (and know what you are doing), try something like 3m (UK) or menzerna.

waxes, buttery is great and easy to use but doesn't shin as good and machine super wax. but with machine super wax it sweats and turn some rubber/black trims white and hard to get off (be careful or tape it up and you'll be okay).

Leo

Anyone use Adam's polishes or waxes?

but with machine super wax it sweats and turn some rubber/black trims white and hard to get off (be careful or tape it up and you'll be okay)

I try to avoid anything that can stain. Even if you tape, the product still gets into the creases between the tape and the paint leaving white lines through the trim or polish that hasn't been broken down to rub on the paint when you buff. With todays technology, there is no reason a quality cleaner/polish/wax/sealant should stain.

psst... white line through the trim is nothing... white line at the edge of the clear bra SUCKS! but I know what you mean man, i hate faded rubbers/trims... :(

I try to avoid anything that can stain. Even if you tape, the product still gets into the creases between the tape and the paint leaving white lines through the trim or polish that hasn't been broken down to rub on the paint when you buff. With todays technology, there is no reason a quality cleaner/polish/wax/sealant should stain.

• 4 weeks later...
I just bought some Prodrive GC05F's 18x8 and I was curious if you guys think it is safe and recommend the use of Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner Hot Rims. I do not want to damage these beauties.

make sure whatever you use is pH balance/neutral... use boar's brush... don't have one, use a fresh mf towel (costco yellow mf is fine... but don't use those for paint surface). wax them whenever you wax your car to help make your next cleanup easier. good luck!

Leo

I just bought some Prodrive GC05F's 18x8 and I was curious if you guys think it is safe and recommend the use of Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner Hot Rims. I do not want to damage these beauties.

Archived