LegacyGT.com

K&N Typhoon Fitment Incorrect on my 05 GT

daillcyruz

Hey Guys,

I been trying to research this before creating a thread and got some pointers. I bought a used Typhoon off a member and it seems that out of the box the main tube that goes into the engine bay is the same size. I then started searching online to find out some Intakes that K&N shipped had the wrong inlet size. They had 2.5 instead of 2.7. Is this true? I had to buy this dinky Coupler from Autozone but it basically popped off when ERR umm. I was semi-launching my friends EVO. I beat him though then all of a sudden BOOM car shut off! I was like WTF! I tried going to Pep-boys autozone for anythign that would fit but they only have the 2.5 to 3.0 coupler which I already have its to loose and is shaken around and I don't feel comfortable driving it.

Here are pics of what it looks like in my engine bay.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g61/daillcyruz/2005%20Legacy%20Parts/IPAQ_Ima00013.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g61/daillcyruz/2005%20Legacy%20Parts/IPAQ_Ima00014.jpg

Suggestions, please help subby family..

Ok, I'm confused about what the problem is with the coupler you received with the intake. I can say there is no way I would even try driving the car with how you have it set up right now, let alone trying to do some hard launches. The coupler should not be sitting inside the inlet tube in the engine bay like you have it. It should go OVER the inlet tube with a metal clamp just like the other side of the coupler you have attached to the intake. Are you saying the coupler that came with it is not big enough to slide over the outside of the inlet tube? If that's the case you should put your stock intake back on and contact K&N to get the correct coupler. Right now you have nothing keeping that coupler from leaking or from coming apart completely and you probably shouldn't leave it like that.

Ok, I'm confused about what the problem is with the coupler you received with the intake. I can say there is no way I would even try driving the car with how you have it set up right now, let alone trying to do some hard launches. The coupler should not be sitting inside the inlet tube in the engine bay like you have it. It should go OVER the inlet tube with a metal clamp just like the other side of the coupler you have attached to the intake. Are you saying the coupler that came with it is not big enough to slide over the outside of the inlet tube? If that's the case you should put your stock intake back on and contact K&N to get the correct coupler. Right now you have nothing keeping that coupler from leaking or from coming apart completely and you probably shouldn't leave it like that.

Well I got the the Intake used and what I got was this little grey looking ring like this.

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/x-images-more/hose-coupler-cf-intake-kit.image.jpg

Looks nothing like what I have on it now. I guess I didnt know what to do with it. SO...I should fit the 3.0 End over top the inlet tube and then fit the intake piece into the other end? I think thats how I had it before and It wouldnt stay. I called K&N this afternoon and they said I could order the seperare part if needed im bout to look online to see whats up. I will see if i can find the grey piece of try the way i described above. It shouldnt be this hard though.

Yeah #17 and the diagram at the very top with the parts list. The parts list has the measurement of what the rubber coupler should be. The metal pieces are the clamps that hold the coupler in place. You should have one holding it onto the intake tube and another to hold it onto the inlet tube in the engine bay.

Wait a minute, Im suppose to re use my stock hoses that it says to remove in picture 5 here..

Am I really this dumb WTF

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/69-8003_inst.pdf

No, you were correct in removing the hose in figure 5

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Thats what I thought. I have to look @ home to see if I can find that coupler that came with the intake that i got from the guy however. everbody saying it's black and from what I remember that coupler I got was grey. Also I am looking everywhere for this coupler that they have listed on the PDF :(

mine fits like this

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v321/76/31/25513918/n25513918_35419413_6472.jpg

right into the stock hose

Mine also fits just like this, except, I left my heat shield on........It's weird, but your directions are slightly different than mine were. My brand new intake did not come with the hose in picture 17. It just goes straight into the Turbo inlet hose and has 2 clamps that clamp it down. I wonder if this has anything to do with the first intakes being a different diameter?

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Mine also fits just like this, except, I left my heat shield on........It's weird, but your directions are slightly different than mine were. My brand new intake did not come with the hose in picture 17. It just goes straight into the Turbo inlet hose and has 2 clamps that clamp it down. I wonder if this has anything to do with the first intakes being a different diameter?

AHA so I am not dumb!! That what I was reading on the other forums that K&N shipped the wrong inlet tube initially for our cars and some people have called them to get replacement.

This is the thread I found with the exact problem I have.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40351&highlight=typhoon+install

See

hey shipped the wrong size with all the LGT Typhoons. It should be 2.75" and they sent like 2.5" or something.

I called K&N and they shipped me a 2.75" right away. Most just get the 2.5" to work... but that is not my style. Both pipes are 2.75" (just shy actually). No reason to try to get that to work.

It was funny.. .even with the 2.75" I had to work the coupler on... but it was much easier.

I put on my old intake and waited for the new coupler. that is up to you. Everything else went in fine for me.

So what I am thinking guys after talking to K&N which they deny that they sent out the the wrong inlet tube. I am missing the actual Silicon hose tube listed as part P in the part list. I can order that from auto zone they said. I think I need to do that, that's why I am having all of these problems. I tried goggling to see if I can get that anywhere else and It doesnt seem like I can FCK!

Whewww So I guess I was dumb or I had the wrong Original Coupler. I got the K&N part on Monday but got around to installing today on lunch in 20 min. Basically fit like a glove after the 2nd try and clamped at both ends and now im wooshing away. I love my typhoon. :) thanks for all the help guys!!

Archived